Question about upgrading from base to S or GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:09 AM
Que sera sera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about upgrading from base to S or GTS

Hey guys,

I have lurked on rennlist for about the last 1 year now, after getting my first 911 (2014 base model) last year. I guess I finally decided, however, to actually register now, I'm not sure why I waited, lots of great advice here, but anyway.... So I love my 911, but am interested in upgrading soon to an S (or GTS if I'm lucky). I'm still in a lease however (month 12 of 29 mth total) and by the end of this year (Dec '15) I will be "eligible" for the 12 month early turn in/pull ahead program (although as I understand, Porsche recently announced this a few weeks ago for the '14 model).

I'm willing to wait it out until the end of the year, presuming Porsche still honors the pull ahead, but my question is: since the '16's are right around the corner, is it worth to try to get a dealership now to "work with me" on my remaining payments for my lease and try to snag a '15 S or GTS now. Or just wait until the end of the year when I can do the pull ahead and order a '16 as I want it. My issue with my current car, as most of you guys probably know, it the "itch" to upgrade to at least a S (although my base is a great car), but also the options I have in my base car are okay, but not spectacular (ie: no burmester, no voice control, no glass sunroof, no backup camera). But ordering a '16 makes me think the dealer may not discount it as much as say a '15 sitting on their lot for the last few months now. Thanks.

(On a side note, I FINALLY feel I've gotten better settings for my Bose unit - like a few of you guys I've was previously underwhelmed about it, but I've learned in the last 2 weeks that the front speakers seem way too strong vs the rear speakers, and the subwoofer sits in the front of the car, adding way more "front" sound vs rear sound. I've found if you adjust the fader (ie: set it to -3 or -4), the front and rear seem to balance out, and if you turn off the "surround" and that other weird equalizer (neutral sound) button, and keep the base at neutral + or - 1, it GREATLY improved the acoustics, at least to me. But I digress...)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:14 AM
Que sera sera
AutoX

This is my car BTW.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

I do not have the answer, but I am curious what everyone else will say as I am in similar shoes. I have a mostly base 911 (2014) lease that ends December this year. I am wondering what to get and when to get it.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think about turbo vs NA engines as this will be the main difference between the '15 and '16 models. If you like turbos or have no strong preference either way, then I'd suggest waiting. If you prefer the feel of NA then I can testify that the '15 GTS is a mind-blowing car.

Does anyone know when the 991.2 will be released to press etc so we can see how they've managed the change to FI? Might help the OP with his question if he's got time to wait for the professional opinions of some people who've actually driven the car!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Do not buy the "S" or any car with PDCC. You'll never be able to park above concrete bump stops like that.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:16 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Que sera, I'm not sure the above information from Magic Rat (who suffers from being trans-Atlantic ) is correct. At least early '16 models are still virtually identical to '15s and I believe are already being delivered. Not sure (as it hasn't yet been announced as far as I know) when the 991.2 switch will come, though.

Also, I would point out that you "thought" you'd be happy with the 3.4 car for 29 months, but you're not. I'd be similarly worried about mission creep if you set your sights on a leftover '15. With me at least, I would tend to get into the project, and see a number of cars that were almost exactly what I wanted, and after a few weeks of that, I'd likely get tired of looking and wind up back in the same boat you're in now, only having spent a lot more money and locked myself in for a lot longer.

It always blows my mind to see forum posts like this: "Hey guys, just wanted to show my new Turbo S! I love it! I wanted Guards Red/black and PCCBs, but this one was a really good deal and I didn't want to wait, and I'm really getting to like the White/Luxor combo. And I'm not tracking it so steel brakes are probably fine." In other words, guy just spent 200k on a car he didn't really want, all so he didn't have to wait 10 weeks for a custom order.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Question about upgrading from base to S or GTS

Ditto magicrat. I think you would be better served waiting for the 991.2 (whatever year they call it). I am a proud owner of NA, but with 991.2 around the corner you may feel the "itch" again if you jump into a 991.1 now. Now if you have strong feelings for the NA enginevor against FI, that might sway your choice.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:57 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Default PDCC

Originally Posted by LexVan
Do not buy the "S" or any car with PDCC. You'll never be able to park above concrete bump stops like that.
PDCC ON MY 15 GTS MANUAL IS AWESOME , WOW WHAT A CAR...YES ITS LOW AND PLANTED
Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by John Helmer
PDCC ON MY 15 GTS MANUAL IS AWESOME , WOW WHAT A CAR...YES ITS LOW AND PLANTED
Always park "short" of bump stops.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:05 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Better yet, get Sport PASM and you have a reason to never park above concrete bump stops!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Better yet, get Sport PASM and you have a reason to never park above concrete bump stops!
Oh yeah, that's what I meant to say (not PDCC). Another 10 mm lower than an PASM car.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
It always blows my mind to see forum posts ... guy just spent 200k on a car he didn't really want, all so he didn't have to wait 10 weeks for a custom order.
Order what you want. It's silly to settle just for the instant gratification, which BTW, wears off nearly instantly.

Originally Posted by Que sera sera
my question is: since the '16's are right around the corner, is it worth to try to get a dealership now to "work with me" on my remaining payments for my lease and try to snag a '15 S or GTS now. Or just wait until the end of the year when I can do the pull ahead and order a '16 as I want it.
There's nothing wrong with trying to work a deal - you never know what's on with incentives, inventory, etc. If it doesn't meet your goals, then yes, fer sure, order exactly what you want.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:12 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah yes, good call NoGa. I had thought 16s were the 991.2s.

I agree with much of this. Know there are some strong voices for the 'best Porsche is the now Porsche' position, but certainly for the way my own mind works it was better to wait (even to fiddle with the spec and suffer delays) than to spend all that money and get a car that wasn't perfect. Now every time I drive it there are no 'what-if's' (apart from yellow seat belts, which I may yet treat myself to!).

As a wise man once said: decide in haste, repent at leisure.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know how a dealership can "work with you" on your remaining lease payments. That's really an issue between you and PFS (or whoever you leased from); if it is PFS they have you by the short hairs. I've had some experience with PFS and unless you are in the pull-forward window they don't care. You want out of your lease pay a lump sum or buyout the lease. Just so you know, and I have written this before, your lease payment multiplied by the months remaining is not what you would have to pay to end the lease early. Tax and a use fee are built into the lease and can be up to 35 percent of your payment. When you buy out your lease early you do not pay these monthly fees, only the "monthly contract lease charge" (I can't recall the name so I just call it a monthly contract lease charge)

Anyway, best of luck to you!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You mean Sport PASM, right?

That said, I never park anything above concrete bump stops, save my wife's SUV or my old pickup.

Quick Reply: Question about upgrading from base to S or GTS