Sponsored by:

Dr. ColorChip on stone guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 PM
StevieG.
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dr. ColorChip on stone guard

I have a small rock chip in my stone guard and would like to know if anybody has used Dr. ColorChip to repair areas on the stone guards?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:20 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Just replace the stone guard. Its clear vinyl. Painting a clear vinyl is not going to work so well.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not sure I followed your question entirely.... Are you saying you have a rock chip in the paint, that is under the stone guard, or that you simply have a "chip" in the clear plastic guard? If the mark is only in the stone guard, and you can't live with it, the I'd second what the Dr recommends, and replace the film. You can order from dealer or Suncoast. Just peel off the damaged one, clean the body thoroughly, and install the new one.

If the chip is actually in the body, into the paint, then I would NOT recommend you try to paint with the stone guard in place. Remove the film, fix the chip, then install a new stone guard. You try to apply paint on the film, through it to the chip, and there is a really good chance you will have something that looks much worse, and in fact you may damage the film and have to replace it anyways!

Well, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it! Good luck!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:46 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

If the damage is on the film then it is supposed to self heal after several day of sun exposures. Provided the film is of the high quality.

Last edited by ChoyV; 08-26-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To your base question Dr Colorchip does work rather well but it takes a bit to get the technique right smearing it on just right and then the right pressure with the solvent to get it smooth. But when done right it really does fill the pits and can be smooth. So far all the colors I have used matched the factory rather well. Have used it for years on several cars. Glad I do clear bra now so I do not have to as much. It does take practice but good news you can just wipe off errors till you get it right unlike normal touch up paint.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 PM
StevieG.
Intermediate

The stone guard that I'm referring to is the factory installed stone guard between door and rear wheels. I have used Dr. ColorChip on hood and have been pleased with results.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:24 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

easier to just replace it, its just inexpensive film if it is damaged, but it should indeed heal itself. I switched my factory pieces to xpel and it does heal itself. Though now I have Magna Grafik magnetic vinyl stone guards in black over them that I really like the look of on my white car.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:28 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have used it and works great. What they said, right on point!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Dangelus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dr. ColorChip on stone guard

The film between rear wheels and doors is easy and cheap to replace. Best known action plan.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangelus
The film between rear wheels and doors is easy and cheap to replace. Best known action plan.
That would be a great DIY write up!
Old 08-29-2015, 03:17 PM
StevieG.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChoyV
If the damage is on the film then it is supposed to self heal after several day of sun exposures. Provided the film is of the high quality.
I went to the dealer for first oil change and I go to show service rep. the damaged stone guard and I cant find the chip/scrape. Sure enough it self healed and is 100% fine.

Quick Reply: Dr. ColorChip on stone guard