991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 991 GTS - First ever Porsche, the 'Dreaded Friday car' UK

Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In UK you get 28 days to return any unsatisfactory goods, no questions asked.
After that time the dealership has 3 attempts to put whatever right. If satisfaction is then not agreed on the goods can be returned as unfit for purpose and a sensible figure should be repaid. This is the UK consumer law.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:40 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Gotta love Porsche.
These cars are now simply mass produced and over priced, with atrocious quality control.
Cheap plastic parts and no attention to detail.

Truly pathetic..

Let them deal with it before they make you own it.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was so relieved when my 2015 Carrera S was completed the week before Oktoberfest started
No problems so far at 6,700 miles.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:03 AM
h2009
4th Gear

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
In UK you get 28 days to return any unsatisfactory goods, no questions asked.
After that time the dealership has 3 attempts to put whatever right. If satisfaction is then not agreed on the goods can be returned as unfit for purpose and a sensible figure should be repaid. This is the UK consumer law.
Just spoken with Consumer Advice on this and they say that the 28 return policy doesn't apply to vehicles?

Its a real shame its having to go down this route, why can't Porsche just make a decent car with the QC that the Japans brands have.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I was so relieved when my 2015 Carrera S was completed the week before Oktoberfest started
No problems so far at 6,700 miles.
Mine's being built in May/June. Crossing my fingers the workers aren't daydreaming about their upcoming summer vacation.

On the general point of quality, we all know every single car manufacturer on the planet puts out some lemons. You can't draw any conclusions at all about a brand based on one or a handful of anecdotal experiences.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:10 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My GTS was delayed because (according to salesman) it 'failed its final inspection'. His boss then told me rather hurriedly that it had been 'randomly selected for extra quality control'! Semantics, eh? Picking it up early next week and will report. Good luck getting your issues resolved. Sounds like you're doing the right things.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Originally Posted by duxsi
Gotta love Porsche.
These cars are now simply mass produced and over priced, with atrocious quality control.

Truly pathetic..

What a load of ****e you spewed....sorry are you a troll??? Have you first and experience?

My new GTS is an absolute quality car as are all the Porsches I have seen since 2012. I have not heard of any issues in SA. As for Japanese...I will never buy a Toyota again after the last 2 I owned were full of faults.

Give me German any day!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Dcrna1
Advanced

Go back and look at his posts..................most all of them are derogatory toward the Porsche brand.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Gotta love Porsche.

Truly pathetic..

Let me take a wild guess here,....Corvette or GTR fan boy?

I've owned 4 new Porsches in the last 10 years,.....most reliable and fun to drive brand I have ever owned bar none.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by h2009
Just spoken with Consumer Advice on this and they say that the 28 return policy doesn't apply to vehicles?

Its a real shame its having to go down this route, why can't Porsche just make a decent car with the QC that the Japans brands have.
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

What brand of car did you own before you bought the Porsche? I've owned several cars over the years with some being Japanese. One I had to return as a lemon (Honda) due to so many problems it was un-drivable,.....and yet I don't feel the need to bash all Japanese autos or even Honda as I owned another that was perfectly fine. You can't make a blanket statement for a brand after only owning one,....your issue is with one car, the vast majority of Porsche owners are perfectly happy with great QC. You can find some horror stories with any brand,....including every Japanese model out there. My GTS is rock solid so far with absolutely no issues.

Did you order Sport PASM?....if so the car rides lower and I would believe someone at the dock or dealer drove your car and scraped the underside of the bumper. They should fix it regardless, but now with the clear bra on, mute point.

The other issues the dealer and Porsche should surely address better,......but having said that a 911 will never be "Lexus" quiet. It's a stiffly sprung, weight saving sports car. Sound insulation is minimal and you will definitely hear more of everything inside. If you're not ready for it, you may be surprised. Don't even try a Ferarri, Lambo or some others. They are not nearly as quiet as the Porsche.

Good luck with the outcome.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hear of your troubles, seems like Porsche needs to double check their quality control processes.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:40 AM
h2009
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

What brand of car did you own before you bought the Porsche? I've owned several cars over the years with some being Japanese. One I had to return as a lemon (Honda) due to so many problems it was un-drivable,.....and yet I don't feel the need to bash all Japanese autos or even Honda as I owned another that was perfectly fine. You can't make a blanket statement for a brand after only owning one,....your issue is with one car, the vast majority of Porsche owners are perfectly happy with great QC. You can find some horror stories with any brand,....including every Japanese model out there. My GTS is rock solid so far with absolutely no issues.

Did you order Sport PASM?....if so the car rides lower and I would believe someone at the dock or dealer drove your car and scraped the underside of the bumper. They should fix it regardless, but now with the clear bra on, mute point.

The other issues the dealer and Porsche should surely address better,......but having said that a 911 will never be "Lexus" quiet. It's a stiffly sprung, weight saving sports car. Sound insulation is minimal and you will definitely hear more of everything inside. If you're not ready for it, you may be surprised. Don't even try a Ferarri, Lambo or some others. They are not nearly as quiet as the Porsche.

Good luck with the outcome.
I've had 1 Japanese car - Honda
But mainly (and still have them) Mercedes, BMW, Rangerover.

On the whole, all the 991's cars I've driven there has been some kind of issue. Also in this time whilst my car has been in, I've had a cayman and panamera which have been 100% fine.
I've owned enough cars to know not everything will be perfect, but it should be atleast 99% there.

Update - 06.05.15
I went to the dealership to retest the car, but due to the strong headwinds it would have been unfair to the test for the wind noise issue. However, me and the tech did use the ACC and it was behaving badly.
If you read the manual the ACC part states - basically never use it! Which is utterly pointless and a 'get out of jail card' for Porsche.

My car was detecting cars which weren't in front whilst driving down the motorway (admittedly it was happening more as the motor veered to the right of the road).
Also at one point (as mentioned in my first post) the car just 'raced' towards a stationary car infront on some traffic lights. The car did give the warning about about braking at the last second but of course I had to apply the brakes to stop it.

So another trip up to the dealership to confirm the car isn't how it should be.

----

IF anyone here has ACC could you let me know how you find it and have you driven any other brands with it?
All my other cars have it and every hire car on holiday has had it as well so I'm 'well experienced in expected behaviour'.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:30 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

I absolutely hate ACC and specifically didn't order on my 911. My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee has it. It works perfectly, exactly as intended. That's the problem.

Normal drivers do this, whether using cruise control or not: come up behind a car in the right lane that's travelling 5mph slower than you, get to within a comfortable distance (whatever your personal meter is on that), and then switch to the left lane to go around.

But with ACC, I'm driving along approaching the car in front, and ACC sees them well out ahead and imperceptibly cuts throttle a little. Before I realize what's happening I'm travelling at that car's slower pace, but I don't necessarily realize it. Maybe I'm talking to the passenger, listening to the radio, whatever. Eventually I get this nagging "you're going too slow" feeling and realize what's happened. But it might be a few miles down the road.

The other fail of ACC is this (might be a bit more controversial, but hear me out.) I'm cruising along at a good clip in the left lane. Mr. Duh Mass is parked in the left lane (that's "right lane" for you Brits, Aussies and Singaporians) going 65. Normally, I close the gap to an "uncomfortable" distance then back off the gas to match his pace. I don't mean riding his *** one car length back, but I mean the sort of distance that makes it clear I'd like to be going faster and only his porcine posterior is keeping me from doing so. This is a nice way of awakening the person from his personal reverie and allowing him/her to get over as soon as it's safe to do so.

But with the ACC engaged, the computer keeps me so far back, even set to the closest following distance, that this message can never be telegraphed to the rolling chicane up ahead of me. It looks to them like I'm contentedly sitting 200 feet behind them, perfectly matching their well-chosen and socially responsible pace. Not really the message I'm wanting to send.

So I always just use CC on that car now, not ACC.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duxsi is not a troll... He has had some major issues with his 991 and with the support received.... And has unsuccessfully tried very hard to get answers on some common issues which have affected many of us (via the other forum). I appreciate the tone is very negative and I fear this is the culmination of over a year of troubles... We can't all be nick and channel that energy into positivity. I sincerely hope porsche get to the root of his troubles and help him love the brand again...

To the op... I'd be intrigued to know which dealer if you care to PM me as I am also UK based and very near one of the major dealers.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regrettable. I went through similar ordeals with Honda and again with Renault/Nissan. I think four things are going on here--the "perfect storm":
1) High expectations from the buyer of an expensive car (partly your fault)
2) Weak pre-delivery prep by Porsche and the dealer (not your fault)
3) Typical (unfortunately) post-delivery service (not your fault)
4) Manufacturer hubris (JD Power's fault)

My comments:
-Denim will stain light colored leather, alcantara much more so
-Are you playing the sound system louder than it is capable of playing cleanly?
-Coupes without window frames will produce wind noise
-3rd party plastic wrapping will void your paint warranty--surely you signed a waiver to this effect at the wrap shop?
-Repainting (parts of) a new car will not benefit you further down the road. A future PPI will spot this and report it to the prospective buyer.
-Unless you enjoy litigating more than driving... sell the car back to Porsche and try again. Maybe a Bentley GT would be a better fit? FYI: My local P-dealer always has several 997/991 on his used car lot with less than 5,000 miles on the odometer. You are not alone.
-If you are okay with litigation begin by stating in painfully clear terms what is wrong with the car and what you want done about it. An attorney will help you with this for a couple hundred quid. The attorney will help you decide who to sue and who to send this letter to.

I know this is not the experience that you envisioned when you purchased a brand new GTS. Get out of it and get into the right car and drive it like Louis Hamilton would.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 991 GTS - First ever Porsche, the 'Dreaded Friday car' UK