Sponsored by:

New Member Greetings from Switzerland!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GetALife75

You are the second ex-BMW owner to give me a positive feedback regarding the 7MT. A slightly heavier clutch is not an issue for me. I just wanted to know whether it is a soft clutch or a firm one. Have previously driven crazy heavy sports clutches and I think the one in the 991 should be much more bearable.

I've been reading up on the PDK and I must say it is very worrying that many owners have complained about the hesitation and stumbling. Worse still is that so far it appears there is no solution for the problem.

I also feel that straight line speed is not the most important criteria. Handling and an engaging drive is more important for me.

I guess at the moment I'm leaning on getting a 7MT and I really should find a dealership that has a demo car for a test drive.

Thanks once again for your valuable feedback!
It's on the slightly heavy side when compare to cars like BMW or Japanese cars, but nowhere near like having an super heavy duty aftermarket clutch that requires some major leg muscle to operate. It won't bother you even in rush hour stop and go traffic.

The only problem (if there is a problem) for PDK is it's urge to upshift to 7th on the normal drive mode. I rarely like to have the car drive under 2000rpm. But the PDK will search that 7th gear as low as with just 1500rpm or so for fuel economy. The only way around it is to drive at sport/sportplus mode all the time.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LandShark
It's on the slightly heavy side when compare to cars like BMW or Japanese cars, but nowhere near like having an super heavy duty aftermarket clutch that requires some major leg muscle to operate. It won't bother you even in rush hour stop and go traffic.

The only problem (if there is a problem) for PDK is it's urge to upshift to 7th on the normal drive mode. I rarely like to have the car drive under 2000rpm. But the PDK will search that 7th gear as low as with just 1500rpm or so for fuel economy. The only way around it is to drive at sport/sportplus mode all the time.
Good to know! A slightly heavier and firmer clutch gives better confidence for a faster shift.

I think all double clutch systems in normal drive mode are programmed this way to obtain optimal fuel economy. Mostly drove the M3 DCT in manual mode unless I was super lazy or stuck in traffic.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to know! A slightly heavier and firmer clutch gives better confidence for a faster shift.

I think all double clutch systems in normal drive mode are programmed this way to obtain optimal fuel economy. Mostly drove the M3 DCT in manual mode unless I was super lazy or stuck in traffic.
Oh, I guess the only thing that I don't like PDK versus DCT/SMG is the PDK default at auto mode versus SMG/DCT default as manual. I found myself being lazy when drove a PDK car (loaner), started the car, and drive in D instead of move the shift to choose manual mode. With SMG/DCT, it makes you to drive it like a manual unless you choice not to. In fact, I've never driven in Auto mode with the SMG (E46) & DCT (E92). I guess this is just a small personal preference.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to the forum and good luck with this decision.

For what it's worth, if I weren't an old dog (30 plus years of driving MT cars) I'd likely be buying a PDK car. For me the experience of using a clutch is just part of the auto-mechanical process of driving a car. Especially so in a sports car. But the PDK can be perfectly engaging in manual mode. With a burning passion, I hate the experience of driving in full auto mode, but nice that it's an option if you're not similarly afflicted.

I'm sorry that I can't offer personal 991 7mt experience; I pick my car up on Tuesday.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My own experience with the PDK in manual mode is that it's not nearly as engaging as a proper MT. I had it in my Turbo that I traded after about 9 months because I just felt the car was lacking something (certainly not straight line speed). But again, that's just my own opinion. Good luck finding a MT car to test drive. They are extremely rare in dealer stock.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:15 AM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by LandShark
Oh, I guess the only thing that I don't like PDK versus DCT/SMG is the PDK default at auto mode versus SMG/DCT default as manual. I found myself being lazy when drove a PDK car (loaner), started the car, and drive in D instead of move the shift to choose manual mode. With SMG/DCT, it makes you to drive it like a manual unless you choice not to. In fact, I've never driven in Auto mode with the SMG (E46) & DCT (E92). I guess this is just a small personal preference.
A small price to pay for a better shifting auto box than the SMG/DCT.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:24 AM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Welcome to the forum and good luck with this decision.

For what it's worth, if I weren't an old dog (30 plus years of driving MT cars) I'd likely be buying a PDK car. For me the experience of using a clutch is just part of the auto-mechanical process of driving a car. Especially so in a sports car. But the PDK can be perfectly engaging in manual mode. With a burning passion, I hate the experience of driving in full auto mode, but nice that it's an option if you're not similarly afflicted.

I'm sorry that I can't offer personal 991 7mt experience; I pick my car up on Tuesday.
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm 40 this year and I still love rowing the gears myself. But having driven the DCT in my M3 previously, I must say it helps to keep the focus on the driving part when I do not need to take my hands of the wheel.

I'm by no means an accomplished driver like so many others are. But I have found that using the paddles on the wheel in manual mode allows me to downshift just that bit later and obviously faster.

Full auto mode is most welcome in stop and go city traffic. But otherwise I hardly ever use it.

Congrats on your new car and this weekend must be a real pain to be waiting for it. But hang in there you are almost across the finish line. Me on the other hand, long way to go ...
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the welcome! Once you have visited and driven around Switzerland and the Alps then you never want to leave this country.

Seems like I am moving along the same line as you. M to 991. The 991 GTS would be wonderful but I would not like to spend more than for a 991S. You must be way over the moon with your new purchase.

Have you previously driven a manual M3 ? How would you compare the new 7MT to the M's 6MT? You mentioned that the shifts are short and precise. What about the engaging gears? Does the shifter enter the gates smoothly and is there any notchiness like in the M's gearbox? Any clunking and loose feeling? In short does the transmission feel like a solid unit instead of being sloppy?

I also used to drive the E93 M3 DCT primarily in manual mode. I would definitely get the PDK if the 7MT does not convince me. Eventually I will go test drive a 991S with the 7MT. That's if I can find one. Not so easy in Switzerland to find cars with manual transmissions.
The manual in the 991 is much more precise than the M3. It has a smooth solid engagement with short throws and a nice click when switching gears. Its nearly perfect IMO. The gearbox is so good in the 991 that it actually changed my mind after i test drove one before i put my order in. I was set on getting the PDK until i test drove the manual. Not an easy decision but you can't go wrong with either the manual or PDK.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As far driving enjoyment definitely get the 7MT. I drive my C4S nearly on a daily basis and absolutely love it. I ordered my car new and it took a few miles to break in, but now it's really amazing.

I'm not sure how close a comparison it would be, but I have a 2000 BMW M roadster and the gearshift in that feels pretty sloppy after driving the 911.

I test drove the PDK and the salesman was very aggressive promoting it, and while I'm sure it's a great piece of engineering it just wasn't that exciting. Using the paddles didn't offer much in the way of reward, so after about 5 minutes I just put it in auto.

As you can tell I'd highly recommend the MT
Old 08-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the welcome! I'm 40 this year and I still love rowing the gears myself. But having driven the DCT in my M3 previously, I must say it helps to keep the focus on the driving part when I do not need to take my hands of the wheel. I'm by no means an accomplished driver like so many others are. But I have found that using the paddles on the wheel in manual mode allows me to downshift just that bit later and obviously faster. Full auto mode is most welcome in stop and go city traffic. But otherwise I hardly ever use it. Congrats on your new car and this weekend must be a real pain to be waiting for it. But hang in there you are almost across the finish line. Me on the other hand, long way to go ...
You live in a wonderful country.... I was there last week and as always was enchanted by the scenery and the people.... As for the transmission I will abstain from promoting my 'box. It sounds like you have no qualms with the 3rd pedal in which case I'd say go MT all the way....
Old 08-28-2015, 04:04 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by hsmith
The manual in the 991 is much more precise than the M3. It has a smooth solid engagement with short throws and a nice click when switching gears. Its nearly perfect IMO. The gearbox is so good in the 991 that it actually changed my mind after i test drove one before i put my order in. I was set on getting the PDK until i test drove the manual. Not an easy decision but you can't go wrong with either the manual or PDK.
Thanks again for confirming that the 7MT is a great gearbox.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:41 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by maxpowers
As far driving enjoyment definitely get the 7MT. I drive my C4S nearly on a daily basis and absolutely love it. I ordered my car new and it took a few miles to break in, but now it's really amazing.

I'm not sure how close a comparison it would be, but I have a 2000 BMW M roadster and the gearshift in that feels pretty sloppy after driving the 911.

I test drove the PDK and the salesman was very aggressive promoting it, and while I'm sure it's a great piece of engineering it just wasn't that exciting. Using the paddles didn't offer much in the way of reward, so after about 5 minutes I just put it in auto.

As you can tell I'd highly recommend the MT
Thank you for your feedback. Yes the OEM BMW shifters are such a big disappointment. That is most unfortunate because the engine and the handling is really fun in the M Roadster.

I personally feel that the PDK would be good for those who wants to achieve the best lap times on track. It keeps you focused on driving and changing gears are fast and easy.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:44 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
You live in a wonderful country.... I was there last week and as always was enchanted by the scenery and the people.... As for the transmission I will abstain from promoting my 'box. It sounds like you have no qualms with the 3rd pedal in which case I'd say go MT all the way....
The UK is not too shabby either. The Lake District for example is gorgeous. I was at Windemere a couple of years ago and would visit more of the region again in the future. Where in Switzerland did you visit last week?

As for the transmission no worries man. Like I said before, there's no right or wrong, good or bad. All down to individual preference.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The UK is not too shabby either. The Lake District for example is gorgeous. I was at Windemere a couple of years ago and would visit more of the region again in the future. Where in Switzerland did you visit last week? As for the transmission no worries man. Like I said before, there's no right or wrong, good or bad. All down to individual preference.
Thanks... we were on the border of Switzerland and Liechtenstein... Haag Only 4 hours from my front door... quicker than the Lake District
Old 08-28-2015, 05:15 PM
GetALife75
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Thanks... we were on the border of Switzerland and Liechtenstein... Haag Only 4 hours from my front door... quicker than the Lake District

Quick Reply: New Member Greetings from Switzerland!