Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:18 AM
pontoon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?

Knowing the pros and cons of each, would you rather drive the more traditional NA flat 6, or would you rather drive a smaller displacement, turbo flat 6?

So which is it? "Turbo" or "NA"?
Old 07-26-2015, 01:21 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know. Depends on the engine; need to try it first.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No contest. Smooth, linear transmission of power. NA! All the way. Forget the that on off valve turbo nonsense...great for grunt work like with trucks.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:25 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For pure experiential reasons, I'd take a 964 engine (have a 996, but still long for my '93 C2).
The small-d turbo will be unquestionably a better power plant, if that is the criterion.
Depends on your goals.

New Ram pickup, or a '52 5 window Chevrolet 3100?
I'd take the latter; many, the former. To each his own.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:31 AM
coxswain
Racer

This thread is not a proper poll. It just contains "Poll" in the title. I think OP should revise it. We wanna see the poll results in numbers.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:37 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Did someone cross post the 991.2 thread to one of the EV forums? Seems like all of the sudden we have a plethora of fuel economy zealots making their first posts on Rennlist.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Did someone cross post the 991.2 thread to one of the EV forums? Seems like all of the sudden we have a plethora of fuel economy zealots making their first posts on Rennlist.
Hilarious. Very bizarre indeed.

I'm telling you, there must be an outside marketing firm hired on to "pump up the turbo" or something. I'd say from all the comments, it's like 9 of 10 preferring a NA engine and non existent excitement for the turbo. The only excitement I sense is the the new steering wheel and PCM updates.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:47 AM
pontoon
Track Day

Sorry I'll try to make a real poll. I coudln't figure it out in the short amount of time I tried. Edit: I can't create a poll--only members can.

Also, no I'm not hired by a marketing firm. I'm just a 27 year old who is generally prone to preferring anything being done to a vehicle to make it faster, but I'm considering getting an NA car if this thread convinces me it might hold its value better once turbos come out, similar to how air cooled engines held their value so well once water cooled came out.

I make apps for a living and drive a 2010 Audi S4. My GF doesn't like the way it throws her hard into the seat, so I was thinking maybe the NA would have a smoother, more enjoyable power delivery. Although it's hard to convince myself that more HP and better fuel efficiency isn't what I want.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

What I'd like to see is Porsche offer any car, NA or otherwise, that they haven't nannified the throttle all to hell. This business of having to push a button to get throttle response slightly better than a Camry is BS. Even with the button (Sport) they're still not giving full unadulterated throttle response, but make you pay more for Sport Chrono just to get a little better. Sport Plus! Which if you then drive a GT3 (let alone GT3RS) you find out you're STILL not there because they all have the exact same BS buttons… which means you need a Cup Car before they finally cut the BS and give you actual throttle control.

But then I suspect if you took a poll you'd find hardly anyone even knows this is the case. Which is why I also suspect that Porsche will dial in whatever throttle response they feel they need to keep those in the dark happy, which they will be, and then we can all get back to navel gazing about the way it sounds.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would have been an easy answer if the price of non turbo (carreras) and "the turbo" porsches are the same.

Anyway, IMO, the 991.2 carreras turbo engines are the way to go for DD or spirited driving. A base 3 or at least the RS should remain N/A for track focused car.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:45 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pontoon
Also, no I'm not hired by a marketing firm. I'm just a 27 year old who is generally prone to preferring anything being done to a vehicle to make it faster, but I'm considering getting an NA car if this thread convinces me it might hold its value better once turbos come out, similar to how air cooled engines held their value so well once water cooled came out.

I make apps for a living and drive a 2010 Audi S4. My GF doesn't like the way it throws her hard into the seat, so I was thinking maybe the NA would have a smoother, more enjoyable power delivery. Although it's hard to convince myself that more HP and better fuel efficiency isn't what I want.
Unless the RS goes turbo/hybrid (no more NA offerings from Porsche), I dont see how it holds a noticable value.

Current NA is enjoyable (to the driver) when you drive it past at least 3.5k rpm which makes others raise their eyebrows.
I can drive my 991 tts as smooth as my previous 991 carreras, just dont let the boost come out strong.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:24 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 517 Likes on 195 Posts

Depends on the engine IMO.

I have owned many NA cars and, most recently, a F82 M4 with the twin turbo. Part of me misses and enjoys the feel of a NA car. Part of me loves the "holy crap" torque and power delivery. If Porsche gets the application of the turbo technology right, it will be a very compelling option.

One downside of turbo cars is sound... hard to fix that and something I tend to miss in my current car (although I like the sound of the car), I miss the sound of the NA engines.

I'm currently leaning to picking up a NA engined car (like the current GTS) and enjoy it for a while before NA engines won't exist.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember....the 918 is NA.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I stroked a check for n/a!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

NA for me.

Quick Reply: Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?