Sponsored by:

Fading Sunroof Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 PM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fading Sunroof Gasket

Any suggestions for touching up the sunroof gasket in areas it has faded (white-ish)? Not a huge deal but kind of stands out to humans over 5 feet tall on my jet black 2012.5 c2S. Was thinking Back to Black or a similar product might work using a thin paint brush? Just didnt want it to disintegrate or something. I know I should be thankful I don't have the dreaded rattle. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I use Aerospace 303, and apply with a qtip. Those gaskets come looking faded from the factory practically. Nice dust/dirt collectors too. Any of the other rubber/vinyl products should work as well. I use Aerospace for tire dressing too!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 PM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Great - thanks for the rec.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it really fading or could it be some polish or wax that got on the rubber?

In the latter case there's a lot of stuff out there about how to get wax off of rubber trim and molding - even rubbing peanut butter on it (don't do that). I think a high quality rubber dressing product should work to darken the look of the rubber again - but know that you are probably going to have to reapply a few times a year as this doesn't get the wax out of the rubber...I haven't found a real reliable answer as to how to do that as of yet.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:23 AM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also a huge fan of the 303. I use it on all the weatherstripping trim and have done so for years. That stuff is great on everything.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:31 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 266 Posts

Since those spaces have a tendancy to collect wax / sealant as well I stripped them clean prior to treating.

I used "Black Wow" to treat it and it made it look brand new. I applied it very carefully with a q-tip as others suggested.

Before Black Wow I used their cleaner / prep product called "Pre-Wow" with a tooth brush to get it back to a completely clean slate.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I use Aerospace 303, and apply with a qtip. Those gaskets come looking faded from the factory practically. Nice dust/dirt collectors too. Any of the other rubber/vinyl products should work as well. I use Aerospace for tire dressing too!
1+
Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 AM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Thanks all. It is possible it's wax - it's really only in a few spots. If it was actually fading i suspect it would be more evenly distributed / wide-spread. Either way, I ordered some 303.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If it ain't painted, glass, fabric or leather, I put that $hit (Aerospace 303) on everything.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

This stuff is great too. You need to thoroughly clean any surface before using it like a degreaser type product. There are a few products for cleaning plastic too. This one probably has suggestions too. Haven't used it forever. Used it on rubber window trim a few years back on another vehicle and totally brought it back to life.

They make a great tire product too. Nice finish that lasts months without having to dress them every wash.

Got them from www.detailedimage.com

They have a huge 25% off sale going on through 7/6 too
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Dangelus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

303 will return the gasket to its original black color and protect. Use it on all your cars plastic, rubber and God-forbid any vinyl bits.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:39 PM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a product I use which is very popular in the BMW world - Gummifledge. You can use it to condition all rubber deals on your car, I do it once a year to prevent drying. If wax or polish has found its way onto rubber or plastic, a little rubbing alcohol should remove it, though conditioning of the rubber thereafter is advised. I live in a very dry climate at altitude, so rubber perished far quicker, hence Gummifledge once a year. Gummifledge is also great at getting rid of squeaks between rubber seals. It's made by IZ, so good rep:
Amazon.com: einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive Amazon.com: einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive

Quick Reply: Fading Sunroof Gasket