Sponsored by:

Targa Smart top installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 PM
msmith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Smart top installed

I installed the smart top for targa today, it went smooth. It took about 2-3 minutes after I had preprogrammed the unit on my laptop for the individual settings that I wanted. I followed the instructions on the website for the targa and they are spot on.

It functions as advertised with no problems and seems like it will be a nice feature. I'lll post again once I have spent some time using it.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts

Very cool, I'm looking forward to hearing more. My dealer is going to be installing mine as soon as the car arrives (just a few weeks now) so any tips or tricks you can share or settings that you end up liking/disliking are appreciated.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 PM
msmith
Rennlist Member

I bet you can't wait. I was initially told my car wouldn't be here until October, but when I locked the order in June, I was told July 31. On 7/14 my SA texted me a pic of the targa bar, then a tire---it was like a car strip tease. So yours may arrive early too.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Car strip tease, I love it! It sounds like your SA is a bit more engaged than mine. My guy is nice enough but not very proactive. I have to pester to get info from him although I think I might have him convinced that if he doesn't move faster I really will fly down to San Diego and steal my own car.

When I locked my order I was told it would be late August but so far things have run several weeks ahead of schedule. So I guess I should be grateful!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
msmith
Rennlist Member

This is the 4th car I've bought from him, so he takes good care of me.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
My guy is nice enough but not very proactive. I have to pester to get info from him although I think I might have him convinced that if he doesn't move faster I really will fly down to San Diego and steal my own car.
Let me guess, Bellevue Porsche?

Last edited by strumbringer; 07-31-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

It is Bellevue Porsche but I don't want to give the wrong impression. The guys have been very nice, professional and responsive when I ask questions. I'm just looking for a bit more info pushed to me but I know it is unrealistic to expect any Sales guy to be as obsessed with the day by day progress as I am. But it would be nice
Old 07-31-2015, 07:42 PM
msmith
Rennlist Member

The one touch open and close is nice, but the ability to open or close while moving at slow speeds is inconsistant. I've tried to close it while pulling into a parking space and it stopped moving until the car stopped. Other times it has worked fine. The remote open and close works flawlessly. Overall nice addition. I think that opening/closing the top with the car in motion is probably not a good idea anyway. The arms that raise and lower the rear section look relatively small and I am concerned that they could warp with the momentum of the car moving.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the write up! I almost expected the top to operate from the factory key fob... Seemed like a great way to show off the car's coolest feature! I think I won't be far behind your purchase.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by msmith
The one touch open and close is nice, but the ability to open or close while moving at slow speeds is inconsistant.
I didn't know that SmartTop for Targas was supposed to allow this function. I always assumed that the reason that the targa top couldn't be moved at speed from the factory was that the boot lid extends beyond the back of the car by about a foot and there's the danger of hitting a car or something else at speed. I know that the Targa uses the parking sensors to make sure there are no obstructions when the car is stationary. Fwiw, the cab's boot lid does not extend beyond the rear of the car so it doesn't have that danger.

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Thanks for the write up! I almost expected the top to operate from the factory key fob...
It does with SmartTop.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 AM
911sccab
Racer

Originally Posted by hinckley
It does with SmartTop.
And that's exactly why I want it!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

From what I read it seems the reason the Targa top isn't allowed to raise and lower while moving is because the top obscures the rear lights / brake lights which made it illegal in most countries.

I would still be concerned about whether the top can handle the stress because once raising/lowering the top while in motion was declared a no-go who knows if they designed it only to work stationary and didn't even bother stress testing it while moving.

I wanted the SmartTop for one reason, so I could raise and lower the top from the remote. I want to be able to hit a button to open my garage, hit a button to open the top and drive away topless. Since I have the 18 way seats it also helps with entry and exit which is a nice bonus
Old 08-01-2015, 12:39 PM
911sccab
Racer

I think watching the top is fascinating and a great way to let the heat escape as I approach the car... Having it work via remote control would enable more enjoyment of both!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Any advice on the settings that you have preferred. Right now I have mine programmed for

F1 (Main Switch) - 1/On

F2 (One Touch In Car) - 4/Extended Windows Down

F3 (Remote)- 4/Extended Windows Down

F4 (Door Handle) - 0/Off (seems too easy to do this by accident and unnecessary given it works from the key)

F5, F6, F7 - 0/Off for Targa by default

F8 (Auto Mute) - 0/Off

I'm guessing that when I want the top down I will want the windows down but I guess only time will tell if that turns out to be true

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Any advice on the settings that you have preferred. Right now I have mine programmed for
Exactly as I have mine set. When my top goes down, by windows go down and vice-versa. And I agree with the door handle remote. Too complex, I'd never use it. I originally set my radio to mute and didn't like it, so I turned that function off as well.

Quick Reply: Targa Smart top installed