Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette's are better than Porsches! As says crazy uncle Joe!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN 911
Ok guys laugh at Joe is funny. But every north american can be proud of the new C7
From a purely mechanical standpoint, agreed.

Aesthetically speaking though, that's highly debatable.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

A debate that never ends. Some say its ugly. Others, grotesque. Some, overgrown marketing committee scribbling just plain Transformers overdone. All have their merits.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were to bet on which car you could take around the track the fastest, my guess it would be the vette. But the pleasure one derives from cars really can't be determined by any numerical measurement. In terms of raw performance per dollar the vette beats the crap out of the 991. The interior is waay better than previous iterations, especially in the rather expensive LT3 option. It is still far behind the Porsche, at least compared to the red interior of my C2S cab. I also think the small block Chevy might be the most durable engine ever made. I've never hear of a premature failure of that engine of any sort since its introduction in 1955. In terms of exterior styling, I think the the previous iteration of the vette is better looking than the present one. The new one has more "buck Rogers" style accents than I care for. If you read my signature you will see I'm a stone cold Porsche nut, having owned one since 1987, but I have to give credit when it's due. My next comment would insult many, if they ever read it, and that is that I prefer to be seen as a Porsche guy. Corvettes to me are gold chains, blondes with big *****, and successful blue collar trade guys. I don't like admitting that about myself, but there it is. I'm also into bikes. I've been riding over 50 years. I never once considered a Harley for the same reason, only European or Japanese bikes for me. After 38 bikes I finally bought a Harley Limited as a second bike. It is fabulous at what it was meant to do...way better than any Ducati, Triumph, BMW, Honda, etc. could do. My girlfriend loves it, but if I must be buried with one it would be a Ducati, not a Harley.

I bought my C2S cab in 2012, while my 993tt was in the shop for six months being repaired as a result of a vandal's attack in Vegas. I love my 991, but I paid $130,000 for it and at 16,000 miles I would be lucky to get $90,000 for it. Had I bought a vette the depreciation would be less than half of that. And still I love 911's, I'm getting ready to order another for European delivery. Their rewards extend far beyond numbers.....Chris.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:26 PM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what he got for bailing out GM with taxpayers money. I wonder if he got a Viper also?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you would have preferred a major corporation and putting tens of thousands our of work.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
From a purely mechanical standpoint, agreed.

Aesthetically speaking though, that's highly debatable.
Originally Posted by chuck911
A debate that never ends. Some say its ugly. Others, grotesque. Some, overgrown marketing committee scribbling just plain Transformers overdone. All have their merits.
Originally Posted by solomonschris
If you were to bet on which car you could take around the track the fastest, my guess it would be the vette. But the pleasure one derives from cars really can't be determined by any numerical measurement. In terms of raw performance per dollar the vette beats the crap out of the 991. The interior is waay better than previous iterations, especially in the rather expensive LT3 option. It is still far behind the Porsche, at least compared to the red interior of my C2S cab. I also think the small block Chevy might be the most durable engine ever made. I've never hear of a premature failure of that engine of any sort since its introduction in 1955. In terms of exterior styling, I think the the previous iteration of the vette is better looking than the present one. The new one has more "buck Rogers" style accents than I care for. If you read my signature you will see I'm a stone cold Porsche nut, having owned one since 1987, but I have to give credit when it's due. My next comment would insult many, if they ever read it, and that is that I prefer to be seen as a Porsche guy. Corvettes to me are gold chains, blondes with big *****, and successful blue collar trade guys. I don't like admitting that about myself, but there it is. I'm also into bikes. I've been riding over 50 years. I never once considered a Harley for the same reason, only European or Japanese bikes for me. After 38 bikes I finally bought a Harley Limited as a second bike. It is fabulous at what it was meant to do...way better than any Ducati, Triumph, BMW, Honda, etc. could do. My girlfriend loves it, but if I must be buried with one it would be a Ducati, not a Harley.

I bought my C2S cab in 2012, while my 993tt was in the shop for six months being repaired as a result of a vandal's attack in Vegas. I love my 991, but I paid $130,000 for it and at 16,000 miles I would be lucky to get $90,000 for it. Had I bought a vette the depreciation would be less than half of that. And still I love 911's, I'm getting ready to order another for European delivery. Their rewards extend far beyond numbers.....Chris.
+1 styled by Hasbro...not to my taste at any price or performance point
Old 05-21-2015, 09:44 PM
coxswain
Racer

This Uncle Joe is one creepy old geezer. Look at the video above with the little girl. I wouldn't buy anything Uncle Joe is peddling, no matter how the new Vette is good.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Can't beat German engineering and precision. From a design standpoint, the 911 makes a presence without making a scene. It doesn't scream look at me, but provokes a "look at that".

Vette: the stripper with the fake breasts

911: natural beauty and brains, but still blows your mind away
Old 05-21-2015, 11:44 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG991
Can't beat German engineering and precision. From a design standpoint, the 911 makes a presence without making a scene. It doesn't scream look at me, but provokes a "look at that".

Vette: the stripper with the fake breasts

911: natural beauty and brains, but still blows your mind away
Well said.

Vette: Corvette Summer, Mark Hamill, Annie Potts
911: LeMans, Steve McQueen, Elga Andersen
Old 05-22-2015, 03:24 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

GM went overboard with the styling, if they aren't grabbing the younger demographic. The effort is impressive nevertheless and I second the opinion that it's good to see a viable American product. Sadly, Z06 seems to be a bit disappointing. I'm hoping the next gen Vette is mid engine.

A Porsche 911 is like a great ***. It just won't quit.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Worldofcars got the white house photo op picture for their story. The original was

congrats to white house photoshop for a great job....at least someone in the white house ghetto banger staff does good work.

real question isnt C7/Pcar.....it's who is the new chick in joes harum?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
Worldofcars got the white house photo op picture for their story. The original was congrats to white house photoshop for a great job....at least someone in the white house ghetto banger staff does good work. real question isnt C7/Pcar.....it's who is the new chick in joes harum?
I love your photoshopping! Quite hilarious
Old 05-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Someone has stolen Chuck's ID. ^ , even though negative, is uncharacteristically libertarian! I am a fan of when he is the straw that stirs the opinionated drink - as in below

The 'vette really impresses the 11 year olds Joe is into.
Joe Biden creepy kiss of Senator's young Daughter - @OpieRadio - YouTube
Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Uncharacteristically?!? Yeah out of 3,000+ probably only several hundred are clearly of a libertarian bent. The thing about opinionated drinks, all the best drinks are highly opinionated. A class IPA is strongly of the opinion that hops make the ale, while a solid Stout clearly feels its the roasted barley that makes for a quenching quaff. Budweiser? Too blandly middle of the road to rate. Its the same for wines, where your top ones are all varietals (my grapes better than yours) while at the bottom of the barrel its all blended together. Anyone who's been around cars any time at all and doesn't have a pretty strong opinion about the vette vs the 911 either hasn't been paying attention, or maybe is just too PC to speak the truth. Americans have been hot-rodding cars since forever. Carroll Shelby made a legend, but Chip Foose does basically the same thing every week. The C7 is basically just another hot rod, I am not impressed. When I will be impressed is when Americans make a car that is a fully integrated expression of driving art and engineering, that feels as refined as it is responsive, is as practical as it is provocative, and is timeless both in its design and ability to endure everyday hard use. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Better? May be the numbers look better on paper. But build quality? I highly question it.

Below are some pic I snapped, it's a brand new z06 at dealer. Look at all the panel gaps, the left and right side don't even line up proper. May be this is a once off, but if the exterior is as F as this, I do wonder what happens on the inside...

Quick Reply: Vette's are better than Porsches! As says crazy uncle Joe!