Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking for help w/991 Turbo S purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:31 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Re-lease a TTS at the end of it's 3-year lease and let the original owner take the biggest hit. These generally are not investment grade cars, short of the the rare GT3 RS 4.0's. So lease one, drive it and enjoy it, and trade up or down and around into a difference P-car every couple of years. May you never be the same...
Old 07-28-2015, 09:58 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

If you search on the online car sales helper sites (carfax/autotrader) and find yourself a nice 2014 Turbo S with over 5k miles on it for around the 140-51 mark depending on options/colorways You aren't going to get hammered as hard over the next couple years...about 25-30k would be my guess and that's not too terrible when talking about what kind of car the Turbo S is. The GT3 as others mentioned is the only one thats really holding its value for a period of time and probably even more so as the new RS and GT4 models come out and continue to be utter unobtanium. Its not nearly as hard core as the older ones, so you could drive it all the time without much of a problem and IMHO its pretty soft riding as well. Ya the clearance isn't amazing, but its not hard to just scrape up the one plastic lip and then replace it when you feel its gotten nasty looking...that's what it was built for.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 678 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forme
You could mitigate the total cost by finding a new 2015 on a dealers lot and try to get as close to 10% off msrp as possible.
I did this. Still don't think it offset all the burden but I felt better. Lots of TT and TTS that the GM's of these dealerships ordered and drove for about 3K. You need to call around. Only issue is you may have to give up some of the specs you wanted or take a few you didn't.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Buy used GT3 and thank me later
Old 07-28-2015, 09:53 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Archimedes;12465587]Again, this is absolutely not true. There are limitations on the amounts you can deduct and it's ridiculously low relative to the cost of these cars. I don't know who's telling you that you can deduct your entire lease payment, but they don't know what they're talking about or they are simply comfortable cheating on their taxes.[/QUOT

No message
Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Bulliondesk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Again, this is absolutely not true. There are limitations on the amounts you can deduct and it's ridiculously low relative to the cost of these cars. I don't know who's telling you that you can deduct your entire lease payment, but they don't know what they're talking about or they are simply comfortable cheating on their taxes.
I absolutely do not condone cheating. FYI I was basing what I said off this article below..

http://www.businessinsider.com/tax-l...y-cars-2012-11
Old 07-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

For a leased vehicle, there in an income inclusion adjustment on any auto valued over $18,500 that offsets the benefit to make it closer to the depreciation cap (which is pretty low relative to a Porsche). Then you can only deduct the portion of the usage costs that are actual business use, which, for a Porsche is likely to be a relatively low percentage. For sure, if someone is using the car primarily for business and is willing to keep really good records to prove it, it makes sense to deduct whatever you can. But it's not as a big a benefit than people think and it's low hanging fruit for the IRS is you cheat on it.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:00 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As I recall the residuals are a few points lower on 15's now. Really reduces the benefits of a higher discount... Nearly cancels it out if only a few percentage points. Larry Cable has posted details.....search his posts.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I think that for a 3 year period on these cars closed ended leasing is the way to go. That way the leasing company is the one taking the risk on depreciation while you are locked into what they think is the right curve. The way to get this "affordable" is not to get a TTS but just a turbo and don't go crazy with the options. In the past, I mostly bought but held my cars way longer than 3 years, so in that scenario, buying makes better sense. But turbos seem to drop a lot faster in the first few years, so this time around I thought I'd lease, especially since this is my DD, and I wasn't planning on doing any modding. In retrospect, I'm not sure I drove the best deal I could, but at least the payments are locked. The hard part now is keeping miles reasonable, as it turns out this car is way more fun than I expected. I take it everywhere!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:54 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

My friend purchased a 2 year old 2012 TTS (Aqua Blue/ 6 speed) with 3K miles for $135K plus taxes. Great deal on a $178K MSRP. Sold it 11 months later with 9K miles for $107K.

TTS depreciate more than most P cars and the depreciation continues for a while. But buying one with 2-3 years of depreciation already reflected is better than starting with a price based on 10% off MSRP.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go second hand and get something as close to you want as possible. Not unless you want something bespoke and MUST have it. Let someone else take the hit in initial depreciation if possible.

But mind you out of all the prestige brands Porsche has the least depreciating in comparison to other marks by far.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Mister_Yogi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I haven't leased but the mark-up on the cars is generally around 12%. Once have that nailed down you need their money factor and then the residual. All dealers are skittish on sharing the money factor because it's usually at a rate significantly higher than you could get by shopping around at say bankrate.com.

Here's some background on the money factorhttp://www.leaseguide.com/lease08/
Thanks for the markup tip. Is it reasonable to negotiate down to invoice or invoice + $X pricing?

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for help w/991 Turbo S purchase