Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 "undisguised"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 03:53 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The future is not being kind to the 911...this looks more like an Audi A5 from the back. All the uber modern techno crap with the 991.1 is only getting more so with the next generation. Electric brakes electric steering, electric transmissions, electric suspension, 18-way electric seats, electric stop/start turbo-hybrid engines, it either works or you're on the flatbed...no inbetween. They still try to make them look like cars...but it reality Big Brother and Toyota and the IMF have createe the Prius 911... with badges made in Germany and assembly wherever they find the cheapest robot labor.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:03 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

I'd buy the new 991.1
Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the deal with the tail pipes being so close together? Looks like an Audi TT....
Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm impressed by how much detail you guys spot! The front to me looks pretty similar to my 991 GTS. I don't care for the rear grille at all (but then again I didn't like the black GTS grille and ordered a ducktail partly to delete it), and it does look higher and narrower in a strange way.

I'm sure it'll be faster, more economical and 'better' in a number of ways but...all these strange looks *and* it's a turbo?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default 991.2 "undisguised"

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I'm impressed by how much detail you guys spot!
Porsche's problem? They don't advise us first before making these changes. Some great minds here with FREE advice! I could pick a handful of guys here that could make some unbelievable choices regarding any changes to the 991.2. What do they do? Pay some overpriced consultants, marketers, and arrogant designers that know it all .... Only if ...
Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new 911 looks like it was designed by a committee, not a skilled designer, like Tony Hatter ( the 991 original creator). Too many compromises rolled into one package. A distinct lack of restraint is unfortunately exhibited, purity is lost in the translation. They' ve succeded in making a camel, IMHO.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
The new 911 looks like it was designed by a committee, not a skilled designer, like Tony Hatter ( the 991 original creator). Too many compromises rolled into one package. A distinct lack of restraint is unfortunately exhibited, purity is lost in the translation. They' ve succeded in making a camel, IMHO.
Reminded me of this..
Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^
An awesome and inspiring video on the topic of Porsche's need for independence! Given the various depictions of the new 991.2 and thoughts that it may have been designed by committee is indeed debatable. However, to me, the clean, proportional and elegant lines of the 991.1 epitomizes the design language and automotive beauty that is Porsche! That said, I'm less than enthusiastic about the vertical air vents and centered exhausts of the proposed refresh model which makes the 911 look taller, narrower and less distinctive...
Old 07-17-2015, 01:22 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the new front bumper design, looks in between a normal bumper and a sport design... I don't mind the rear, but don't understand the almost-center exhaust - either make it center exhaust or keep it wide, why go part way?

I think it does look a bit taller in the back, but I think the rear tail lights are not as narrow, which would visually make it look taller... And I imagine the various vents in the rear bumper are the result of cooling needs for the turbos...
Old 07-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
The future is not being kind to the 911...this looks more like an Audi A5 from the back.
I was going to say TT. I think it's starting to look a lot like a TT rear end, but it could just be camera angle.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Key Left
A distinct lack of restraint is unfortunately exhibited, purity is lost in the translation.
This is it in a nutshell. The iconic feature of the 911 has always been its clean, muscular lines, with the emphasis on clean. Busy does not suit the 911.

Seems to be the trend with sporty car designers these days. Overly busy designs trying to catch the eye rather than be timeless and beautiful. The new M4 is perfect example of this, with enough angles and creases on it that you think it may have been designed by the guys that did Transformers.

One of the reasons I picked up an RS5 before Audi screwed it up with their new boxy, crease laden design philosophy, was because it has a simple beautiful shape to it. Simple, slightly muscular, not overdone. Same thing I love about most 911s.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:11 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The front end definitely looks uglier in the way that the sports design front end looks uglier than the standard front IMHO; and I'm not just saying that because I own the .1.

I'll hold off for a better picture before casting judgment on the back. I'm not a huge fan of the big flat space where the "P O R S C H E" paragraph is written and maybe this new rear end fixed that a bit.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The front end definitely looks uglier in the way that the sports design front end looks uglier than the standard front IMHO; and I'm not just saying that because I own the .1.

I'll hold off for a better picture before casting judgment on the back. I'm not a huge fan of the big flat space where the "P O R S C H E" paragraph is written and maybe this new rear end fixed that a bit.
you know what, despite having an SD front on the GTS I am not a fan of the splitter ... I'm going to swap mine for the aerokit cup once I get a couple painted.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you know what, despite having an SD front on the GTS I am not a fan of the splitter ... I'm going to swap mine for the aerokit cup once I get a couple painted.
Funny thing, I loved the SD front end at first. It looks good at a glance, but the more I looked at it, the less it grew on me. To the point where I actually prefer the base bumper with the Sport PASM lip. It just looks cleans and sporty, especially on a lowered Sport PASM car. I really like the look of the Vorsteiner lip on the base bumper on a lowered car also.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a photo of a pre-production car: http://www.flat6mag.com/medias/image...1-facelift.jpg

Quick Reply: 991.2 "undisguised"