purchasing Porsche parts from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default purchasing Porsche parts from dealer

I ran into two striking "facts-of-life" while trying to purchase replacement body parts for my new 2015 991 GTS from my dealer.

1) I asked the dealer for the part numbers while I was looking into the purchase. I was told, directly, that Porsche will not supply factory part numbers to retail customers. This is a bit disconcerting to say the least! Moreover, it took a great deal of effort to get the part number of the factory paint for the lip.

2) The part I was shopping for was the lower lip beneath the front dam. The front of the new GTS is considerably lower than my 2013 991 C2 or any other 911 I have owned. As a result, parking pads have become a target for the lower lip of the GTS. Needless-to-say, the lip has many signs of abuse in its short life. Porsche Cars North America DOES NOT sell just the lip. One must purchase the entire front bumper, air dam and lip as a unit from PCNA. Thankfully, Suncoast Parts sells an aftermarket lip.

It seems that PCNA does not feel it must retain its friends.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

HA! Don't take that dealer word as Gospel. He didn't give you the part number because he didn't want you to price shop the parts around. Simple as that, its pretty common to do that in the world of retail.

I can tell you from owning an Aston Martin Vantage, after you prang and replace a couple of times, your driving skills will go way up on avoiding curbs and bump stops. Don't pull in so far to the space and all will be good.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Have fun

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com
Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM
STG
Race Director

You can buy the lower OEM front bumper lip. The one Suncoast sells IS NOT aftermarket, but OEM.

Your dealers parts dept is handicapped.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:31 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your dealer's service department will be handicapped too since they won't install parts they don't sell.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:53 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from a dealer service department, and yet not the first time someone has posted something like this!

You can call just about any P-car dealer service department, and ask for parts. If you know the exact part numbers you need, great. If you don't, there are many ways to get what you need. You could start by asking on this forum and others. many owners here have been awesome sources of data about parts, assemblies, and even procedures to do repairs and modifications yourself!

Ask your dealer SA if they use PartsLink. (https://www.partslink24.com/partslink24/user/login.do). My dealer, Thompson AutoSport (Porsche of Bucks County), typically not only look up parts for me, but they use PartsLink to send me complete description and diagrams so that I can confirm what part I am ordering. I don't know if you can get an individual subscription to this, but might be worth looking into.

Good luck, and if you need something, just ask! Happy to help if we can!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
It seems that PCNA does not feel it must retain its friends.
You are not a friend, you are a customer. And since you already spent well over $120K for a silly little sports car, obviously you can afford to buy the entire front clip to replace a small piece of plastic that is designed to be torn off by every parking barrier, you know, weekly.

And stop questioning their logic. They know better than you. Just lay back and enjoy it.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:59 AM
STG
Race Director

For less than $200 you can buy OEM real deal factory Porsche part replacements. They are not aftermarket.

Only catch, they DO NOT come painted from the factory. None of the replacement parts like bumpers, mirrors, etc. ever do. Hit up your local body shop. They can even install it for you. Buy from Sunset (Oregon) or Suncoast (Florida) Porsche parts online. Sunset is a bit cheaper.

Call him:

Luke Rogers
Sunset Porsche Parts
Toll Free: 800.346.0182
Direct: 503.726.2246
LukeRogers@sunsetimports.com

Or him:

Ryan Butor

Suncoast Parts Florida

877-923-1700
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from a dealer service department, and yet not the first time someone has posted something like this!

You can call just about any P-car dealer service department, and ask for parts. If you know the exact part numbers you need, great. If you don't, there are many ways to get what you need. You could start by asking on this forum and others. many owners here have been awesome sources of data about parts, assemblies, and even procedures to do repairs and modifications yourself!

Ask your dealer SA if they use PartsLink. (https://www.partslink24.com/partslink24/user/login.do). My dealer, Thompson AutoSport (Porsche of Bucks County), typically not only look up parts for me, but they use PartsLink to send me complete description and diagrams so that I can confirm what part I am ordering. I don't know if you can get an individual subscription to this, but might be worth looking into.

Good luck, and if you need something, just ask! Happy to help if we can!
Yes, you can subscribe to PartsLink.
I believe I pay $40 a month for it.

+991 for Luke of Sunset.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:33 AM
STG
Race Director

On the other hand, I give everyone a fair chance.

Multiple times this past year my LOCAL dealer has given be BETTER prices, even with sales tax, than the other two places I mentioned. This being the expensive 1K+ parts too. Even the color matched key FOB case shell.

I've shopped for and bought a lot of parts from all these guys this past year. Close to 15K+ I'm sure.

My preference is to have a local relationship for different reasons.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 AM
carmmel04
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since Porsche is owned by VW, I believe you can go to any VW dealer and obtain Porsche parts. Well, here in the UK certainly. When I recently serviced our Golf the service guy told me he could get any original Porsche part as they are now part of the same group. Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The part number for the sport design spoiler from my dealer was 99150598301. It cost me, in US funds, $189 and they painted it for $110. Good value.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Part Numbers

This is not just a Porsche. We are in the parts business too. In years past we would supply part numbers to homeowners who would decide whether to purchase or not. In many instances, numbers would be reversed, be missing numbers or letters and, you guessed it, wrong items would be ordered resulting in the customer refusing to accept their items and mistakes. We do keep internal notes for our use, and we do explain to homeowners why we don't disclose part numbers. Now with the internet, we believe that if you want us to research the needed items, we would like to close the sale. If the customer wants cheaper prices, they are free to shop on line. Our prices may not be give away internet prices, but since we warehouse, pick, pack and ship in some instances, a profit is necessary. Do we match on line prices? Is there a value in picking up the part today vs a two or three day delivery wait? Do we provide a service when asked by a customer for help determining what they need instead of selling them what they ask for? ......Guess you readers of this post can answer that.
Dan

1) I asked the dealer for the part numbers while I was looking into the purchase. I was told, directly, that Porsche will not supply factory part numbers to retail customers. This is a bit disconcerting to say the least! Moreover, it took a great deal of effort to get the part number of the factory paint for the lip.

It seems that PCNA does not feel it must retain its friends.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-25-2015, 12:35 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p987yow
The part number for the sport design spoiler from my dealer was 99150598301. It cost me, in US funds, $189 and they painted it for $110. Good value.
$171 + shipping from Sunset. Literally just asked Luke as it occurred to me I should get an extra to have painted next week along with my ducktail. Also just picked up the Burmeister speaker set today from him. Can't say enough about Luke's responsiveness, probably the best in my 20 years of buying parts for cars across the country on line. Sunset tends to be cheaper than suncoast and I do not eat the sales tax that I do from Suncoast in Florida. Win win. My local dealer (Orlando) though having asked will not budge on their prices at all having asked twice which is just plain stupid if you ask me but they are the only game in town.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
For less than $200 you can buy OEM real deal factory Porsche part replacements. They are not aftermarket.

Only catch, they DO NOT come painted from the factory. None of the replacement parts like bumpers, mirrors, etc. ever do. Hit up your local body shop. They can even install it for you. Buy from Sunset (Oregon) or Suncoast (Florida) Porsche parts online. Sunset is a bit cheaper.

Call him:

Luke Rogers
Sunset Porsche Parts
Toll Free: 800.346.0182
Direct: 503.726.2246
LukeRogers@sunsetimports.com

Or him:

Ryan Butor

Suncoast Parts Florida

877-923-1700
I just bought 2x Aerokit Cup spoilers and had them painted... they look a lot better than the stock GTS SD lip

Quick Reply: purchasing Porsche parts from dealer