Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast does a GT3 pull away from a GTS....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:42 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand what you are trying to say. Yes, the GT3 is pulling away from you at the straight, but that's expected from the power & weight different I assume. It seems it pulling away very well but no really out of the ordinary or expectation IMHO. Try to shoot it again with a Turbo/S in front next time (if you have a chance), and you'll think "man, that Turbo dusted me (on the straight)" and it'll make the GT3 looks "not slow" but doesn't pull away as hard from you.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:21 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Great driver in GTS!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Both off line all over the place? Not sure if you know that track well but I don't think so. If you mean when the gt3 went left for no reason sure...I've been going to that track ten years. Also the cones are NOT set exact. If you are watching the same video I am you'll see the cones in the esses are off and far in the dirt. The second or third one is way off! Turn one after the straight is set too early. I'm not a pro but have driven around it with many many people, have buddies who do the time attack competitions three and a friend who instructs with Porsche. Another who raced in the Peyton series. We know the track pretty well. If I'm still driving off the line after ten years then shoot me and I quit 😂

Maybe YouTube some of the record setting laps there if you're not familiar with the track.

It's really hard to post on here sometimes. I mean Jeez! I only share on here for fun and to share info or fun/learning experiences. Then people start saying negative **** or getting wild about it. TO ME -
If the faster car was in back u wouldn't see the front car pull away like that, the gap would decrease even though the person ahead would appear faster at first due to them getting on throttle first. And the gap wouldn't increase as it does specifically in the straights which shows the power difference. Even more so you or someone else mentioned the GTS gained under braking so it's really all showing the gains in the straight then. But maybe I'm an idiot and have no idea what I'm saying.
Welcome to Rennlist, its own unique little corner of internet crazy where you would think that the camaraderie of the 911 would prevail NOT!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LandShark
I understand what you are trying to say. Yes, the GT3 is pulling away from you at the straight, but that's expected from the power & weight different I assume. It seems it pulling away very well but no really out of the ordinary or expectation IMHO. Try to shoot it again with a Turbo/S in front next time (if you have a chance), and you'll think "man, that Turbo dusted me (on the straight)" and it'll make the GT3 looks "not slow" but doesn't pull away as hard from you.
I agree that's what expected. That's why I posted it. Was just an example we don't see often.

Originally Posted by isugoo
Great driver in GTS!
Thanks. Glad it's acceptable 😂

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Welcome to Rennlist, its own unique little corner of internet crazy where you would think that the camaraderie of the 911 would prevail NOT!
Right! Wild! It can almost be worse than the young kids going nuts in be M3 forums. I just saw another thread in here where I guys made his SW vs GMG exhaust videos and people started talking **** for no damn reason. Why's everyone so god damn angry!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Buttonwillow...best lap times were 1.5 seconds apart, both stock.
Watch through the esses and then the main straight...he just pulls away fast on the straights! Its my friend in the GT3.

Edit: just posted it for the straights and esses to show how he pulls away under power. Not sure if he was driving to the max otherwise.

991GTS chasing 991GT3 @ Buttonwillow C13 - YouTube

I have both. Gt3 much faster in a straight.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that's what expected. That's why I posted it. Was just an example we don't see often.

Thanks. Glad it's acceptable 😂

Right! Wild! It can almost be worse than the young kids going nuts in be M3 forums. I just saw another thread in here where I guys made his SW vs GMG exhaust videos and people started talking **** for no damn reason. Why's everyone so god damn angry!
MOST OF THE COUNTRY IS ANGRY, ALL THE FILTERED CRAP ON THE NEWS , THE TURD'S IN WASHINGTON SCREWING THIS GREAT LAND AND IT'S PEPS ... MY MOTTO YOUR EGO IS NOT YOUR AMIGO THANKS FOR POSTING ...
Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
If you're really trying to compare acceleration the bigger problem is the GT3 being in front always gets to start accelerating first, so will always look to be faster. In fact if you switched the cars around then the GT3 would see the GTS accelerate and pull away first, and it would look like the GTS was faster! Especially if the GTS driver takes a better line resulting in a faster exit speed, this could totally erase the GT3 advantage and you would be convinced the GTS is faster- when really its the driver.
Great point. Here is the mathematical calculation that validates your point. When people talk about "I closed the gap under braking, and in the corners", it is true that you are minimizing the distance gap. But, you are not minimizing the time gap.

Let's assume two identical cars, with one car ahead by one second at corner exit (30 MPH). That is equal to a distance of 44 feet. As you go down the straight, assume a maximum speed of 120 MPH. Assuming the same one second gap, the car in front will now be ahead by 176 feet. Under braking, the process is reversed, and the gap appears to close, but will remain at one second.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:18 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Great point. Here is the mathematical calculation that validates your point. When people talk about "I closed the gap under braking, and in the corners", it is true that you are minimizing the distance gap. But, you are not minimizing the time gap.

Let's assume two identical cars, with one car ahead by one second at corner exit (30 MPH). That is equal to a distance of 44 feet. As you go down the straight, assume a maximum speed of 120 MPH. Assuming the same one second gap, the car in front will now be ahead by 176 feet. Under braking, the process is reversed, and the gap appears to close, but will remain at one second.
Very true. The GT3 is marginally faster. I drove one last winter for a good hour and the mid range torque was a bit lacking compared to the GTS. Both lack mid range torque but it was much more apparent in the GT3. Not a Problem on track but for street driving the GTS has better road manners.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:19 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by woodrow
MOST OF THE COUNTRY IS ANGRY, ALL THE FILTERED CRAP ON THE NEWS , THE TURD'S IN WASHINGTON SCREWING THIS GREAT LAND AND IT'S PEPS ... MY MOTTO YOUR EGO IS NOT YOUR AMIGO THANKS FOR POSTING ...
Hahah that's great.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Both off line all over the place? Not sure if you know that track well but I don't think so. If you mean when the gt3 went left for no reason sure...I've been going to that track ten years. Also the cones are NOT set exact. If you are watching the same video I am you'll see the cones in the esses are off and far in the dirt. The second or third one is way off! Turn one after the straight is set too early. I'm not a pro but have driven around it with many many people, have buddies who do the time attack competitions three and a friend who instructs with Porsche. Another who raced in the Peyton series. We know the track pretty well. If I'm still driving off the line after ten years then shoot me and I quit 😂

Maybe YouTube some of the record setting laps there if you're not familiar with the track.

It's really hard to post on here sometimes. I mean Jeez! I only share on here for fun and to share info or fun/learning experiences. Then people start saying negative **** or getting wild about it. TO ME - If the faster car was in back u wouldn't see the front car pull away like that, the gap would decrease even though the person ahead would appear faster at first due to them getting on throttle first. And the gap wouldn't increase as it does specifically in the straights which shows the power difference. Even more so you or someone else mentioned the GTS gained under braking so it's really all showing the gains in the straight then. But maybe I'm an idiot and have no idea what I'm saying.
First off thanks for posting. I enjoyed watching the GT3 perform even at 9/10ths in the corners. Secondly, I have never run on that track so I'm not going to pretend to have track specific knowledge, but one thing was apparent to me from watching the video. Both drivers were smooth through the corners, and that counts a lot more to me than whether of not either driver hit the apex perfectly. This was a DE event and not a race. Finally and most importantly, I expect both drivers had an enjoyable day at the track driving some of the best street legal \ track oriented sports cars in the world.

Quick Reply: How fast does a GT3 pull away from a GTS....