Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:07 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy an acre of land in Florida, 1 plate state. Plus cheap dinner specials, between 3:00-5:00 every afternoon.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

I keep my plate in my frunk attached to a tow hook mount.

I will typically get a no front plate ticket 1-2 times year. It's $25 fixit in CA. I just screw on the tow hook, get it fixed, then remove it right after
Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by pcosta
Thanks Larry, I ordered a Skene license bracket, but even that will look awful. Don't know if there's an alternative. I'm thinking about getting a vinyl sign where it could be slimmer than a full license plate, maintaining the name of the State (CT) and the numbers/letters and maybe be able to cut down - maybe - two inches and attach to the bumper with a self adhesive tape. But it will be difficult to pull it off and still look good. What will you do?
I am also in CT, and haven't had a front plate EVER. Take your chances...
Old 07-10-2015, 11:48 AM
pcosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Joe, that's what I'll do.
And will attach the little sign that I contribute to the local police association...
Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jjwand
I installed the Skene on my GTS and it looks OK. Obviously would prefer no plate at all but figure I didn't want to give Johnny Law yet another reason to pull me over. Also, in OR they will give you a parking ticket for no plate.
I've gotten several "parking tickets" for no front plate ($80) here in Portland.

I've ordered the Dynamic Tech "Drop Mount" to use the tow point but drop the plate below the parking sensors. I'll let y'all know how it works. $72 delivered.

http://www.dynamtechgroup.com/porsch...ate-holder.php

If I read the OR statute correctly, it seems that the "issued plate" must be displayed on the front of the vehicle, so I can't do a vinyl replica over the Xpel like I would like to without some expectation that it won't be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:58 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a '13 991S with Power kit and Sport Design front bumper. See picture for how we mounted the Skene mount on the front so air gets to third radiator and obviously no blockage of the parking sensors. I think we used the medium length bracket. Certainly works fine for me.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
I've gotten several "parking tickets" for no front plate ($80) here in Portland.

I've ordered the Dynamic Tech "Drop Mount" to use the tow point but drop the plate below the parking sensors. I'll let y'all know how it works. $72 delivered.

If I read the OR statute correctly, it seems that the "issued plate" must be displayed on the front of the vehicle, so I can't do a vinyl replica over the Xpel like I would like to without some expectation that it won't be appreciated.
It might be different where you live but I doubt they will give you a ticket when you are showing your tag number on a vinyl sticker. I've been pulled over a few times and every time the Police have been very understanding and let me get away with my huge crime.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Just out of curiosity, after the first ticket why didn't you simply rig some temporary mount for the front when you park? Berkeley seems to be the only locality where I live where parking enforcement looks for no front plate (it is a $30 ticket). I rigged a temporary holder that slips into the tow hook mount (no threads, just slips in and holds plate for display) and that has worked so far.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Just out of curiosity, after the first ticket why didn't you simply rig some temporary mount for the front when you park? Berkeley seems to be the only locality where I live where parking enforcement looks for no front plate (it is a $30 ticket). I rigged a temporary holder that slips into the tow hook mount (no threads, just slips in and holds plate for display) and that has worked so far.
SF Muni parking will also ding you for this, not only that SFPD will go to the trouble of pulling you over and issuing a ticket for no front plate ... our tax dollars at work!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:20 AM
pcosta
Instructor

Hi Visceral, yes please let us know, this may be a solution.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 PM
pasd18
Intermediate

I use a d-spaly plate bracket, suction cups to front bumper. Open the frunk and stick it on when parking or pulled over.
http://www.d-splayplate.com
Old 07-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
SF Muni parking will also ding you for this, not only that SFPD will go to the trouble of pulling you over and issuing a ticket for no front plate ... our tax dollars at work!
Hey Larry, I don't have any idea if this works or not but I left the plastic sleeve w/ the temp. reg. on the front windshield. I figure that if a policeman sees you from the front with no plate they may automatically look for the temp. reg. I can't be sure but on two occasions I passed police cars going the other way and saw them turn on there lights, they may have been coming after me (one I am pretty sure was). Both times the roads allowed me to get out of their line of sight and I took a series of lefts and rights and never saw them again. If nothing else, the plastic sleeve makes feel less vulnerable.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
+1

I haven't run a front plate on any car for over 15 years and have never had a problem. But kwikit and I are both from Massachusetts and I don't think that strategy will work in all states. From other similar posts, I think that CA and IL are especially problematic not installing a front plate.
21 years in California without a plate on the front of my car. No tickets yet.

I've never heard of a cop pulling anyone over out here, while moving, solely for a front plate violation. I've only heard about it in parking situations. If you sit at a light around here and watch cars go through, about 10 percent don't have a front plate. If you head into the hills where the sports car count goes up, it's even higher.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
It might be different where you live but I doubt they will give you a ticket when you are showing your tag number on a vinyl sticker. I've been pulled over a few times and every time the Police have been very understanding and let me get away with my huge crime.
When I receive the Drop-Mount, I'll pull the tow-hook plug and try it out. If there's any issue with rigidity, appearance, blockage of radiators, etc. etc.; I'll have my plate turned into a replica vinyl sticker and try it. If I get a ticket, I'll see if a judge reverses it. If not, I'll look into getting rare-earth magnets stuck on the back side of my bumper. I can then place some magnets between the back of the plate and some microfiber cloth adhered with double sided tape, and apply it whenever I park (The car is completely covered in Xpel Ultimate).

Who knows. There's no way I'm putting that factory bracket on the car.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 PM
pcosta
Instructor

When I receive the Drop-Mount, I'll pull the tow-hook plug and try it out. If there's any issue with rigidity, appearance, blockage of radiators, etc. etc.; I'll have my plate turned into a replica vinyl sticker and try it. If I get a ticket, I'll see if a judge reverses it. If not, I'll look into getting rare-earth magnets stuck on the back side of my bumper. I can then place some magnets between the back of the plate and some microfiber cloth adhered with double sided tape, and apply it whenever I park (The car is completely covered in Xpel Ultimate).

Who knows. There's no way I'm putting that factory bracket on the car.
Hi Visceral,
Did you get the drop mount yet? What was your take?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?