991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order Blocked - Yes You Read It Right!!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM
busta2706
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order Blocked - Yes You Read It Right!!

Hi Guys,

I posted a while back when I was seeking advice with regards to a new 2016 Carrera 4 GTS Build as follows:

Sapphire Blue Metallic Exterior
Black Leather/Alcantara Interior
GTS Communication Package Interior (Rhodium Silver Stitch)
18-Way Seats
Glass Sunroof
Black Surround LED Headlights
Clear Glass Tail Lights
Turbo S Rims Standard Spec in black (I love them!!!)
Painted Side Skirts
PDK
Sports PASM
Carbon Fibre PDK Gear Selector
Sport Design Steering Wheel in Leather

Well after I paid my deposit in June and was told that my order was awaiting allocation, I was informed as of last night that Porsche is no longer taking any orders on the GTS even though I paid my deposit in June. The plan was for an end-July allocation, August build and the car would arrive around November time.

In fact no further orders on the 911 are allowed at this stage which I can understand but the GTS?? It only got launched at the end of 2014 some 7 months or so ago? Plus this is weird because I imagined that production on the GTS would continue for at least another year.

Anyway I am now faced with two options:
  1. Wait till the facelift comes out and order a facelifted 911 and the chances are it will not be GTS because god knows when that facelifted GTS will come out. The fact that they stopped taking orders on the current GTS might mean that they will launch the new GTS straightaway. Or maybe they stopped orders on the GTS because they are worried that people will not buy the facelift.
  2. There are a few 2016 pre-spec'd GTS cars on the way and I could just get one of these but none are in the colour choice or spec that I would be doing so there would be a compromise here.
What do I do??

Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Well, that's an interesting development. I know that Porsche shuts down in the next week or so for its regular August holiday and the 991.2 will be announced right around the time they re-open. Rumor (or conjecture) is that the new model will start production in November. So allocation slots - at least for your part of the world - may be filled for September and October. From personal experience, I know that no allocations are allotted during the shut down, but allocations do re-open in September. Maybe you'll get lucky and your dealer can get a September or October allocation then. But it'll be a crap-shoot for you.

I've wondered how Porsche would handle a 991.2 GTS. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a GTS for the 991.2, at least immediately. When new models or facelifts are introduced, Porsche always takes a while to dole out a full option offering and I suppose they'll need to develop a new powerkit-like option for the new turbo engine. So the GTS could take a one or two year hiatus. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the GTS returned only for the 991's last year, a year or so before the next chassis is introduced in three years time. That would maintain it's "special-ness" I suppose. Again, this is all my conjecture.

Last edited by hinckley; 07-26-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 516 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm new to Porsche and still working through what I want to do but my dealer tells me there are still changeable allocations available... only a few but they do exist. I wonder if YOUR dealer didn't have an allocation to give you and just hoped they would be able to get one? This happens all of the time in my experience and, of course, they will give you a different reason. I'm not suggesting this is necessarily the case but it is different than what I was told on Wednesday this past week... I could have had an allocation for a November build.

One of my dilemmas is whether to get a slightly loved car, an in stock GTS that isn't perfectly optioned for me or to build my car to my taste. Unfortunately, if I want a NA 991.1, options are limited as you are experiencing. I find it difficult to "settle" on a car without the perfect set up when I'm spending $125,000+ on a car If it were me, I would only buy an in-stock car if it was VERY close to what I wanted and had all of the "needed" options like color, etc. It's a lot of money to stare at a car in your driveway that isn't quite right.

If you can't get what you want (or very close to it), I'd order a 991.2 unless the turbo thing is a problem for you.

Last edited by gthal; 07-26-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I'm new to Porsche and still working through what I want to do but my dealer tells me there are still changeable allocations available... only a few but they do exist. I wonder if YOUR dealer didn't have an allocation to give you and just hoped they would be able to get one? This happens all of the time in my experience and, of course, they will give you a different reason. I'm not suggesting this is necessarily the case but it is different than what I was told on Wednesday this past week... I could have had an allocation for a November build.
It's regular practice to take an order without a specific allocation. Many of us have done that just to get in the queue. There's really nothing sinister in that practice. And geographic allocations vary, so Dubai allocations may be closed even though they may be available for other parts of the world.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 516 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
It's regular practice to take an order without a specific allocation. Many of us have done that just to get in the queue. There's really nothing sinister in that practice. And geographic allocations vary, so Dubai allocations may be closed even though they may be available for other parts of the world.
Agreed and good point on the regional availability.

My experience is sometimes dealers will tell customers they can get an allocation and really can't or give the allocation to a "better" customer. I find that really frustrating. Probably not what happened here but I see it often.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

There are still allocations in the USA. You're in Dubai?
Old 07-26-2015, 10:42 AM
busta2706
Intermediate

Yes I am in Dubai.

I was just so looking forward to my GTS which I specd so carefully and with love. It is my first ever 911 so want to do it right. So I guess you guys are of the opinion that I should wait for the 991.2?

At the end of the day it is a Porsche so will definitely be a thrill to drive but my two main concerns with 991.2 is exhaust sound and the turbo lag. I went to the showroom and played with a Cayenne GTS with the turbo engine and that thing is pretty quiet. Even quieter than my Panamera which was quiet even with a sports exhaust....
Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by busta2706
Yes I am in Dubai.

I was just so looking forward to my GTS which I specd so carefully and with love. It is my first ever 911 so want to do it right. So I guess you guys are of the opinion that I should wait for the 991.2?

At the end of the day it is a Porsche so will definitely be a thrill to drive but my two main concerns with 991.2 is exhaust sound and the turbo lag. I went to the showroom and played with a Cayenne GTS with the turbo engine and that thing is pretty quiet. Even quieter than my Panamera which was quiet even with a sports exhaust....
Find a 991.1 GTS

It might not be 100% to your spec, but compromise a bit. Or else, look for an allocation nearby? Saudi Arabia, etc?
Old 07-26-2015, 10:48 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Default NEW GTS

Originally Posted by busta2706
Hi Guys,

I posted a while back when I was seeking advice with regards to a new 2016 Carrera 4 GTS Build as follows:

Sapphire Blue Metallic Exterior
Black Leather/Alcantara Interior
GTS Communication Package Interior (Rhodium Silver Stitch)
18-Way Seats
Glass Sunroof
Black Surround LED Headlights
Clear Glass Tail Lights
Turbo S Rims Standard Spec in black (I love them!!!)
Painted Side Skirts
PDK
Sports PASM
Carbon Fibre PDK Gear Selector
Sport Design Steering Wheel in Leather

Well after I paid my deposit in June and was told that my order was awaiting allocation, I was informed as of last night that Porsche is no longer taking any orders on the GTS even though I paid my deposit in June. The plan was for an end-July allocation, August build and the car would arrive around November time.

In fact no further orders on the 911 are allowed at this stage which I can understand but the GTS?? It only got launched at the end of 2014 some 7 months or so ago? Plus this is weird because I imagined that production on the GTS would continue for at least another year.

Anyway I am now faced with two options:
  1. Wait till the facelift comes out and order a facelifted 911 and the chances are it will not be GTS because god knows when that facelifted GTS will come out. The fact that they stopped taking orders on the current GTS might mean that they will launch the new GTS straightaway. Or maybe they stopped orders on the GTS because they are worried that people will not buy the facelift.
  2. There are a few 2016 pre-spec'd GTS cars on the way and I could just get one of these but none are in the colour choice or spec that I would be doing so there would be a compromise here.
What do I do??

GET A MANUAL TRANNY YOU WONT BE SORRY AND SAVE $4G
Old 07-26-2015, 11:26 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by woodrow
GET A MANUAL TRANNY YOU WONT BE SORRY AND SAVE $4G
+1
Old 07-26-2015, 02:40 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Supposedly I have a GTS build that starts in about a week. My SA says the factory is only closing for 2 weeks this yr. Dubai people seems to get their cars earlier, and maybe the deliveries end earlier than for the rest of us.
Jim
Old 07-26-2015, 04:46 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What exactly do you mean your order was "blocked"? It sounds to me like your dealer simply didn't get an allocation. I would search around because these cars are out there if burn the calories to find them. Best of luck.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks, I hope you're able to get your build soon!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them you want an S with a Power Kit at no extra cost over the base Carrera 4 if they are going to pull this stuff. And everything else that would have been standard on the GTS.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:05 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Porsche follows a schedule with model releases and has for year. It goes something like this :

New Model entry (or facelift): Carrera and Carrera S Coupes
Appx 9 mos later: Cabriolets, Carrera and S
Appx 6 mos after the Cab: C4 and C4S
Another 6 mos: Turbo & Turbo S
Another 6 mos: GTS series

Then the cycle repeats. Anytime you see the GTS, its typically the last series before the new one comes out and we start all over again. It doesn't surprise me in the least they have stopped building them. Porsche is all about Marketing, and by doing the timed rollouts they keep cars fresh in the magazines and reviews during a model series lifespan. It's quite clever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Order Blocked - Yes You Read It Right!!