Sponsored by:

2015 - 911 GTS - Tuning Options/Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Whenever anyone asks me about 'performance' mods for their cars or bikes, I always give the same advice.

Get the pretty ones.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone else I think the GTS spec are more then enough for most people. The only few things I would suggest: Sway Bars, Coilovers and lighter wheels. All in the handling department but I love the KW V3 on my car and lighter wheels which improved handling and cornering. Meanwhile enjoy the car in stock form
Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by advantyper
Like everyone else I think the GTS spec are more then enough for most people. The only few things I would suggest: Sway Bars, Coilovers and lighter wheels. All in the handling department but I love the KW V3 on my car and lighter wheels which improved handling and cornering. Meanwhile enjoy the car in stock form
after 5 laps at the RIng, I dont think the GTS needs stiffer sways, it could use
some softer suspension or at least a PASM re-program as SPORT PASM is way
too stiff to be of use... I wonder about Bilstein Damptronic coilovers, lower the
car some, and maybe reduce the spring weight...
Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the Fabspeed headers and the FVD center (valved-controlled) exhaust on my 991S - the sound was ridiculous. I ended up running the Sharkwerks side exhaust as well. Car was head-turning loud, but sounded glorious. Dumping the stock mufflers also reduced the weight a lot, and removed the heat form my rear tires. So there are secondary advantages as well.

I have all my mods on the shelf in the garage in case you wanna pick some up cheaply. I'm too lazy to list them in the for sale section and deal with inquiries.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I had the Fabspeed headers and the FVD center (valved-controlled) exhaust on my 991S - the sound was ridiculous. I ended up running the Sharkwerks side exhaust as well. Car was head-turning loud, but sounded glorious. Dumping the stock mufflers also reduced the weight a lot, and removed the heat form my rear tires. So there are secondary advantages as well.

I have all my mods on the shelf in the garage in case you wanna pick some up cheaply. I'm too lazy to list them in the for sale section and deal with inquiries.
getting rid of the side cans is a good idea ...

p.s
love the avatar! I guess there is a positive side to the ***** after all
Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
getting rid of the side cans is a good idea ...

p.s
love the avatar! I guess there is a positive side to the ***** after all
LOL! Thanks.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
LOL! Thanks.
I should have said a few positive points in their favor! s******
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Best performance mod for these cars is swapping tires to MPSC2s.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Best performance mod for these cars is swapping tires to MPSC2s.
+1 probably even just MPSS would improve things over PZeros
Old 05-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have spent MANY thousands on modifications on my 3 previous 911's. Never again. I wish I had my money back. Exhaust/chip/wheels/shocks etc etc. Never got a penny back. From now on stock all the way. Unless you track your car A LOT it's a waste.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bacura
I have spent MANY thousands on modifications on my 3 previous 911's. Never again. I wish I had my money back. Exhaust/chip/wheels/shocks etc etc. Never got a penny back. From now on stock all the way. Unless you track your car A LOT it's a waste.
even if you do anything you cannot take off with the contents of your home toolbox is severely subject to the law of diminishing returns... typically you
would be better to simply sell your current car and buy a faster/better one
than heavily modify it... ymmv

I learned that lesson the hard way on my 993 C2S, dropped over $40k into it to turn it into a 3.8L RS, sold it for KBB ... the car itself was amazing, but I could have sold it and bought a 993TT instead...

now I limit myself to lighter wheels, better rubber, maybe some minor suspension tweaks and a bypass to sound better... all removable, and I keep
all the stock parts so that when/if I come to sell the car I can easily return it
to stock and attempt to resell the other parts separately, which seems to work
Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have a lot of track/racing experience, spend the $$ on a driver's school and instruction. It takes a very capable experienced driver to get close to using what you have now can do on track. Most won't ever be able to lap at a decent fraction of what a GTS is capable of; mods, assuming they actually are effective, will just mean you are using even a smaller fraction of the car's capability.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:48 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have some empathy with the OP. Modding cars is fun! For me anyway, it's never been about track times. I've done, and continue to do, advanced training and know that driving ability will, with any Porsche ever, be my limiting factor.

But. Having a bit of extra hp/noise/tq, wherever you are, is nice. The sensation of driving the car every day is improved. I spent about £4k altering my 987.2 Boxster S, and it was transformed. I didn't get that money back when the car was passed on, but it was worth it for how much I enjoyed it when I had it.

I, like the OP, have a new GTS, and will probably do things to it at some point, but it does feel much less like it 'needs' it than the old BS. Throttle response is better, top end ridiculous. The things I would do would be a remap (this was the thing that made most difference before - kind of like bumping the modes up one. Comfort became like Sport, Sport like Sport Plus, Sport Plus like something from the depths of hell) and, maybe, an Akrapovic exhaust. Akra are the world leaders in bike exhausts - not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and on a car like the GTS I wouldn't want anything less. They also provide dyno evidence, which suggests only a small top-end bump, but something quite substantial in the midrange, which would be good for everyday driving.

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/car/prod...12&yearId=3866

My only concern about it would be the noise. I do like the stock sound of the GTS, and Mrs Rat definitely prefers it to what went before.

And re the point that with the money one could have just bought a better car, yes of course, but the next car up from a GTS is a Turbo, which one might not want for various reasons, or a GT3, which might not be practical and which one can't get anyway. I'd rather, for the same money, have a totally maxed out GTS, than either of those and maybe the OP would too.

But I would suggest he wait until his engine is properly broken in (as in, like, 6,000 miles) and then see what he thinks it needs. Maybe we'll talk again nearer the time
Old 05-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANY OF THAT CRAP...
Very well said, nothing more to add.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Do not waste your money on aftermarket exhaust.

I did spend a lot $$$ for exhausts on my C4S and now my car is backed to stock PSE. The fabspeed sport exhaust and shark werks side deleted are too loud for DD..trust me. They can save a lot of weight but I'm not sure they can make more horsepower, their sound makes you feel like the car can push harder. I have both exhausts for sale if anyone interested to get loud..lol

IPD plenum is not compatible with GTS (IPD won't fit the power kit)

Just stick with stock parts and get some nice wheels and spring for stance looks.

Quick Reply: 2015 - 911 GTS - Tuning Options/Ideas??