991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finalizing Build - 2S vs. 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 PM
mschuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My situation is similar, I decided on a 4S which locks soon. Owned a RWD GT3 previously. I think that the forward torque transfer in a drift will inspire confidence and increase safety in variable road conditions, with little to no loss of fun. Still wondering about PCCB, may go for it now that there is a Brembo iron rotor substitute available as a backup. Likely HRE and Akrapović also. Good luck with your choice!

Mike
Old 05-19-2015, 04:10 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The AWD will be apparent at the limit. Keep in mind, 'at the limit' on public roads will involve serious jail time if you're caught. Any other time 2WD will be more fun. $7-8k buys a lot of time improving your skills at a driving school, which will be much more in play than the extra 2 wheels when you get yourself into the trouble that will require either.

IMHO.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:26 PM
mschuster

+1 to your points. I recommend driving schools and arrive and drive open wheel race series also, excellent ways to learn, increase safety, and have fun. But don't forget even with all that sport driving risk remains.

Mike
Old 05-19-2015, 04:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not a daily driver, at least not for the next 5+ years. Slim chance it could be down the road.
Same situation as myself. Never see's the elements rain/snow, so AWD for me is a non issue. Perfectly happy with the rear drive.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

For me, the rain/snow advantage is just gravy, not the primary reason I would go with the 4S. It's more the performance aspect and steering feel. Surprisingly, in almost every review I've read or watched, the reviewers pick the 4S over the 2S, even in the dry, and the performance difference is noticeable in terms of lap times, etc. I recognize that lap times mean jack on the street, but the repeated comments about both better steering feel and more predictable slides by the reviewers got me thinking about it. My DD is an AWD RS5, which is a totally different beast of course, but you can definitely feel the advantage of the AWD in that car on the street without pushing it to the limit, per se.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

For me, the rain/snow advantage is just gravy, not the primary reason I would go with the 4S. It's more the performance aspect and steering feel. Surprisingly, in almost every review I've read or watched, the reviewers pick the 4S over the 2S, even in the dry, and the performance difference is noticeable in terms of lap times, etc. I recognize that lap times mean jack on the street, but the repeated comments about both better steering feel and more predictable slides by the reviewers got me thinking about it. My DD is an AWD RS5, which is a totally different beast of course, but you can definitely feel the advantage of the AWD in that car on the street without pushing it to the limit, per se.
It seems like you've already made up your mind! You won't regret the 4S I'm sure. Just whether it's worth 8K for you? Me personally, have never had any handling issues where I thought I'd need it on dry pavement. I'd rather drop the 8K on other options. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG991
It seems like you've already made up your mind! You won't regret the 4S I'm sure. Just whether it's worth 8K for you? Me personally, have never had any handling issues where I thought I'd need it on dry pavement. I'd rather drop the 8K on other options. Good luck!
I wish I had made up my mind.

Actually I'm leaning toward the C2S. Simpler, lighter, 1mpg better (oooooh) and maybe a little less maintenance and components to break. I do like the look of some of the 4S's though. There's a gorgeous sapphire blue '14 leftover for sale at a very steep discount nearby, but it's a PDK and I really want a manual in this car. I've been searching for manual 4S's and GTS's nationwide on Autotrader because I can't figure out how to do a national search on the Porsche site.

Honestly, I'm still a little pissed at the way Porsche is offering the GTS. I'd be buying one of those, save for the wheels and the requirement to go leather interior to get the better seats.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:54 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Honestly, I'm still a little pissed at the way Porsche is offering the GTS. I'd be buying one of those, save for the wheels and the requirement to go leather interior to get the better seats.
The 14-way seats and Premium Package are both cheaper on the GTS, so you're getting a discount on full leather at an additional 2,750. At that price it's a pretty good deal considering all the other items you get.

The only good 991 wheel is the GT3/GT3 RS wheel, so it's a bit of a wash either way. I would really only consider either Sports Seat option (4-way vs 18-way) unless you have a hard time getting in and out of the car. The 4-way Sports Seats Plus are very good.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by NateOZ
The 14-way seats and Premium Package are both cheaper on the GTS, so you're getting a discount on full leather at an additional 2,750. At that price it's a pretty good deal considering all the other items you get.

The only good 991 wheel is the GT3/GT3 RS wheel, so it's a bit of a wash either way. I would really only consider either Sports Seat option (4-way vs 18-way) unless you have a hard time getting in and out of the car. The 4-way Sports Seats Plus are very good.
Except I'd never order full leather. The gap in the two cars is about $12k similarly optioned, with wheels I don't like.

I've debated just going with the 4 way, but I've read a number of comments on here that they suck. Can't believe they didn't at least give them power front and back. A manual sliding seat on a $115k base price car?

Every time I consider the GTS, I think the 4S makes more economic sense. For less money I'd get everything I want, trading AWD for 30 HP and the front fascia.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Blake.Acheson
Track Day

Except I'd never order full leather. The gap in the two cars is about $12k similarly optioned, with wheels I don't like.

I've debated just going with the 4 way, but I've read a number of comments on here that they suck. Can't believe they didn't at least give them power front and back. A manual sliding seat on a $115k base price car?

Every time I consider the GTS, I think the 4S makes more economic sense. For less money I'd get everything I want, trading AWD for 30 HP and the front fascia.

I was in the same situation. I went with a 4s, all the sport options. The wider butt looks amazing imho.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:15 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would decide how you want to drive the car and then figure out which seats to get. The basic 4-ways and 14-ways are more comfort seats with less bolstering. The sports 4-ways and 18-ways will hold you in place a lot better if you want to use the car at the track or autocross etc.

Don't worry what's manual and electric, go with the seat that works best for your driving needs. It's a sports car so I would 100% go the 4-way sports over the 14-ways, if I didn't want to step up to the 18-ways.

The LWBs in the GT3 RS are manual fore and aft as well and it's $176k base

This shows you regular 4-ways, 14-ways, sports 4-ways, 18-ways:

Old 05-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,757 Likes on 692 Posts

My advice on the seats is to find a way to test drive cars with the seats you are considering. You are going to spend a lot of time in that seat so comfort needs to be a key factor.

It might seem counterintuitive but as a bigger guy I found the Sport Plus seat to be much more comfortable. The 18 way allows you to soften the bolsters and the design of the seat provides more room in the upper back/shoulder area. The lower seat on the 14 is comfortable but the upper portion hits right in between my shoulder blades and feels terrible to me. If I had gone with the 14 I would regret it every day in the car.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Honestly, that seals it for me. I like the 14 way seats in my Cayman S and getting in and out is already an issue for me. I have some serious issues with my left hip and knees from moto crashes and I really don't need it to be any harder to get in and out than my Cayman.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree with you completely about the 14s, Arch. Got em, love em. My previous two Porsche seats were Sports seats, meaning the big shoulder bolsters. My body doesn't like those bolsters and I'm glad to be rid of them.

Oh, and my last car was a $150k Turbo and it had manual fore-aft slider seats! Not a big deal, IMO, since once adjusted I never move anything but the seatback angle occasionally.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 PM
woodrow
Instructor

Default MY THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS

I TOO DRIVE THE NEW RS5 GREAT CAR JUST A LITTLE BORING TRADED IT IN FOR WHITE 2015 RWD GTS MANUAL ,COUPLE OF COOL OPTIONS PDCC W/PASM AEROKIT CUP 18 WAY SEATS AND A FEW OTHER GOODIES SUPPOSE TO ARRIVE IN 1 MONTH FEELING EXCITED

Quick Reply: Finalizing Build - 2S vs. 4S?