Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full body clear bra (Esoteric Detail)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:07 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Full body clear bra (Esoteric Detail)

Hey guys;

New GTS owner as of last week. Is it worth it to get a full body clear bra? I am planning on keeping this car for a very long time and would like to keep the paint protected. Contacted Esoteric Detail and they want about $5K for the whole car....pretty damn steep but I've read/heard they do phenomenal work. So including the new car prep (doing the "Ultimate New Car Preparation and Protection") and the whole body clear bra, looking at $8K...that's a lot of change. Should I just do the full frontal?

http://www.esotericdetail.com/detail...nd-protection/

Cheers.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The next guy to own your car will be so happy that you did
Old 05-19-2015, 11:16 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

I am the first and last of owner of this car--the only way I'll get rid of this car is if it turns out to be a lemon
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

You're in good hands with Todd. You're lucky you're close. Didn't realize you were in OH.

I did the full hood, full bumper, and full front fenders. Thought doing the whole car was overkill. The prices you quoted are fair for the quality of work they do.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:27 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

I actually live in Pittsburgh and about a 2 hour drive from Todd. Ya, I think it is overkill indeed. I've read that the problem with getting half of the car done is that the unprotected paint will age quicker than the protected paint...not sure how valid this is
Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
I actually live in Pittsburgh and about a 2 hour drive from Todd. Ya, I think it is overkill indeed. I've read that the problem with getting half of the car done is that the unprotected paint will age quicker than the protected paint...not sure how valid this is
I don't buy that. Age as in scratches, etc?? Nothing a paint correction can't fix. Not like the paint is going to fade or anything. I wouldn't worry. PPF film does age and gets beat up a bit. If you want it looking great, usually due for a replacement after 5yrs or so. Depending on how much the car is being used.

Up to you, but the front is where most of the risk is with chips. Do the mirrors too. Same with replacing the factory stone guards. These 3M ones suck and yellow within months.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the full frontal. They use Xpel and from what I've heard, it's a good PPF.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Do OptiCoat or CQuartz on top of the film and remaining painted areas.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:54 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

FULL clear bra ? ...uggh......like making out with one of those plastic anatomical " love dolls " that frats bring out at hazing time....

you might as well clear bra the entire interior too while at it , because that wears and fades more than the exterior in most cases !

don't forget the wheels and painted brake calipers , too
Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did full frontal, a pillars, roof strip and rear bumper Xpel Ultimate. Just don't spend money on waxing of car prior to fitment as they may use an alcohol based cleaner prior to fitment. This strips the wax off so money down the drain! It is definitely worth protecting your investment. Here in SA a full wrap costs $2000.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:03 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I would also add that make sure you get full panel wrapping in any case, and not a pre-cut template. You'll want all the edges wrapped.... Perhaps that is what you intended, but I didn't see anyone mention that.

Oh, and post pics before / after! Please!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:07 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plenum
I would also add that make sure you get full panel wrapping in any case, and not a pre-cut template. You'll want all the edges wrapped.... Perhaps that is what you intended, but I didn't see anyone mention that.

Oh, and post pics before / after! Please!
yea, these guys wrap the edges
Old 05-20-2015, 01:02 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Seems steep but it is one of the best shops. Do the film on the headlights too. I get my car back today after a full paint correction Gtechniq coating and Xpel Clearbra fully wrapped on bumper fenders, full hood, mirrors, door handle pockets, and replace the rear fender factory stone guard. Then coating over the film. 700 paint correction by a great top guy in Florida (low overhead vs the larger shop you are going to), and 1650 for the film. I have done half the car on a pile of my Audis over the years and there is no difference between areas of paint over time but even better lately with the long term coatings on the cars (22ple and Gtechniq). 3 years and my RS5 and R8 look great.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Having had my headlights wrapped (which subsequently delaminated), I would not recommend it. I have had Todd at esoteric paint correct and XPEL the front half of my car as well as doors. He indeed does phenomenal work. The headlights had been previously wrapped but the wrap was failing and esoteric removed it. They do NOT recommend applying protection film to the headlights and Porsche has stated to some dealers to not wrap the headlights. There is a protective coating on the lights that delaminates. I am fairly certain this is due to the fact that in order to get the film to fit the 3D shape of the housing, it needs to be heated and stretched. I think this places lateral tension on the coating over the housing that causes it to strip off.

I had to have insurance replace the headlights. Porsche would not cover it for me. I called my dealer as well as PCNA. No dice. Don't wrap your headlights.

Todd is good folk. Your car will never look as perfect as when it leaves their shop. I have a black car so it's very paint sensitive.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwspeeds
Having had my headlights wrapped (which subsequently delaminated), I would not recommend it. I have had Todd at esoteric paint correct and XPEL the front half of my car as well as doors. He indeed does phenomenal work. The headlights had been previously wrapped but the wrap was failing and esoteric removed it. They do NOT recommend applying protection film to the headlights and Porsche has stated to some dealers to not wrap the headlights. There is a protective coating on the lights that delaminates. I am fairly certain this is due to the fact that in order to get the film to fit the 3D shape of the housing, it needs to be heated and stretched. I think this places lateral tension on the coating over the housing that causes it to strip off.

I had to have insurance replace the headlights. Porsche would not cover it for me. I called my dealer as well as PCNA. No dice. Don't wrap your headlights.

Todd is good folk. Your car will never look as perfect as when it leaves their shop. I have a black car so it's very paint sensitive.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard and now seen this problem with wrapping the headlight. There was a black turbo S at the dealer that had its headlight wrapped and the delamination on the headlight is pretty awful. I should have taken a pick to show you guys.

Quick Reply: Full body clear bra (Esoteric Detail)