Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche logo script color question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Porsche logo script color question.

I have the chrome logo/model script on my car. And I have seen the script in solid black. But is anything available in a color in between the two? I would love to have the script in anthracite or titanium. Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Debadged, bought a new one and had a body shop paint it, then installed. I hate chrome.

I know the bumper plugs guy will paint any Porsche color, etc. you want too. He does nice work. Got a Cayenne GTS badge from him in the past.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

Wow, STG991 that is really special! Well done sir.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Bought the paints from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ and painted them myself.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Wow, STG991 that is really special! Well done sir.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 PM
BradB
Drifting

Both you guys are awesome. Thanks for sharing. Great work!

Now I just need to figure out what color looks best on my rhodium silver. I want some sort of grey that compliments the silver.

THPorsche: what prep did you do prior to painting the letters? I have used automotivetouchup.com before. Good quality products.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by BradB
Both you guys are awesome. Thanks for sharing. Great work!

Now I just need to figure out what color looks best on my rhodium silver. I want some sort of grey that compliments the silver.

THPorsche: what prep did you do prior to painting the letters? I have used automotivetouchup.com before. Good quality products.
Rhodium??? I thought you had GT Silver?

Agate Grey is a nice OEM color.

The chrome badge needs to be prepped correctly, or the new paint might chip off easily. I'm telling you, bumper plugs does an amazing job. Worth the $$$ believe me. Hassle free too.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:16 AM
BradB
Drifting

Yep, Rhodium. Agate does look pretty safe. It would be close (I think) to matching my track wheels, too.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 AM
gusp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STG, did you debadge yourself? Any tips?

I want to try it but I have seen a ghosting effect on black cars where you can still see the outline of the old logo.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by gusp
STG, did you debadge yourself? Any tips?

I want to try it but I have seen a ghosting effect on black cars where you can still see the outline of the old logo.
Had my body shop guy do it. Actually had him use blue painters tape and boxed in every letter to make sure they went in the exact same spot.

DO NOT use a heat gun or anything. I've seen guys pull up clear coat with the letters doing that because it softens the paint too much.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:48 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, the 991 was supposed to be available with body color script but was later nixed by Marketing Dept. objections due to branding issues. If you look at early Porsche Exclusive catalogs you'll see it. I've done it on my car and love it.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Key Left
Actually, the 991 was supposed to be available with body color script but was later nixed by Marketing Dept. objections due to branding issues. If you look at early Porsche Exclusive catalogs you'll see it. I've done it on my car and love it.
I'd love to see a pic from anyone who has done this! Sounds interesting.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 AM
STG
Race Director

Still quite visible, but more subtle. Basalt Black paint & (gloss) matching badge.

<br/>GTS matte black badge on a black car.

Other than a black car, it's good to have a contrasting color on the badge. A while back (no pic) I saw a GT Silver Panamera with a matching color badge and I didn't like the look. I really put a lot of time thinking about it before doing it myself.

Last edited by STG; 08-27-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Brad, another vote here for BumperPlugs. Eric is one of the very best vendors to the Porsche crowd. The flat black P O R S C H E from the GT3s will also look great, and not require any work/painting.

I guess you could be really ballzy, and have it painted in Guards Red, and play off the calipers and tail lights? But that's pretty "in your face". If you don't like the flat black, go gloss black.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 AM
BradB
Drifting

STG991: those do look stunning on black. But I do agree it might not look as hot on other colors. Rhodium might not work so well. But these examples are helping a lot. Thanks for the effort!

Lexvan: I used BumperPlugs way back in my Boxster days when he just got started. I do trust his skills. If I can figure out which OEM grey or silver would look best I might go that route. Though I do have decent painting skills it might be worth it not to go to all the trouble. I'll have to work the dollars, too and see just how pricey it gets. Gonna be hard to slip this one by the Mrs. 😉

And no, I am not ballsy. I am looking for classy and subtle. I did a quick Plastidip test to see what black script looks like against Rhodium but felt it was too bold. Too much contrast.

I'm a detail guy and little things bug me. To be honest, one of the things that got me started on this adventure was my license plate surround. I like it to coordinate (You guys haven't mentioned what frames you have.) and with the chrome logos it made sense to go with a chrome frame. But most are cheap and ugly. I found a thin subtle one but it still looks out of place on a Porsche. Nice grey, black and carbon frames are easy to find and look decent. So the quest for a perfect "aesthetic balance" continues.

If nothing else it's nice to discuss this here with other like minded geeks. Better than watching my wife roll her eyes. 😖

Here's where I am now. Looking for a change.

Quick Reply: Porsche logo script color question.