Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche logo script color question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Porsche logo script color question.

By the way, the Cayenne GTS badge was done by Bumper Plugs. Match was perfect. Basalt Black.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Brad, I'm running the flat black GT3 P O R S C H E, ceramic black exhaust tips and the carbon fiber black plate frame.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:21 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I did a quick Plastidip test to see what black script looks like against Rhodium but felt it was too bold. Too much contrast.
How long did you leave the plasti-dip on before deciding it was too bold?

Do you have a pic so we could see side by side comparisons?

IMO black would look good but clearly it is SO different from what you've got now that it would take time to get used to it (that's why I ask how long your plastidip experiment lasted).

I would leave the license plate frame alone - it blends in and "goes away". But the script could be bolder. Dark gray or black would play off the dark accents at the rear of the car: namely tires, exhaust, shadows from horizontal vents, and glass which is perceived as dark (relative to the paint).

I'm not a shiny chrome fan and I prefer to keep color schemes somewhat simple. To me....silver with black accents is perfect. I would not play up red (taillights) just because it's too busy (for me).

Of course this is all very subjective and personal and you must do what you love.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Brad, looks like pricing is $199 for the painted PORSCHE. Available in 16 OEM colors. Agate is one of them. That might be a good choice against the Rhodium. Enough contrast. GT Silver would be too similar, and less blue-ish. Platinum would be too taupe-ish.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
How long did you leave the plasti-dip on before deciding it was too bold?

Do you have a pic so we could see side by side comparisons?

IMO black would look good but clearly it is SO different from what you've got now that it would take time to get used to it (that's why I ask how long your plastidip experiment lasted).

I would leave the license plate frame alone - it blends in and "goes away". But the script could be bolder. Dark gray or black would play off the dark accents at the rear of the car: namely tires, exhaust, shadows from horizontal vents, and glass which is perceived as dark (relative to the paint).

I'm not a shiny chrome fan and I prefer to keep color schemes somewhat simple. To me....silver with black accents is perfect. I would not play up red (taillights) just because it's too busy (for me).

Of course this is all very subjective and personal and you must do what you love.
I put Plastidip on just a few letters, pulled off the masking (which took forever) stepped back and immediately said "Oh hell no!" And immediately pulled it off. Lol! You're right, I probably should have mulled it over a bit. But my gut reaction was just TOO much contrast. Sorry, no pics.

As Lexvan suggests, perhaps one of the OEM grays will work. I just have to get my head around the cost. Maybe I should pull off a few letters and tell my wife they fell off in the wind!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 PM
BradB
Drifting

And another thought was should I go with satin silver (or gloss silver) to emulate what is on my Polar Silver 993? (Polar Silver is very similar to Rhodium. They have a blue tint.)

I gues the satin might not be something BumperPlugs could do. In fact, a quick look reveals they don't even have a standard arctic silver.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Brad, tell Mrs. Brad it's a safety feature. She'll say "OK".
Old 08-27-2015, 03:16 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used Eric at bumper plugs several times and as others have said he is all about customer service AND quality products. Easy to debadge......just use dental floss/fishing line and get behind the letters. Do a see saw motion, go slow and they come right off. "Roll" your fingers over any residue left over. If ghosting present just have a detailer polish it out. Easy!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
Brad, tell Mrs. Brad it's a safety feature. She'll say "OK".
She may buy that. "I'm only thinking of you, honey."
Old 08-27-2015, 09:56 PM
STG
Race Director

I've been using the Altec frames for years. In this case, I had the perimeter painted GT Silver (to match the car). Made the border wider to hide the extra license plate state graphics. In the pics, the license plate number is erased for simplicity.

I had originally had a version done with the same color as the badge. It looked too much like a picture frame, and wanted it to blend in more. I'm very pleased with the results.

Rear reflectors painted, along with ceramic coating the stainless exhaust tips to match the badge as well.

I'm the anti-chrome guy. No bling for me.

To me, some of the small details make a big impact.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 PM
BradB
Drifting

^^^ Very cool. And great minds think alike to some extent. I also love the Atek frames, especially the Turismo model which has a moulded in clear cover. I used one on my BMW M235i. The car has the carbon fiber package so to tie in the license plate I applied a carbon fiber film to the outside edges. I was actually thinking of doing one with Rhodium edges for the 991.

I also see you painted your rear valence. I did, too.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Default Porsche logo script color question.

Originally Posted by BradB

I also see you painted your rear valence. I did, too.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:34 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

just back from having the bumper re-sprayed so to get rid of the few paint nicks/chips and imperfections that came via the previous owner (in case i go to sell the car, one less thing for someone to worry about). i took it as an opportunity to replace the "chrome" script with oem black emblems sourced from Sucoast....a couple of pics, i like how it turned out. the car's color is basalt black.

Name:  IMG_6783_zpsyxdtaxai.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  216.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6783_zpsgvhnxt8e.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  216.2 KB
Old 02-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

Love the black badging Porsche used on the 60th Club Coupes. I did shorten my sub-badge from "911 Carrera GTS" to just "GTS," which cleans up the look for me. I did it myself with a new GTS badge from Suncoast. Easy to do.
The CF license plate frame is an Ebay special!
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
\I did shorten my sub-badge from "911 Carrera GTS" to just "GTS," which cleans up the look for me. I did it myself with a new GTS badge from Suncoast. Easy to do.
Updated the GTS badge as well... but in my case had the dealer do it for me. License plate frame is the black stainless Porsche 'GTS' model for a double dose of GTS-ing.

Quick Reply: Porsche logo script color question.