Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many years would I get for flying to San Diego and stealing my own car :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts
Default How many years would I get for flying to San Diego and stealing my own car :)

Much like many of you (you know who you are), I have been obsessively tracking my car as it made it's way across the world. Well, today it landed in San Diego and knowing that it is just sitting there waiting for me is making things much worse!! Technically it is my car so I'm guessing I wouldn't get more than a slap on the wrist and I think I have a good case for an insanity defense

Now time to wait for the long trek up to Seattle.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The drive north of Mt Tam on Hwy 1, well worth the risk!
But there'll be plenty of summer left to hit Hwy 20 over Washington Pass to Winthrop when it gets here. Leavenworth is a great day trip too. Just remember to take High Bridge Rd and Ben Howard Rd to stay off 2 until Sultan. WSP has a no pursuit policy on HBR…..
Old 07-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Michael15
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in San Diego...if you need someone to "break it in" for you...i'm here to serve you!!!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Wow! Super cool. You must not be sleeping much! Congrats! What are you getting?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer Michael, I would be onboard if it meant that I get my car up to Seattle faster

My car is a Carmine Red Targa GTS with most of the option boxes checked. My first Porsche was a 78 SC Targa and when I saw the latest Targa design I was immediately in love, I had to have it. I sold my 87 M491 Cab to buy it, a decision of the heart and certainly not of the mind considering where prices are going for those older rare models and where prices are going for new cars
Old 07-29-2015, 12:43 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The nighttime jail activities would be the main thing to worry about.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:53 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's actually an interesting legal question. I'm sure there are a few lawyers on this forum. What would the charge/penalty be for 'stealing' what's yours. Would it be a break and enter charge? But not Grand Theft Auto since it's your car and you have legal title to it?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

In my case it is less of an interesting legal question because I haven't actually paid for the car yet The paperwork with the dealership isn't complete. I expect that legally right now it is still the property of Porsche and not the dealership. They will take ownership and then once I sign the paperwork and pay them it will finally be mine. Not to mention the jail time for trying to skip the customs process. That would land me in "bang me in the a$$" Federal prison. No thanks, I'll wait a few more weeks

I really just wanted an excuse to post something because I cannot contain my excitement.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
It's actually an interesting legal question. I'm sure there are a few lawyers on this forum. What would the charge/penalty be for 'stealing' what's yours. Would it be a break and enter charge? But not Grand Theft Auto since it's your car and you have legal title to it?
I don't believe you own the car until the dealer signs the title over to you.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'd do it anyway. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

it will get there soon enough ... all going well it should clear customs and PDI by Friday ... then it all depends when the trucks roll; my car landed 7/2 cleared customs and PDI 'ready for transport' by 7/8
and at the dealer my 7/14. I think you should have yours by 8/7 at the latest.

good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's say you have your car on a lot, and the dealer is selling it for you on consignment. You have the title. It is your car in this case, so if you sneak on the lot and take it using an extra set of keys, what are the charges? Trespassing, probably. I would not be surprised if some type of theft charge would be there as well, because there would have to be some type of signed paper stating the Dealer has the car in his possession to sell for you.

I know the above is totally of topic now, but a couple posts got me wondering.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, as a mental exercise (considering that the car's title hasn't passed to you so it is not yours), it depends on where the car is and it's stage of processing. Car theft and trespassing are statutory but if you are stealing before it passes customs or gets it's Monroney, then add a violation of Federal Laws - which is not only a whole extra level of legal Hell but but now you'd have two separate (=$$$) legal issues with different courts and lawyers. Oh, and there are probably some broad anti-terrorism federal laws related to ports that a Federal prosecutor may throw in, just for giggles or if he/she is having a particularly bad day.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:44 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Car companies need to build reception centers at the main port where their cars are delivered so you could request a port delivery and then enjoy the drive across this wonderful country if you want to especially if you live on the opposite coast.

Quick Reply: How many years would I get for flying to San Diego and stealing my own car :)