Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber PDK Paddle Extensions by MAcarbon

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
You have NO CLUE what you're talking about. Those pieces of garbage you posted. Seriously?

Nobody is forcing you to spend your money on anything. You don't like, don't buy. Very simple.
Thanks for sticking up for us STG991! We really appreciate it.

As we have said in previous posts...our parts are not cheap to manufacture and are all hand made in Europe and North America. These paddles are made one at a time by our in house artist "Andre" who has been making carbon parts for 20 years. He makes sure that each paddle is perfect and we take pride in each and every part that we make.
Parts like this may cost $30 to make in China, but you usually get what you pay for. I like to compare it to a paint job on a car. You can have your car painted a MACO for $500 or you can get a show car paint job for $15,000...the difference is in the details.
These parts take several hours, over several days to make and we believe that they are well worth the price.
Frankly, If these were any cheaper, we wouldn't be able to have a business making cool stuff for cars that we love.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber PDK Paddle Extensions by MAcarbon

I really don't have a use for these, but can appreciate the quality and time you put into your products. Thanks for being a sponsor here and making neat products that allow car enthusiasts to personalize their dream cars.

You recognized a niche in the car aftermarket business, started a company, and have been successful. The American Dream. Doesn't get any better than that.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been following this thread and although I am not affiliated with MAcarbon, I feel this thread should have ended a long time ago.

If we all are educated and successful enough to buy Porsches, then you must know that you pay for quality. MAcarbon has been around long enough to know what the market will pay. If they didn't, they would be out of business. We the consumer must also see value in the product, or there wouldn't be demand.

I have owned over two dozen Porsches over the years. I have never seen anything with a Porsche crest on it that was cheap. I also associate Porsche with quality. Maybe MAcarbon is in the same arena. That is for you to decide.

At the end of the day, if you feel they are over priced, then use another option. MAcarbon shouldn't have to defend the prices they charge.

Last edited by clubrcr; 08-26-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 PM
t0mas
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber PDK Paddle Extensions by MAcarbon

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
So things are crap just because it doesn't have a ridiculous profit margin? So who is clueless here. But again I really don't expect anything better from you, STG991.

I get it, there is a higher market elasticity in the high end car market. Plus, I don't think most here would mind paying more for quality, me included.

But at $600 for two tiny CF pieces, one shouldn't expect to see things held on by 3M tapes, which really isn't that durable for something that gets pushed and pulled and deteriorates at temps that the interior would see during a sunny summer day. If there were actually any thoughts behind this, a two piece clamp-on design could have been used instead of tape...

When you charge a premium, one should expect to get a premium product in return. I don't see how could anyone argue against that.
These guys have been selling these in many high end cars and they're not falling off!! Ever heard of anyone complaining? Would it make you feel better drilling through the current paddles?

Held on by 3M tape? Look at some of the pieces on the 911! Geez, even the GT4's side vents are stuck on by 3M tape!

They are charging a premium, and there have been NO facts suggesting they are not a premium product. I've NEVER heard anything but positive things about these guys.

They ARE a sponsor here, so let them advertise in PEACE. Thank goodness we have sponsors here!

Like I said before, you don't like, DON'T BUY! Simple logic I use myself everyday.

Have a better idea??? Make and market your own! A guy did it with the buffeting pieces on the GT3 forum. Stop bitching and do something about it if you want instead of whining.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
So things are crap just because it doesn't have a ridiculous profit margin? So who is clueless here. But again I really don't expect anything better from you, STG991. Sure, oversea made products costs less because the price of labor is cheap over there. But I personally wouldn't care less who made it and what brand is stamped on it if the quality is on par. I buy cars like these for its performance, quality, and functions, and my view on what aftermarket parts go on them reflects that as well. But if you buy cars as fashion accessory and enjoy paying extra for the whatever prestige you get out of it, that's fine by me, I am not here to argue about that. I get it, there is a higher market elasticity in the high end car market. Plus, I don't think most here would mind paying more for quality, me included. At $600 for two tiny CF pieces, one shouldn't expect to see things held on by double sided 3M tapes, which really isn't that durable for something that gets pushed and pulled all day long and worse, these tape are known to deteriorate at temps that the interior would be exposed to during a sunny summer day. If there were actually any thoughts behind this product, a two piece clamp-on design could have been used instead of tape... When you charge a premium, one should expect to get a premium product in return. I just don't see how could anyone argue against that.
Porsche made far more money out of its customers than these guys ever will.... ever wonder why the very same options on a golf cost 10% of the porsche sticker price?.... value.... not intrinsic value.... Just good ol' emotional value.

I want to defend the Chinese who can and do make some very good products at relatively low cost (I'm typing on one right now) but some people rightly see a value in craftsmanship for tailored product.

OAO
Old 08-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Folks, bashing a vendor's product with no personal knowledge is unwarranted. Don't like it, don't buy. CF is expensive and I don't know about a cup wing in CF but one for an RS costs many time $2,000. For that reason, I am erasing the comments above. Things would be different is someone bought the paddles and had a problem which the vendor failed to correct, Then, it's game on even if the vendor is a sponsor. This situation appears to be different.

Regards,

Regards,
Old 08-28-2015, 02:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Folks, bashing a vendor's product with no personal knowledge is unwarranted. Don't like it, don't buy. CF is expensive and I don't know about a cup wing in CF but one for an RS costs many time $2,000. For that reason, I am erasing the comments above. Things would be different is someone bought the paddles and had a problem which the vendor failed to correct, Then, it's game on even if the vendor is a sponsor. This situation appears to be different.

Regards,

Regards,
well said
Old 08-28-2015, 02:29 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tape

Hi Cloud,

As always we appreciate your feedback, along with everyone else. Its been interesting to see the other paddle solutions that are on the market for other cars. Most are apples to oranges comparisons but its good to see other solutions.

Despite what you may think, we've put a lot of thought into these paddles.

Most of the solutions that have been pointed out are possible due to the design of the wheels/paddles in question. For example, the inexpensive billet BMW paddles that were pointed out in one of these threads are possible because the BMW paddles are flat pieces of plastic that attach with a set screw. In contrast, the Porsche paddles are solid aluminum cast in an organic shape. So there's no built in set screw to exploit. And a flat anodized billet piece will look like crap next to the Porsche paddle. We like the contrast of the CF and silver.

A clamshell design might be possible but that would have to go in front of the silver paddle which reduces clearance between the paddle and the wheel. Our design maintains that spacing. A clamshell also introduces seams which can be unsightly.

As for tape's durability, we've never had a report of a set coming off. We get asked most frequently how to take them off because the customer just bought a new car and wants to transfer them. Once they have them off, we offer to send some new tape or have the customer send them back and we'll put new tape on along with some courtesy polishing if needed.

The key 'feature' of the tape is that its an easy install with NO downside risk. You practice each side for 5 minutes and then take 5 more minutes to do it for real. You are done in 20 minutes. Taking the wheel off, dissembling it , installing new paddles, reassembling, etc adds hours to the project. Minimum extra cost is $500 just in labor alone. The wheel is $1-3K if you break it. We've dissembled and built over thirty of the Sport Design PDK wheels and we still sweat a little every time we do it. Imagine a Tech at your local dealer trying to do it for the first time! Just disconnecting the battery (to remove a steering wheel) makes many owners VERY nervous.

To us, and many of our customers, the tape is a simple, elegant solution.

On another note, we've already sold enough sets to fill up production for September.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

If you are interested in a set and have some questions, please call John or Lane at the shop. +1.650.489.4415. We'll be happy to chat about paddles or anything else we offer.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
Hi Cloud,

As always we appreciate your feedback, along with everyone else. Its been interesting to see the other paddle solutions that are on the market for other cars. Most are apples to oranges comparisons but its good to see other solutions.

Despite what you may think, we've put a lot of thought into these paddles.

Most of the solutions that have been pointed out are possible due to the design of the wheels/paddles in question. For example, the inexpensive billet BMW paddles that were pointed out in one of these threads are possible because the BMW paddles are flat pieces of plastic that attach with a set screw. In contrast, the Porsche paddles are solid aluminum cast in an organic shape. So there's no built in set screw to exploit. And a flat anodized billet piece will look like crap next to the Porsche paddle. We like the contrast of the CF and silver.

A clamshell design might be possible but that would have to go in front of the silver paddle which reduces clearance between the paddle and the wheel. Our design maintains that spacing. A clamshell also introduces seams which can be unsightly.

As for tape's durability, we've never had a report of a set coming off. We get asked most frequently how to take them off because the customer just bought a new car and wants to transfer them. Once they have them off, we offer to send some new tape or have the customer send them back and we'll put new tape on along with some courtesy polishing if needed.

The key 'feature' of the tape is that its an easy install with NO downside risk. You practice each side for 5 minutes and then take 5 more minutes to do it for real. You are done in 20 minutes. Taking the wheel off, dissembling it , installing new paddles, reassembling, etc adds hours to the project. Minimum extra cost is $500 just in labor alone. The wheel is $1-3K if you break it. We've dissembled and built over thirty of the Sport Design PDK wheels and we still sweat a little every time we do it. Imagine a Tech at your local dealer trying to do it for the first time! Just disconnecting the battery (to remove a steering wheel) makes many owners VERY nervous.

To us, and many of our customers, the tape is a simple, elegant solution.

On another note, we've already sold enough sets to fill up production for September.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

If you are interested in a set and have some questions, please call John or Lane at the shop. +1.650.489.4415. We'll be happy to chat about paddles or anything else we offer.
Hell the 4.0 RS front dive planes are held in place by double sided tape too ... so I dont see what the big deal is!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:43 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
Thanks for sticking up for us STG991! We really appreciate it.

As we have said in previous posts...our parts are not cheap to manufacture and are all hand made in Europe and North America. These paddles are made one at a time by our in house artist "Andre" who has been making carbon parts for 20 years. He makes sure that each paddle is perfect and we take pride in each and every part that we make.
Parts like this may cost $30 to make in China, but you usually get what you pay for. I like to compare it to a paint job on a car. You can have your car painted a MACO for $500 or you can get a show car paint job for $15,000...the difference is in the details.
These parts take several hours, over several days to make and we believe that they are well worth the price.
Frankly, If these were any cheaper, we wouldn't be able to have a business making cool stuff for cars that we love.
I like the paddles and hell I will order a set. They are unique and high quality. And the ability to move them to another car if need be is gr8! I sure like the steering wheels you people make to.

Please keep making quality parts for our cars. They, we, deserve it! LOL

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber PDK Paddle Extensions by MAcarbon