Sponsored by:

Sunroof vs Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:14 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof vs Cabriolet

I have nailed the exterior color and 90% of the interior. Now, I am debating between changing my order from a Cab to a coupe but with the glass sunroof. I need your help deciding this by May 20th when the order locks.

The Cab is starting to look a bit funny from the back and profile, while the top is open. Not sure if the extra $ is worth the price for admission.

I will be ordering a GT Silver and the black sunroof glass looks quite nice. I love the contrast. Does anyone have any pictures they can post of a coupe showing the sunroof. I would really appreciate it. How far back does it go when opened? Are you happy with the sunroof? Thank you so much guys for any suggestions to help me finalize my order.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:24 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google then search on "porsche 911 991 glass sunroof open" then click on images. Tons of pictures show up.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The sunroof opens more than in previous models. It looks best from inside where you can't see it opened- not so much from the outside where IMHO is is ugly.

RE sunroof (mine is metal)- i find it essential for the back popped up to alleviate the buffeting that occurs in all 991 coupes over about 65 mph with the windows down, and for pleasant ventilation and to better here the sport exhaust sounds.

I use it lots and am glad I have it. But the experience is in no way "open motoring" compared to a cabriolet. If thats what you want get a cab.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:11 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a glass sunroof and would pay for it to be removed. The additional light is nice, but the buffeting is horrible and the rattles are annoying.

I had the rattles addressed at the dealership, but I still do not open the sunroof. I do agree with the visual pleasure on a lighter color car.

I would say, if you want open air: get the cab. For me, a sunroof never gives you an open air feel.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Thank you guys for the help. I have checked online as you guys suggested. It is hard to get the full effect from seeing some low quality pictures online.

I really like the glass look of the sunroof, which makes the GTS really stand out. It shows the roof line the best when it flows from back to front of the car.

Is the sunroof considered panoramic. Is it bigger than a normal sunroof? I would really appreciate input from someone that wrestled with this same issue when ordering their car.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Rzani
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I also went back and forth while trying to make this decision. Like yourself, I really like the clean look of the coupe with a sunroof vs. the cab. But, for me, this is only when the roof is up. When the cab top is down I think it is gorgeous and only compliments the 911s lines.

In the end the main reason why I didn't go with the coupe was because the sunroof only opens about 3/4 of the way. I would go so far as to say the sunroof on a 911 opens less than just about every single other manufacturer out there. Plus, when it is open it's very unattractive from the outside. It offers little to no open air feel. If you want the open air feel then you have to go cab. I can't really comment on how much light it let it when closed because it's not the feature I was thinking about.

Have you thought about a Targa? That is where I ended up and even had an allocation for a Targa GTS before I decided to change course entirely and buy a TTS. With the Targa you get to keep the classic lines, but also get the open air. Kind of the best of both worlds. After test driving it I didn't feel that it buffeted more than the cab does, so that wasn't a problem at all for me. Maybe take another look?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 PM
STG
Race Director

I like the look of the body colored sunroof or no sunroof. The black glass looks odd with the black plastic trim pieces in front/behind it.

Doesn't look quite like a coupe with the dark glass.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 PM
STG
Race Director

My car with sunroof. Both are the same size.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

IMO, sunroof open on the 991 looks like you're driving home from Home Depot with a piece of plywood on the roof. Then again you don't see it from inside the car, so who really cares.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I would personally concern myself with the pleasure factor. The car looks dynamite whether it's a coupe or a cab. I'm a ragtop guy for the past 25 years and their is no substitute for me.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:22 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I came from a 996 and a 997 Targa, which really were just big sunroof cars. This time around, I thought about both a 991 sunroof coupe and cab. Ultimately, I decided that the sunroof just didn't let in enough air and I decided on the cab. But keep in mind, I'm in the northeast and my car (and I) hibernate in the winter. The 991 is my summer DD so I'm looking for as much air as possible.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:43 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

STG991 and everyone that has kindly posted pictures and suggestions...thank you!
I pretty much have until tomorrow to decide on a Coupe vs a Cabriolet. I am so confused at this point that it's a toss up.

I love the rooflines of the Coupe, but I also love the idea of being able to drop the top down and let the air and light penetrate the entire cabin. The sound of the engine bay with the top down is also intoxicating. I live in florida where the weather 8 months out of the year is nearly perfect to enjoy a cab.

I just think the sunroof does not open enough to let enough light and air to satisfy the itch. I am agonizing at this point trying to make up my own mind.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:15 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I've owned (5) Porsches.

Three have been coupes.
Two have been cabs (including the current one).

Coupes: Classic 911 lines, tend to be more collectible as they get older. MUCH stiffer chassis - important if you are serious about track and autocross. Sunroofs are well....meh.

Cabs: Cost more, a lot more. Loses 50% of the stiffness. Top down is a very open car, very enjoyable for early am and sunset drives. 991 Cab is more of a retractable hardtop with three locking magnesium panels instead of fabrics and liners.

Looks: Both have great lines. 991 is the best cab Porsche has every made.

Only you know if you are going to use the top-down feature. My car has the top down 80 % of the time its on the road. If you don't use it at least 50% of the time, get a coupe.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:36 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Cabs: Loses 50% of the stiffness.
Seems to be at least a 50% embellished!

Originally Posted by drcollie
If you don't use it at least 50% of the time, get a coupe.
Seems to be right on!

OP - if you've got cab weather 8 months a year, go for it. The only thing you're really giving up some exterior style (and even that's MUCH better than it used to be). But you spend just about all your time inside the car. Enjoy that experience to the max.

Quick Reply: Sunroof vs Cabriolet