First time buyer - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:53 AM
KD1811
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First time buyer - a few questions

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have finally decided to buy my first Porsche...a 991! I have a deposit down on a 2012 991 but was wondering if this option list is sufficient. In other words, do you guys think this car seems 'boring'? Here are the options:

-BOSE Audio Package
-Navigation Module
-Power Sport Seats (14-way)
-Power Steering Plus
-19-inch Carrera wheel
-7-speed Manual Transmission

I think I'm getting a pretty good deal on this car (CPO till 2018, ~30k miles, sub $60k) but didn't want to rush into any sort of deal and then regret my purchase because of a lack of a few options. Would love to hear what the community thinks about this.

Thanks in advance for your help,
KD
Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

We're all of 4 days into our ownership of a 2015 Targa 4S. You'll hear many well-intentioned knowledgable opinions here.

In my mind, if it's any 911, it's awesome. Make sure you get the transmission you prefer. Like chocolate and vanilla, neither is better but they are different so choose accordingly.

We've had an '83 since 2001... The car matters, the options don't.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:10 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
We're all of 4 days into our ownership of a 2015 Targa 4S. You'll hear many well-intentioned knowledgable opinions here. In my mind, if it's any 911, it's awesome. Make sure you get the transmission you prefer. Like chocolate and vanilla, neither is better but they are different so choose accordingly. We've had an '83 since 2001... The car matters, the options don't.
How do you like the targa so far?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by KD1811
Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have finally decided to buy my first Porsche...a 991! I have a deposit down on a 2012 991 but was wondering if this option list is sufficient. In other words, do you guys think this car seems 'boring'? Here are the options: -BOSE Audio Package -Navigation Module -Power Sport Seats (14-way) -Power Steering Plus -19-inch Carrera wheel -7-speed Manual Transmission I think I'm getting a pretty good deal on this car (CPO till 2018, ~30k miles, sub $60k) but didn't want to rush into any sort of deal and then regret my purchase because of a lack of a few options. Would love to hear what the community thinks about this. Thanks in advance for your help, KD
Base model correct??

Looked at any preowned "S" trim 991's?

My opinion, if you've gone this far, the extra 50HP and wheel/suspension, etc. options on the S are one of the biggest jumps in the 991 model line.

A sample of some nice preowned performance orientated 991's. A lot to keep a pulse in for me, so I stick with the S and 4S models. And GTS when they start showing up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...-the-week.html
Old 05-22-2015, 08:24 AM
STG
Race Director

Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have finally decided to buy my first Porsche...a 991! I have a deposit down on a 2012 991 but was wondering if this option list is sufficient. In other words, do you guys think this car seems 'boring'? Here are the options: -BOSE Audio Package -Navigation Module -Power Sport Seats (14-way) -Power Steering Plus -19-inch Carrera wheel -7-speed Manual Transmission I think I'm getting a pretty good deal on this car (CPO till 2018, ~30k miles, sub $60k) but didn't want to rush into any sort of deal and then regret my purchase because of a lack of a few options. Would love to hear what the community thinks about this. Thanks in advance for your help, KD
What is the original sticker price? And exact selling price if you're really crazy about this car?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM
KD1811
Track Day

Originally Posted by STG991
Base model correct?? Looked at any preowned "S" trim 991's? My opinion, if you've gone this far, the extra 50HP and wheel/suspension, etc. options on the S are one of the biggest jumps in the 991 model line. A sample of some nice preowned performance orientated 991's. A lot to keep a pulse in for me, so I stick with the S and 4S models. And GTS when they start showing up. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...-the-week.html
Correct, base model. I test drove an S but that's a little too much car for me right now. I may move up to an S/4S/GTS after I become acquainted with a base. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 AM
KD1811
Track Day

What is the original sticker price? And exact selling price if you're really crazy about this car?
The sticker is close to $90k and I could get it for $59k. Based on similar comps (forums, cars.com, porsche cpo directory) it seems like a good price but I'm willing to be patient if this car doesn't seem right
Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
How do you like the targa so far?
Phenomenal!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Correct, base model. I test drove an S but that's a little too much car for me right now. I may move up to an S/4S/GTS after I become acquainted with a base. Thanks for your input.
A 30K drop in sticker price is common on cars In the S line with cars with under 5K miles. The more expensive optioned cars take a bit bigger of hits.

A 30K off sticker on a base, might be ok, but have you found one with less miles in that price range? I'm more concerned with the 30K mileage. I do understand the base models have a bit less downside in prices drops somewhat.

I don't follow the base market closely, but if you message me a link I'd look at yours. Not too hard to look at the others out there. Your deal doesn't scream any red flags, especially with a CPO from what I see so far.

To jump to an S, you'd be closer to mid 70's, and that's similar mileage to yours. I understand it's not for everyone, but more expensive to try and upgrade in a year or two with dumping a car you have now. All personal preference.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Back to your original question, do I find it boring? If you're happy with the performance aspect of the car you're looking at, the other options look ok.

It's seems like you've done your homework on the price! I saw you even have a deposit down??

If the car looks good in person, that's the deciding factor. Color combination?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

KD, it sounds like you know where you want to be price-wise for your first 911, and it's easy for us to spend more of your money, so first and foremost, I'd stick to your budget. I'm guessing you've got plenty of time left in your life to aspire to an S, GTS and Turbo later.

With that said, I think you've found a good base model. I'd have a bit of concern about the mileage, but I think you've got that covered by the CPO. If you haven't already, you may want to look around for a car with lower mileage. If you've done that and you like the car, I'd say go for it.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:56 AM
KD1811
Track Day

Back to your original question, do I find it boring? If you're happy with the performance aspect of the car you're looking at, the other options look ok.

It's seems like you've done your homework on the price! I saw you even have a deposit down??

If the car looks good in person, that's the deciding factor. Color combination?
Dark blue metallic/grey. PM'd you.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 AM
KD1811
Track Day

Originally Posted by hinckley
KD, it sounds like you know where you want to be price-wise for your first 911, and it's easy for us to spend more of your money, so first and foremost, I'd stick to your budget. I'm guessing you've got plenty of time left in your life to aspire to an S, GTS and Turbo later.

With that said, I think you've found a good base model. I'd have a bit of concern about the mileage, but I think you've got that covered by the CPO. If you haven't already, you may want to look around for a car with lower mileage. If you've done that and you like the car, I'd say go for it.
Hinckley, thanks for your reply. I did look at lower mileage vehicles but the price is about $4-5K for similar optioned CPO'd cars. The 991 will be a weekend/summer car, so it'll probably be driven about 5-7k miles a year, so the mileage will average out over a few years. Even if the car is CPO, should I be concerned about the relatively high mileage? I know this car, along with other early 991s, have experienced some recalls (engine compartment cov replacement, pcm service, etc). I'd be willing to increase my budget for a more reliable car.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

While we all like the idea of buying a car with under 5000 miles, the decision to go higher miles (with the resultant savings) can be looked at differently. Namely:

If I already owned this car (and wasn't just bored with it because I'd had it 3 years), and it had this number of miles, and I knew I could get $59k for it in trade, would I feel compelled to get rid of it because it had 30,000 miles? If it was me, no way. If I MYSELF own the car, 30,000 miles seems like a pittance, and the only reason to get rid of it is I'm bored and want some more Shiny. Which doesn't apply to OP, of course.

So, is lower miles better? Of course. But presumably those miles will cost more money. Everybody has a top budget at a given time, and if OP's comfortable budget is $60k, he's either looking at a base, maybe a super-high-miles 991S, or a 997S.

I see nothing wrong with getting a car with 30k miles if that is what's required for OP to get into a 991. It is so much better than a 997 that it's worth giving up the "S" designation and taking a few extra miles.

Note: I don't know if 59k for a base with 30k is a good price; I'm assuming it is based on OP's research.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Hinckley, thanks for your reply. I did look at lower mileage vehicles but the price is about $4-5K for similar optioned CPO'd cars. The 991 will be a weekend/summer car, so it'll probably be driven about 5-7k miles a year, so the mileage will average out over a few years. Even if the car is CPO, should I be concerned about the relatively high mileage? I know this car, along with other early 991s, have experienced some recalls (engine compartment cov replacement, pcm service, etc). I'd be willing to increase my budget for a more reliable car.
The "recalls" on your model if all were done that were offered, will increase the reliability rather than decrease it. Porsche does running fixes routinely. The car you are looking at is unusual for its lack of options. That may hurt your resale a bit. More people seem to want options in "luxury" sports cars than want to be "purists". At its mileage it will likely need brake pads and tires if they have not been replaced recently, so that should figure into the price.

But if it has not been in any accidents and runs well, the main thing given your requirements, is that it should feel as good as a new car. 991s are solid and generally tight (rattles should have been tracked down by now).

One thing to know is that all 991s perform superbly- as sports cars and as GT cruisers. You wont "learn" anything more on a base Carrera than you would on an S- except that you want an S.

Quick Reply: First time buyer - a few questions