Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't take car to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Several times per year I rent Avis cars in Buffalo and drive to Toronto and Montreal. Border control always asks if rental car. I always say yes. Never ask for papers. Never an issue.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Presumably it's not a country thing but rather a company thing. I suspect the Mounties don't care if you drive into Canada (unless it's a slammed ricer).
Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You could look at it this way, a lease is actually a long term rental agreement. As far as I know you don't take title of the car therefore Porsche is protecting their ability to retrieve the car at the end of the lease period. My guess is that this is not intended to keep you from traveling to a foreign country, it is more likely to keep you from moving the car there more permanently. In that case it would be much more difficult for Porsche to retrieve the car from a foreign country should you decide not to return the car at lease end.

They aren't specifically saying Canada in the documents. They're probably more worried you'll put down a few thousand on a lease and then take the car to Columbia and stop making your payments.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 AM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Several times per year I rent Avis cars in Buffalo and drive to Toronto and Montreal. Border control always asks if rental car. I always say yes. Never ask for papers. Never an issue.
You might try asking Avis about going into Canada the next time you rent.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Still restless
You might try asking Avis about going into Canada the next time you rent.
Not my first rodeo.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:53 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Vancouver and one time rented a car in Seattle to return home when flight cancelled. The issue at the border was that a Canadian was driving a US registered vehicle in Canada and technically the taxes/duties were due! I was advised to take it straight to the Canadian office of the rental company and return it right then so to speak. Asked a police friend about it and he confirmed the problem. He also advised, at that time (a few years ago) the police had instructions to immediately impound any car not of Canadian registry if they found a Canadian driving and the owner not there. The old shoot first and ask questions later philosophy.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Being a Canuck, I have never had an issue taking any of my leased vehicles into the U.S. Perhaps its a U.S thing?
We Canadians are pretty nasty and our country is terribly dangerous.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
I live in Vancouver and one time rented a car in Seattle to return home when flight cancelled. The issue at the border was that a Canadian was driving a US registered vehicle in Canada and technically the taxes/duties were due! I was advised to take it straight to the Canadian office of the rental company and return it right then so to speak. Asked a police friend about it and he confirmed the problem. He also advised, at that time (a few years ago) the police had instructions to immediately impound any car not of Canadian registry if they found a Canadian driving and the owner not there. The old shoot first and ask questions later philosophy.
I believe the concern that Customs has is over a Canadian buying a US car and illegally importing for permanent use in Canada. On the many times that I have driven a US rental into Canada, they will occasionally check the rental agreement and leave it at that. I have dual citizenship and maintain my principal residence in the US.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsany
Being a Canuck, I have never had an issue taking any of my leased vehicles into the U.S. Perhaps its a U.S thing?
We Canadians are pretty nasty and our country is terribly dangerous.
You forgot to mention the roaming packs of rabid wolves.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:16 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by Harsany
Being a Canuck, I have never had an issue taking any of my leased vehicles into the U.S. Perhaps its a U.S thing? We Canadians are pretty nasty and our country is terribly dangerous.
That and car prices were about 25% higher in Canada last time I checked, subject to high sales taxes and to different safety regulations, making illegal importation tempting for some.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

If you drive in Ontario and goes 50km/hr over the 100km/h limit, it is considered stunt driving. Automatic roadside seizure of vehicle, and you lose your license right there. Up to CDN$10,000 fine. Won't be fun if you are from the states.

Very easy to do in a 991, got to watch out.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
You forgot to mention the roaming packs of rabid wolves.
Yep, I forgot that ongoing issue, plus the popularity of the beaver up here.

Quick Reply: Can't take car to Canada?