Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 PM
pcosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?

In my old Porsche I used the tow hook solution, which was not great, but it was better than square in the front bumper.
Getting a GTS which has the Sport Design bumper and a third radiator. Also have the parking sensors, so I really don't know how deal with it.
The tow hook is not a solution because of the parking sensors.
Does anyone have pictures of passable solutions?
Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

if you do ED, the factory will happily drill your front bumper for you!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 PM
pcosta
Instructor

Thanks Larry, I ordered a Skene license bracket, but even that will look awful. Don't know if there's an alternative. I'm thinking about getting a vinyl sign where it could be slimmer than a full license plate, maintaining the name of the State (CT) and the numbers/letters and maybe be able to cut down - maybe - two inches and attach to the bumper with a self adhesive tape. But it will be difficult to pull it off and still look good. What will you do?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:03 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think you'd get into bigger trouble tampering with a plate or trying to pass something off as a plate than you would for simply running w/o a front plate. Can't say for sure, just my hunch.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eg991
I would think you'd get into bigger trouble tampering with a plate or trying to pass something off as a plate than you would for simply running w/o a front plate. Can't say for sure, just my hunch.
I'd be tempted to run w/o, in Ca its a 'fixit' ticket, so $25 and some 3M "command" strips and voila!

sadly I'll be filling my factory installed drill holes with bumperplugs...
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I keep the damn front plate in the frunk. I did the same on the Cayman R I had for almost four years. It can be tricky at inspection time, but as long as I've had the front plate with me in the car I've managed. No way am I going to have the front drilled. There is a pretty good option from Rennline in Vermont. Their solution uses the front tow-hook location, so it should not interfere with any radiator or parking sensors. My fall-back position, should I be questioned by the gendarmes, is a blatant lie, so I'm thinking of ordering the parts from Rennline and leaving them in the frunk with the plate, then pleading mechanical ineptitude re installation. Probably not a good idea to run around with the Rennline tow-hook hanging there, with the plate in the frunk. Question: Am I correct in thinking that laser guns typically target the front license plate?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
I keep the damn front plate in the frunk. I did the same on the Cayman R I had for almost four years. It can be tricky at inspection time, but as long as I've had the front plate with me in the car I've managed. No way am I going to have the front drilled. . . . My fall-back position, should I be questioned by the gendarmes, is a blatant lie, so I'm thinking of ordering the parts from Rennline and leaving them in the frunk with the plate, then pleading mechanical ineptitude re installation. . . . Question: Am I correct in thinking that laser guns typically target the front license plate?
+1

I haven't run a front plate on any car for over 15 years and have never had a problem. But kwikit and I are both from Massachusetts and I don't think that strategy will work in all states. From other similar posts, I think that CA and IL are especially problematic not installing a front plate.

kwikit - yes, laser guns typical go for the plate, so that's the added bonus. btw, we've got to get together soon. I'm anxious to see your Sapphire/Garnett combo.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 AM
pcosta
Instructor

Eg991, I have a hunch that you may be right!! Forget about that idea!

Found out that in CT the fine is $75and similarly to other states if you submit a picture that it is fixed the fine should be dropped. The major adverse consequence is that it allows the police to stop you.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I have run without a front plate on my 991 for 18 months, and before that my Aston Vantage for 3 years. No tickets and not stopped (yet). If I do, I'll pay $ 100 tops and its just improper equipment. No biggie, its part of the cost of driving a car with a handsome front end I figure.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:14 PM
jjwand
Track Day

I installed the Skene on my GTS and it looks OK. Obviously would prefer no plate at all but figure I didn't want to give Johnny Law yet another reason to pull me over. Also, in OR they will give you a parking ticket for no plate.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjwand
I installed the Skene on my GTS and it looks OK. Obviously would prefer no plate at all but figure I didn't want to give Johnny Law yet another reason to pull me over. Also, in OR they will give you a parking ticket for no plate.
same in Ca, or San Francisco at least...
Old 07-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It would depend on the language of the vehicle code of a particular state and its intent. I'd guess that generally it is not permitted but the extent to which you may be penalized is a discretionary call. If you make/use a vinyl plate that is clearly visible with no intention to defraud and for the simple reason being that you don't want to drill holes in your bumper, your worst case scenario is likely to be a no front license plate infraction (particularly if you have the metal plate in your car). Explain this to a police officer if pulled over and offer to attach the metal plate with a tow hook mount and the odds are good you'll walk away or get a "fix it" fine that you can get signed off on right there. There are probably a lot of people in law enforcement that can sympathize/empathize with you over not wanting to drill holes in the bumper of a $150,000 car.

PAG could solve this problem if, in a stylish manner, they would just put plugs/covers on the front bumpers of all the cars they manufacture (sort of like the roof rack and tow hook covers that we all have which pop out.)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't run a front plate here in NJ unless the car is a daily driver (Suburban 2500 HD for me). My fun cars have never had front plates.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:50 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Haven't had a front plate on any of my sports cars for over 44 years. No tix, no fines eva. T
Old 07-09-2015, 03:05 PM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 77tony
Haven't had a front plate on any of my sports cars for over 44 years. No tix, no fines eva. T
I didn't want to jinx myself by saying that - but that has been my experience as well.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?