Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Children Driving Your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter was a little miffed when she had to learn on a manual Nissan Maxima "dad, why did you buy a manual". When she bought her first car, it was a manual; she's taught numerous friends to drive a manual since. I tried to get her to drive the race car but she has zero interest.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

My 15.5 year old with a learners permit has driven both of mine. He doesn't really enjoy it though; makes him nervous.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:19 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had a 16yr old daughter, I would give her a a Checker Marathon with a roll cage installed. A 16yr old son would have me as confused as my father was. Then, we had a Volvo 122S with maybe 90hp. Today, a 400hp car with lots electronics that can save your *** electronics. I think the same testrosterone poisoning that affected me at that age, can overcome any electronic genius they can come up with. I won't pretend to know the answer to you question. I only post this to show that I appreciate the seriousness of your query. Good luck.....Chris
Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 PM
904c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents have always had nice cars. Used to trade my Dad my Range Rover for his M5 when I was 16. Now that I'm 23, I leave my 991 at their house when I go out of town and use his beater Grand Cherokee to leave at the airport. He shared his toys with me and now I share mine with him. Got a video of him and my mom trying out Sport + on my last trip.

My sister and I weren't allowed to get our licenses until my father thought we were proficient enough on a manual. I learned on his E39 528i and my sister learned on his E39 M5. He still has his pride and joy, a MT 78 Corvette he bought new at 18, and he encourages my sister and I to drive the **** out of it.

I basically taught my younger sister to drive and all about cars. She drives a tuned 335 now. She's always eager to drive the 991 when she's in town, even at 21 she's way more responsible than me.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Pacific German
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
buy an old VW Bug. less than repairing/replacing your Porsche's' transmission.
Then they will have a car use without direct supervision.
That's the worst advice I've ever heard. Give your kid an old unreliable unsafe car without seat belts, abs, heat or a/c or air bags!!!

Sorry, I've heard it before and I cringe every time.
Personally I want to have a clear conscious knowing my kid gets to and from safely.

Last thing I want is to constantly worry if my kid is stuck on the side of the road... Much like I was in my 68 Ghia back in the day.

No sir... No air cooled bugs here.
She uses my R8 V10 for going to high school.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:51 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

I have 3 sons, of which the oldest is just coming of driving age.

I've bought a manual-transmission '91 Volvo 240 wagon for them to learn on, learn to wrench on and maintain, and drive.

I'm considering a small manual NA convertible and perhaps they can drive that when they get responsible enough.

Im terrified of the damage one of them could do with a little idiocy and my current 991 TTS. Cant imagine letting them take it out w/o me.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:52 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My son and daughters first drive was in a Boxter S MT that I got as a loaner while my 997S was serviced. My daughter was 14 and my son 15. I took them to Forest Lawn cemetery and that's where they learned how to drive stick shift. At first my son said that driving an MT is stupid and overly complicated just to make a car go...but after few days driving the MT he finally got it and realized that the car was talking to him and all he had to do is listen and respond appropriately in order to make the car an extension to himself. He loves the MT but prefers the automatics for LA traffic. He drove my 997 and 991 on occasion but he's more comfortable driving his automatic VW Passat. My daughter never really got it (even though she wants to give it an other try) she prefers SUVs to sport cars. Her daily driver is a Volvo XC 90 SUV that she loves (and so do I knowing that she's in a very safe car). I definetly would let them drive my car, but they just don't ask. Different generations I guess...
Old 08-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was raising kids, I did not have any Porsche's. Now I have let my oldest drive my 911 (she was 29) but not my youngest ( she does not make good decisions). As parents, we always want to believe and hope our children will make the right decisions but remembering some of the stuff I did and lived through when I was 16, I do not believe I would have let them. When my kids were growing up, I would go and get them each a car that was safe to drive and if a problem happened, not to expensive to fix. It was good as it taught them all some responsibility. If the vehicle broke becouse of their carelessness or neglect, it would take me more time to fix it and let them be without a car for a while. This is a tough question without a fixed answer.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Years ago with my beginner Porsche (Boxster) I taught my daughter and nephew how to drive a Manual transmission. Both became quite proficient. I used to let my daughter drive my Boxster . I got a 911 and also had the Boxster. she did great on the road with the car but smashed it pulling into the garage because she was afraid to hit my new 911. Lesson learned….leave the car on the driveway!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 06:50 PM
shelhart2
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Driving

I took my teenagers to high school parking lot every Monday night for an hour at 14 and we made it a fun night with ice cream. They learned on my cayenne turbo s. My 17 year old learned stick on a beater then I let him drive my 07 997 TT. If anyone wants the teen driving contract I did send me an email to shelhart2@gmail.com and happy to share.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

There wS this sweet Turkish guy that used to do handyman work for my family. He had two boys who were the love of his life. They got their hands on a sportscar (their buddy's dad had a repair garage). They wrapped it around a tree at 100plus and died, all three of them.
So no, I will not be letting any teenage boys drive my cars unsupervised.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
There wS this sweet Turkish guy that used to do handyman work for my family. He had two boys who were the love of his life. They got their hands on a sportscar (their buddy's dad had a repair garage). They wrapped it around a tree at 100plus and died, all three of them. So no, I will not be letting any teenage boys drive my cars unsupervised.
Terrible situation. I have 2 sons and that would devastate me. They obviously did not know how to drive the car or have the proper respect for it power and idiosyncrasies. This can and should be taught not experienced during a rogue joyride that many young kids are guilty of.

Last edited by Penn4S; 08-01-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Your Children Driving Your 911?