payment

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default payment

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Odd. What was their rationale for requesting prepayment?
Ordered car just arrived. Have to sign papers for registration. Bring ck. Car to be prepped and picked up day after. I guess no one wants to register a car without ck in hand maybe because the it would be technically used
Old 08-02-2015, 06:08 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
Ordered car just arrived. Have to sign papers for registration. Bring ck. Car to be prepped and picked up day after. I guess no one wants to register a car without ck in hand maybe because the it would be technically used
Interesting. Maybe I missed it, but this is a dealer pickup, not an out of state car, correct? When I've ordered cars here in CA, they get delivered to the dealer, the car is prepped and I go in with a certified check and do the registration paperwork on the spot when I pick it up. Nothing must be done or paid for in advance. Maybe they wanted to confirm you were going to actually complete the purchase before being prepped because it was being requested by another dealer. That would be a reason for them not to prep the car for delivery I suppose.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Sorry, thought we were talking out of State. If in State, that is odd. I've had one dealer want a cashier's check instead of a personal check, but I've never not left with the car that same day. They don't have to register the car before you pick up the car, just give you a temporary registration . Sounds like nonsense. What State are you in?

All that said, I wouldn't care. No risk giving them the check really.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Sorry, thought we were talking out of State. If in State, that is odd. I've had one dealer want a cashier's check instead of a personal check, but I've never not left with the car that same day. They don't have to register the car before you pick up the car, just give you a temporary registration . Sounds like nonsense. What State are you in? All that said, I wouldn't care. No risk giving them the check really.
I am picking up the car in a neighboring state 25 minutes away. They are doing the running to the registry and my insurance co. for me a day ahead of my pickup.
I do trust them. This is my 2nd 911 from them. Last one was leased. This one in cash
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very odd but since you are out of state maybe this ensures to them the car will actually get registered in your state. State I live we have 30 days to register a vehicle. That comes in handy and gives you a few weeks to break into more piggy banks.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default payment

I am picking up the car in a neighboring state 25 minutes away. They are doing the running to the registry and my insurance co. for me a day ahead of my pickup.
I do trust them. This is my 2nd 911 from them. Last one was leased. This one in cash
If you trust them and have bought from them before, what is the concern and reason for the thread? The money will be gone one way or another. If you want to hang onto it until delivery do so. What's the dealer going to do? Nothing. Still sell you the car. Simple.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Originally Posted by STG991
If you trust them and have bought from them before, what is the concern and reason for the thread? The money will be gone one way or another. If you want to hang onto it until delivery do so. What's the dealer going to do? Nothing. Still sell you the car. Simple.
You are right! Just was concerned about parting with 145k before actually driving off with it. Thank you
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I did something very similar to you (car purchased from a neighboring state dealer 25-35 minutes away) and they issued a temporary tag/regs and I drove off same day, until my official tags/registration came in about a month later. They took a personal check and didn't even cash it until a week later because of my request. So I'm not sure why your dealer is requesting advanced payment. If you do, definitely tell them to not deposit until after you inspect the car. I don't care how much you trust them, that doesn't prevent the car coming from overseas a lemon or with dings (though highly unlikely).
Old 08-02-2015, 08:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default payment

You are right! Just was concerned about parting with 145k before actually driving off with it. Thank you
What model are you buying for 145K? Ever consider a used one?

Lot car? Ordered car?

Last edited by STG; 08-02-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I've always paid with a personal check on delivery. When I get the car, it's registered, has an inspection sticker and the sales tax is paid. However, I've bought several cars from my dealer over the years.

Everyone gets crazy about these things, but two days is no big deal if that's the dealer's practice especially if they have to pay tax upon registration. However, I would want to expect the car before I handed over the check.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My 991 will be the fifth vehicle I've bought from this particular out of state dealer. They will drive it to my driveway, take me in their chase vehicle to city hall for registration, put the plates on the car, go through a complete rundown of the car and then beg me for 10s on the forthcoming customer satisfaction survey. I'll hand them a certified check for the remaining balance and offer the salesman and driver a couple of beers. Except for the 10s and beer, this was agreed to before I gave the dealer my deposit.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Should you test drive the car before handing over the check?

Quick Reply: payment