Sponsored by:

PFS end of lease shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:35 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default PFS end of lease shenanigans

I turned in a 2012 991 S Cab recently at end of lease. The statement from Porsche Financial Services just came in the mail. It was quite the shocker, as, like most here, I'm pretty fastidious about my cars.

Nearly $2400 in charges for more than ordinary wear and tear. The statement claims:

-- approx. $1400 for windshield replaced due to a crack

-- $450 to repair "paint chip" on hood

-- $550 for "puncture" in front bumper.

Of course, I took lots of photographs when I dropped the car at the dealer because the car sits on the dealer lot at lease end until the "inspection agent" shows up to inspect the car, perhaps weeks later.

Naturally, there was no crack in the windshield. In fact, if there had been, I would have had it repaired at no charge to me since I have a $0 comprehensive loss deductible on my insurance policy. There were at most 2 minor pinhead sized chips (and they were hardly even that) that don't amount to "cracks" and likely never will be. These are the kind that are extremely superficial caused by small stones that barely affect the surface of the glass.

There were a couple of stone chips in the hood that were maybe double the size of a pinhead. That's it. Why is that on me and not ordinary wear and tear? Why isn't that the fault of the fragile paint that Porsche seems to use. These cars are magnets for paint chips on the front of the car.

The last one (front bumper puncture) is just insane. There were no punctures in the front bumper (and my photos show this). It's possible they are referrring to prior punctures in the front bumper for the front license plate holder. But the dealer I leased the car from had done that (and at my request at the time of the lease, repainted the front bumper after filling the holes -- the car was a "launch model" used by the senior staff at the dealer before I leased it).

What are my options? This is clearly, at least in my view, some amazing overreach by PFS. I'm not sure whether to be angry or just shocked.

Has this happened to anyone else?

p.s. the dealer I surrendered the car to has it listed for $85,600 with just over 24k miles. My lease residual was 77k.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe they connected it to the wrong car?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:47 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

PFS is simply taking the info from inspector (a contracted outside company) and they are normally pretty fair imo. Call dealership and let them know you took photos and something happened while in there possession because additional items were notated after you dropped it off? Worth a shot and they can sometimes negotiate with PFS and argue on your behalf but in this case they bought car from PFS so its not in their best interest to fight for you because PFS would have reduced there buy figure for the damage on inspection report so dealer had $$ room to repair it. I'm assuming you didn't get another Porsche so that might be a lost cause but I would still try it? Also just my 2 cents....never drop car off at dealer at lease end without inspection done first. You can argue with inspector if they claim something is damaged or needs replaced or at least confirm it is actually what they see. On of them charged for a scratch on side of car ($600) that turned out to be hardened gum thrown up from tire and it came right off?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Actually, I paid cash for a CPO'ed Cayenne Turbo after the lease surrender. I've owned or leased 9 Porsches in 25 years. This is quite the relationship chiller.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:58 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
Actually, I paid cash for a CPO'ed Cayenne Turbo after the lease surrender. I've owned or leased 9 Porsches in 25 years. This is quite the relationship chiller.
At same dealer I'm assuming? If so you just need to speak to dealer principle or GM, see if they replaced/repaired items that PFS is asking you to pay (they should have an internal repair order a service advisor could print for you). Show the pics and make your argument....this isn't a situation that PFS is taking advantage of, again simply reading a report. Dealer should help you out if they care about customer retention in future.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I would talk to them. I just turned in a leased Cayenne and got back my report with 0 damage. I had even had the stainless trim and flat black plastics all painted gloss (thought I was going to buy it out at the time), and I had a small tear in rear vinyl and a 1" scratch on the rear bumper.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:08 AM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. I also have a signed letter from the preowned sales manager saying the car is in very good condition and not noting any of the above items after his visual inspection. That would be an interesting cross-examination. I have to assume the dealer denies responsibility and puts it on PFS and their inspector. But the letter seems pretty powerful to me.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Ask for their pictures and see what they can produce.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:04 AM
tron786
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PFS end of lease shenanigans

What are the terms and conditions in your contract defining the "fair wear and tear"?

IMO even if those issues were detected by the inspector they are certainly reasonable wear and tear after 3 years of ownership
Old 08-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

My only experience is with BMW lease return and with that you scheduled a return time/date and basically watched the inspector go over the car and then acknowledged the findings by signing off. I am surprised Porsche lease return is not similar. I mean you are turning over custody of your car to the dealer, and with no inspection at that time, trusting them to keep it in the same shape until the PFS inspector comes. I suppose the take home here is to be present at the inspection. I wish I had a useful suggestion; it does seem like you are going to be spending some time on the phone. Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you should talk with someone and discuss your situation with supporting documentation. I'd be more interested in this thread if they were not reasonable after you state your case. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:10 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
My only experience is with BMW lease return and with that you scheduled a return time/date and basically watched the inspector go over the car and then acknowledged the findings by signing off. I am surprised Porsche lease return is not similar. I mean you are turning over custody of your car to the dealer, and with no inspection at that time, trusting them to keep it in the same shape until the PFS inspector comes. I suppose the take home here is to be present at the inspection. I wish I had a useful suggestion; it does seem like you are going to be spending some time on the phone. Best of luck.
You would be surprised at how many are dumped off at dealer with no inspection done yet. This is done sometimes for many reasons, most the time it is because a customer moves right into another lease or purchase at drop off dealer and doesn't want to wait to schedule inspection before taking delivery of new car (of course dealers also encourage delivery of new car and tend to make you feel it will all be fine until it isn't). The specific inspection companies are independent and are contracted based on region and location of lease return (it's too expensive for PFS to employ enough lease return "inspectors" throughout country at all times so that's why these inspection companies are paid to do it they are more cost efficient). They can and do make mistakes as someone earlier eluded to in plugging in damage on computer for the incorrect vin number. The dealer should contact the region PFS dealer rep and have them investigate this, using your photos, signed letter from u/c manager, and inspection report...shouldn't be to hard to get to bottom if it was mistake.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:07 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting read
my wife prior audi was leased. her lease turn in packet included a small credit card sized card that you were instructed to layover any defect. If the defect was covered by the card...no charge. didn't matter, since we bought the car

My 2012 991 C2 7MT lease is up in one month, and I have yet to hear from PFS anything. I called and asked for a turn in packet and PFS stated that i should be getting one THREE months before turn in. I reiterated my lease was over OCT 1 and was told "oh someone will call"

Best news is my buyout is 54k. So i guess i have some equity in the deal if i buy it. certainly don't mind the car....and a new one isn't any different
Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,245 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
+1
Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Naturally, there was no crack in the windshield. In fact, if there had been, I would have had it repaired at no charge to me since I have a $0 comprehensive loss deductible on my insurance policy. There were at most 2 minor pinhead sized chips (and they were hardly even that) that don't amount to "cracks" and likely never will be. These are the kind that are extremely superficial caused by small stones that barely affect the surface of the glass.

There were a couple of stone chips in the hood that were maybe double the size of a pinhead. That's it. Why is that on me and not ordinary wear and tear? Why isn't that the fault of the fragile paint that Porsche seems to use. These cars are magnets for paint chips on the front of the car

Thanks for sharing. I always pay cash for my cars, and based on your experience I'm happy that I never considered a lease. If the "damage" that the inspector identified is not considered normal wear, then I suppose that anything short of perfection is considered a damaged car that requires fixing.

Quick Reply: PFS end of lease shenanigans