Sponsored by:

Parkassist Workaround

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:45 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Parkassist Workaround

Have a GTS on order. Would have loved to order park assist and a backup camera, but can't bring myself to break the smooth lines of the bumpers with those nasty little circles.
Two questions. 1) do you really benefit from a backup camera and park assist in a coupe 991? The car is so small... I recently drove a 356 all around Maui and i felt like I was parking a go kart, so no prob doing it the old-fashion way... 2) Is there a good aftermarket backup camera that integrates with the OEM PCM unit? Too bad Porsche doesn't offer the camera W/O the park assist circles on the bumper.. also, I have bose if it matters..
Thanks in advance. Hugs, love, green tea and tofu from the Bay Area!
Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the coupe, I could easily make do without the backup camera and parking sensors, but I do like that I have it. I travel frequently and more often than not that means renting a car at my destination - so I get to compare driving and parking with and without the aids. Much easier to back up with a camera and not have to switch between looking back and looking in front when in a cramped parking spot. But then again, I DD my car. If you don't, you may only get marginal benefit from it.

I think others have installed aftermarket backup cameras.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:35 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Did not have it on my first, but have it on my present Pcar. Backup camera is a nice safety feature to be able to see what is behind you and how far or close you are. The sensor saves time and provides a comfort level as to how close you are getting to an object - don't have to get out of the car to look anymore.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:23 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I live in a city. I parallel park often. Every day, I need a three-point turn to back my car into a parking spot between two other cars. Oh, it's a cab.

I have all the sensors and camera. They're very nice to have and I don't object to the bumper sensors. But if I did, I'd have no problem going without the parking aids. As I say, they're nice to have, but the car is small and if you use your mirrors and don't mind turning your head (omg!), it's an easy car to maneuver in any direction.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The parking sensors are helpful. I often have to maneuver in tight spots and it is helpful.

Of course not absolutely necessary but helpful.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Didn't have them in my 06 C2S and lightly scraped the right rear wheel arch when trying to "protect" the car by parking closing to a wall. Had them on the 08 TT cab and loved them. Don't have them on the Spyder and miss them. Will have them on the 13 C2 if I go that way and am looking forward to them. So after this slightly long-winded diatribe the answer is for me, despite slightly breaking up the bumper lines with the sensors, these cars are bigger than you think, have blind spots, is a thumbs-up on the sensors. The camera? Sure, why not. I just not used to using one.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:52 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Didn't order it for my 2016 GTS but have it in my Macan T. Just like you, I don't like to break the smooth lines of the bumper. I make it a habit (or already a second nature of mine) to always looks around. The tilting passenger side mirror is very important to me instead.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:00 PM
ent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the backup sensors but would much rather have the backup camera. I know I can look back and look at the rear view mirrors but no matter what, it's impossible to see low obstacles directly behind you. Consider the fact that you can't even tell if the spoiler has extended by looking through the rear window.

I also find that the rear view cameras in my other cars make it much easier to pull out of parking spots. The cameras give a much better view of cross-traffic.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

First time I ever drove a 991, at the end of the drive I backed it into a spot. Pulled up, backed in, perfectly centered and stopped just right no problem using only the mirrors. The last foot or so the rep drew my attention to the park assist. This to me is important- I was driving just fine, he had to distract me to get me to look at this extra feature.

I never could understand the need before, and now I know why: it is superfluous.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:16 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front and rear sensors are extremely helpful when parallel parking in tight spots (ie, city dwellers). (Well, assuming you find it helpful to not make contact with other cars.)

I would forego the camera though. Reacting to the sensors, which beep louder and faster as you get closer to said objects, is more intuitive than judging the distance by looking at the camera.

If the car never parallel parks in tight spaces the sensors probably are superfluous.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the park assist on my '13 C2, no camera. I got used to it on our Cayenne, I wish the 911 had the reverse camera too. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've found two options to add a reverse camera:

http://delreycustoms.myshopify.com/c...back-up-camera

https://navtv.com/products/category/..._2013_usa.html

Last edited by Jsonorous; 08-02-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

I have it on a 4 door truck. Can't see the reasoning on a little car like the 911
Old 08-01-2015, 05:59 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the sensors and the camera in my cayenne turbo. Love it. I don't have it in my C2S, but didn't miss them due to the car size. I guess they are a "nice to have" features on our car, but not a must have.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think camera is very useful, but the sensors are four thumbs up. There were too many occasions when the sensors helped greatly.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Jsonorous I have the sensors and am looking into getting the camera. Opened your hyperlinks....do you know what the difference is between the two? Probably going to pull the trigger on one of these in next two weeks.

Porscheforever thought the same thing...till I was on the seen of two children backed over...TRAGIC I never got over it. I've had them on every vehicle I've owned since. My jeep wrangler has one as well as my wife's A5 cab. I do understand what you are saying though the car is small and if you pay attention you really shouldn't need it, but for me it's essential.

Quick Reply: Parkassist Workaround