Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A manual transmission on mountain roads is ideal!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the info. I might drive down there on the way to either PCE in Atlanta or side trip to Porsche Driving School in Alabama.

To thomnellie - So I assume you are waiting for the self driving car! It will be faster with less involvement whatsoever. Just got my MT GTS coupe yesterday and it is nice to be back rowing your own gear. IMHO, you can have your own opinion and I can have mine. Both transmissions are great to each individual.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
If going as fast as possible was really your goal, you wouldn't have bought a Targa.
Got me there. I wouldn't have bought a Porsche either.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:12 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
For me, manual transmissions are as outmoded as manual choke and throttle **** on the dashboards of pre 1960s cars and the spark advance lever on pre 1930s vehicles. They are fun to tinker with for a while, but ultimately irritating and imprecise. All hail the DCT.
In your opinion.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:13 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Going slower=YAWN
So buy a GT3.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:29 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by ChoyV
Thanks for the info. I might drive down there on the way to either PCE in Atlanta or side trip to Porsche Driving School in Alabama. To thomnellie - So I assume you are waiting for the self driving car! It will be faster with less involvement whatsoever. Just got my MT GTS coupe yesterday and it is nice to be back rowing your own gear. IMHO, you can have your own opinion and I can have mine. Both transmissions are great to each individual.
I am dreading the arrival of the self-driving car. They won't be allowed to go faster and will be nothing more than an inefficient form of mass transportation. Their development is the pursuit of increased sales through planned obsolescence. The general pattern is to stimulate sales by offering new features attractive to drivers like my wife. I'll take the train instead. If one its purely interested in driving involvement, avoid a modern automobile entirely. One of my most engaging driving experiences was going flat out in a 1946 ****** Jeep down a gravel road. No power steering, no power brakes, no synchromesh, no top, practically no windshield, a suspension that made me aware of every pebble, and constantly on the edge of adhesion. I was going very slowly by modern standards, but in terms of personal safety and the laws of mechanics I was going very quickly and was constantly aware of it. It was thrilling. Driving 125 mph on the autobahn in a modern vehicle is a big yawn in comparison.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
So buy a GT3.
Don't tempt me. But I would probably would have stretched to a 458 Speciale if I wanted something track oriented.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:43 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't tempt me. But I would probably would have stretched to a 458 Speciale if I wanted something track oriented.
Go ahead just do it. We know you can afford it.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:18 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by ChoyV
Go ahead just do it. We know you can afford it.
"Afford" is a very flexible concept.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM
thomnellie
Racer

For those who want greater driver involvement. http://automotivethinker.com/transmi...x-and-dog-box/
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

For those who want greater driver involvement. http://automotivethinker.com/transmi...x-and-dog-box/
Or you could buy a Fiat 500 (the real one from the 50's) and learn to drive a crash box well. Greatest laugh in the world, slow as s...t but with that drive train and the rear swing axles you've gotta have no feel for cars not to have fun. And all the while doing 20-40mph (top speed 59mph ).
Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
Or you could buy a Fiat 500 (the real one from the 50's) and learn to drive a crash box well. Greatest laugh in the world, slow as s...t but with that drive train and the rear swing axles you've gotta have no feel for cars not to have fun. And all the while doing 20-40mph (top speed 59mph ).
Rear swing axles on my VW Beetle was the reason why my first Porsche was a Boxster, not a 911. Too much time spent going down the road backwards. There were some other great low power low speed drifters, such as original '60s Mini and the Ford Cortina ( with or without Cosworth four), although the Mini was synchro on second through fourth and the Cortina on all four forward gears.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree 100% with the OP. Driving a manual sports car on a twisty mountain road is the epitome of fun driving for me. The feeling of blipping the throttle and perfectly timing the downshift directly from a high to low gear and then accelerating is extremely satisfying and fun.

I drove the same roads with a paddle shift car and I found myself reaching for the radio controls since the driving experience was so much worse. It was still nice, but nothing like the zen like state you get with the manual. At no point in either drive did I see someone with a stopwatch timing my shift speeds, just the occasional police that I tried to avoid.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by ignacio
I am vacationing near the Blue Ridge Parkway in western North Carolina. What an experience to drive this road in a new c4s. It is flawless!
Congrats! Very glad you are having so much fun with it. Enjoy.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:42 AM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ignacio
I am vacationing near the Blue Ridge Parkway in western North Carolina. What an experience to drive this road in a new c4s. It is flawless!

That is great! Enjoy!!! I just did this in the spring. Went up to the Little Switzerland area and had an absolute blast!! Put about 3K miles on the 991 and enjoyed every one of them!

Post up some pics!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:13 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I agree 100% with the OP. Driving a manual sports car on a twisty mountain road is the epitome of fun driving for me. The feeling of blipping the throttle and perfectly timing the downshift directly from a high to low gear and then accelerating is extremely satisfying and fun.

I drove the same roads with a paddle shift car and I found myself reaching for the radio controls since the driving experience was so much worse. It was still nice, but nothing like the zen like state you get with the manual. At no point in either drive did I see someone with a stopwatch timing my shift speeds, just the occasional police that I tried to avoid.
Yes. It is perfect. Because the car blips it for you. But, you still get to push that third pedal!

Behold! Porsche ****!

Last edited by chuck911; 10-01-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: A manual transmission on mountain roads is ideal!