Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof vs Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The 991 glass sunroof looks large from the outside, but from the inside it is no bigger than any other sunroof. If you want the air, get the convertible
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

The 991 cab is the first 911 cab that the lines (top up) look very close to the coupe. Even the glass back window is flush. It is a no brainier for me. When the top is up, it feels like a coupe, but top down, it is awesome! GL w your decision!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:58 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Glass top is great and like it's versatility. No rattles, issues and have always liked the lines more so on a coupe. T
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I like the look of the body colored sunroof or no sunroof. The black glass looks odd with the black plastic trim pieces in front/behind it.

Doesn't look quite like a coupe with the dark glass.
Those "prices" are polished aluminum not plastic.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:52 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts

Struggling between the beautiful lines of the coupe and the open top nature of the cabriolet. I have (or will have soon) just what the doctor ordered

Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Coupe. Lighter faster better simpler and superior lines. I'd get a boxster spider or even GTS long b4 a Carrera convertible. Even the grossly overweight targa for that matter.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:51 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on Targa, it really is the best of both worlds - if performance is what you seek look into a GT3/GT4, plenty of used GT3s popping up now.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:10 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My built got locked today! Per my salesperson it happened a day early. He explained that this happens when you change the order a few times (3X), they supposedly lock you out. Not sure if this is true or not.

Anyways, last night I decided to email him to tell him of my decision and changes, and thank God I sent the email. He changed the order first thing in the morning and the order locked.

I went with a GT Silver GTS Cab...
I thank everyone for helping with my predicament.

I just felt at the end that the Cab is still a very nice looking 991, not as much as the Coupe but life is not always perfect. I live in Florida, so I thought that the open top will be more useful for open motoring during the 8 months of beautiful weather we have in this state. I will be inside of the car more often than not, so who cares if the lines do not flow exactly like in the coupe.

The sunroof did not open enough for me to get excited about getting more air and light in the cabin with the coupe.

The Targa is a beautiful car, but my eyes kept looking at the "bubble" behind the rear seat. It just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

It's a done deal and hope that I made the right decision. No way of changing it now. Thanks again everyone. This forum and you guys are awesome!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats, you will love the cab! I loved my 997 cab but where I live now cab makes no sense so I got the glass roof 991.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,900 Likes on 1,366 Posts

In 10 minutes, I'm going out in the garage and starting up my car, and put the top down for the 27 minute commute on this wonderful Spring morning in northern Virginia. The weather is perfect out, and since the roads here are so crowded the lightness/stiffness/speed of a coupe won't matter as its unlikely I will get over 42 mph or make any corner at higher than .7 g's because of the legions of old Corollas and Civics clogging up the roads around here. So, I enjoy my car with the top down instead of speed, and work on my tan a little bit . Nearly as good as riding a motorcycle, and no helmet required.

Best accessory you can ever buy for your 991 Cab is a SmartTop Module. Pretty easy to install, it makes raising and lowering the windows and top so much more enjoyable.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the glass, especially with the GT Silver.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchezdds
My built got locked today! I went with a GT Silver GTS Cab...
Great choice! What interior and options??
Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice choice - it sounds like that is what you really wanted. You'll love it.

How did you configure it?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I wish more 911's were ordered with no sunroof. For one, I could actually fit my long torso in it much more comfortably (like I do in the GT3).

My issue with the all glass roof is the roofline looks jagged, it just doesn't line up right, and draws the eye to much.

However, for me; Coupe all the way, no question. I'm not a fan of verts at all, personally, but especially on a 911 with that gorgeously classic roofline. It's one of the most important parts, imo.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchezdds
My built got locked today! Per my salesperson it happened a day early. He explained that this happens when you change the order a few times (3X), they supposedly lock you out. Not sure if this is true or not.

Anyways, last night I decided to email him to tell him of my decision and changes, and thank God I sent the email. He changed the order first thing in the morning and the order locked.

I went with a GT Silver GTS Cab...
I thank everyone for helping with my predicament.

I just felt at the end that the Cab is still a very nice looking 991, not as much as the Coupe but life is not always perfect. I live in Florida, so I thought that the open top will be more useful for open motoring during the 8 months of beautiful weather we have in this state. I will be inside of the car more often than not, so who cares if the lines do not flow exactly like in the coupe.

The sunroof did not open enough for me to get excited about getting more air and light in the cabin with the coupe.

The Targa is a beautiful car, but my eyes kept looking at the "bubble" behind the rear seat. It just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

It's a done deal and hope that I made the right decision. No way of changing it now. Thanks again everyone. This forum and you guys are awesome!
good choice!

Quick Reply: Sunroof vs Cabriolet