Sponsored by:

Ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Ducktail

If you have a base Carrera and wanted the Ducktail and obtained one, do you also have to run a different front bumper or chin spoiler for aerodynamics?

thanks in advance...
Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't believe so.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

That's been asked and I don't know if there's a definitive answer. Porsche won't let you order a car with just a ducktail without the accompanying different nose piece. BUT... they sell all GTS's with the nose piece but NO ducktail (unless you so spec.)

So whatever changes the nose alone makes to the aerodynamics don't seem to matter to them. It's possible that the duck alone makes a bigger difference that is detrimental at some ungodly speed and requires the changes to the chin to keep things balanced. I don't know enough to even comment on that.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Street driving, no. All show.

Track car, yes. All go.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
If you have a base Carrera and wanted the Ducktail and obtained one, do you also have to run a different front bumper or chin spoiler for aerodynamics? thanks in advance...
Porsche recommends that you add the sport design front bumper with a ducktail. Keeping the standard bumper is not advised because of the unbalanced aerodynamics and front end drifting.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Porsche recommends that you add the sport design front bumper with a ducktail. Keeping the standard bumper is not advised because of the unbalanced aerodynamics and front end drifting.
+1
Old 04-28-2015, 02:39 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, remember you need to change the sunroof module if you have one.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:07 AM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Wicked Motor Works, their guys seem to know what they're talking about (my impression at least)...I'm considering the techart kit for my C4S. We'll see how it turns out though. Personally I'm not concerned with aerodynamic "change" though I doubt there will be any, if much, if I go with the techart
kit. But I'm only going that way because I like the way the kit looks.

From my experience with different cars I've gone through, it's really hard to really "disturb" the aerodynamics if you're going with parts designed for the car. In your case, unless you're tracking it and want down to the nail optimal aerodynamics you're most likely fine.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by AfroThunder
Check out Wicked Motor Works, their guys seem to know what they're talking about (my impression at least)...I'm considering the techart kit for my C4S. We'll see how it turns out though. Personally I'm not concerned with aerodynamic "change" though I doubt there will be any, if much, if I go with the techart kit. But I'm only going that way because I like the way the kit looks. From my experience with different cars I've gone through, it's really hard to really "disturb" the aerodynamics if you're going with parts designed for the car. In your case, unless you're tracking it and want down to the nail optimal aerodynamics you're most likely fine. Good luck
Stay away from Wicked Motor Works!

Rip off artists. Read up on it with any Google search.

Plus here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tor-works.html
Old 07-05-2015, 10:34 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Honestly its not going to matter if you do the ducktail and don't put on the front bumper at anything less than 150 mph. Worst case scenario just add on the sport rubber front lip to the car (goes on the non sport classic bumper) and that should balance it out enough.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

You need a sport design bumper to match the duck tail.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

suncoast has the OEM ducktail on sale around $1999
Old 07-05-2015, 06:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
suncoast has the OEM ducktail on sale around $1999
Just remember that comes unpainted. So need to budget in at least a couple hundred more to that listed price.

Also, anyone looking to get the OEM ducktail should check with Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Generally better pricing than Suncoast and about 10 million times better with inventory availability and about 20 million times better in terms of customer service.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 PM
pcosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just remember that comes unpainted. So need to budget in at least a couple hundred more to that listed price.

Also, anyone looking to get the OEM ducktail should check with Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Generally better pricing than Suncoast and about 10 million times better with inventory availability and about 20 million times better in terms of customer service.
They sure could do a better job with their website!!! You really need to know all of the details, including part numbers before you can order anything.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Default Ducktail

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Shop around. I always check Sunset, Suncoast, and my local dealer. Lately it's been between my local dealer and Sunset with the better pricing. Hard to believe the dealer has beaten both on occasion. Even with sales tax and free shipping (to dealer) figured in.

Customer service has always been great with Suncoast, Sunset is always busy and understaffed (but good when you get them). Local dealer is good when stopping in person and talking to a known contact.

Nobody stocks many (if any) parts. They all source from the same regional Porsche factory parts warehouses.

Quick Reply: Ducktail