Lava GTS on Order!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:20 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lava GTS on Order!

Hi guys,

I've been pretty active here of late, and I can now say that my car was ordered today with a June 20th completion date! Love it or hate it, I wanted to build the lightest GTS that I could, leaving out the stuff that I thought made the car lean more towards the Carrera S than the GT3. The ability to comfortably street the car kept me from the all or nothingness of the GT3, but I think this build is the right compromise for me.

I love the Lava color since I wanted something different. I chose the yellow seatbelts to match the calipers on the PCCB, and decided on the aluminum trim and white face gauges (these used to be standard on the 997 Carrera S) along with aluminum footrest and pedals to create a sense of sportiness and purpose to the interior.

I deleted the sunroof for weight and because I never use mine in the other cars. I also opted for the 4 way sport seats because of the weight savings over the 18 ways. I love the ducktail and have read it saves as much as 20lbs over the stock mechanism. The manual was a must-have for me, as was the 5 lug wheels which I feel much more comfortable being able to swap tires by myself and without having to second guess the job. I also chose the non-blacked out headlights and wheels because I like the contrast they provide.

Anyway, here it is. I got 4% off and a few goodies from the parts department thrown in that will make the car a little more unique to me.

2016 911 Carrera GTS
Lava Orange
Leather Interior in Black with Alcantara® incl. GTS Interior
PASM Sport Suspension
Automatically Dimming Mirrors
Seat Heating (Front)
Wheels Painted in Silver i.c.w. Carrera S Wheels
20" Carrera S Wheels
Rear Wiper
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
Deletion of Model Designation
Fire Extinguisher
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Smoking Package
LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS)
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
Deletion of GTS Model Designation on Side Doors
BOSE® Audio Package
SportDesign Package
Instrument Dials in White
Center Console Trim in Leather
Seat Belts in Racing Yellow
Pedals and Footrest in Aluminum
Brushed Aluminum Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
Sport Chrono Clock Dial in White

Thanks for everyone's input!

Cheers,
-Mike

Last edited by ibmiked; 04-25-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Nice build. Love the PCCBs.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:41 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice build. Lava Orange on a sunroof delete will be awesome. Why did you pick parking sensors and PDLS if weight was a concern?
Old 04-25-2015, 02:42 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I like it! I wish the GT4 were available in Lava orange. If it were, I'd be getting the little brother to your car with the yellow belts and PCCB's.

I can't wait to see pictures of your car when it arrives. I'm jealous of those of you who can still order June builds. I got my order in 2 months ago and yours will still be here a month or more before mine!

On a lightweight build, did you consider dropping the Bose? I'm not sure how much it weighs. It doesn't sound all that good if you've listened to it. Maybe for that weight consider the Burmester which actually does sound decent?

Good call on the white sport chrono dial! I wish I had done that on my PGTS.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:03 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I am putting one together that will probably be built in the same round. I was told initially it would be a '15 but now '16. Curious if anyone knows how much extra weight the 18 way seats are?
Jim
Old 04-25-2015, 03:25 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
Nice build. Lava Orange on a sunroof delete will be awesome. Why did you pick parking sensors and PDLS if weight was a concern?
I wanted the rear camera at all costs. With a dog that likes to sleep in our driveway and run behind the car when pulling out, I can't afford to have an accident. The advantages of the PDLS lighting and the difficulty I had finding the exact weight penalty made them seem plausible to me.

I am putting one together that will probably be built in the same round. I was told initially it would be a '15 but now '16. Curious if anyone knows how much extra weight the 18 way seats are?
Depending on who you believe, the 18 way sport seats weigh anything from 20lbs to 30lbs more EACH than the 4 way seats.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM
ibmiked
Pro

On a lightweight build, did you consider dropping the Bose? I'm not sure how much it weighs. It doesn't sound all that good if you've listened to it. Maybe for that weight consider the Burmester which actually does sound decent?
The BOSE weighs about 5.4lbs more than the stock system. Truthfully, I would have definitely left it off but on the test drive with the windows down I could hardly hear the factory stereo. I didn't get the BOSE because I'm an audiophile, but because it offered better volume. The Burmeister weighs over 11lbs more than stock and costs $3k more. At speed, with the windows down (which is how I listen to music if at all) I didn't think the money or weight was worthwhile. This is not to say it isn't a good system, just that I'm not the person to appreciate it best.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Rear wiper???
Seriously???
Old 04-25-2015, 04:43 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911
Rear wiper???
Seriously???
I know, I know.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:48 PM
ibmiked
Pro

In my defense, I'm deleting the rear seats and belts and putting in the GT3 rear carpet kit to cut another 22lbs. This was available on the european GTS and I feel that gives me a free pass on the US model. I tried to save weight everywhere and then allowed myself a few personal vanities that I shamelessly justified. For some reason the rear wiper (2.8lbs) calls out to me, just like the fire extinguisher. The BOSE and PDLS Plus were quality of life choices to improve the driving experience.

As a side note, I may have a deep rooted love of the rear wiper from the early short-wheelbase 911s I have owned. The rear wiper is a SUPER rare option that always excites when a car has it so in my case it may just be 'old programming'.

Last edited by ibmiked; 04-25-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:34 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

love the lava w/ ducktail. was thinking of switching from GT Silver to Lava w the black wheels myself, but gotta have that ducktail! this is the first i've heard of a MY16 GTS allocation. i'm asking everyone.. did you dealer actually get the allocation or just guarantee you one? thanks in advance and congrats.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Nope, I got the allocation and confirmation via receipt. They told me another dealer was happy to give it up in exchange for an allocation with a later close date. I guess if you don't have a buyer lined up by the close date you need to pick the spec yourself. Must be better to have an open allocation in your back pocket than a car being built to sit on the lot.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:51 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey IB

congrats!

sounds like it will be an awesome and unique car.

i'm considering a 911 4S in lava / agate full leather / no sunroof. I'm in no hurry, so I'm waiting to see better pics of lava 911s.

i'm sure this has been addressed in prior posts, but the current color selection is really not that good and would love to see Porsche add better silvers, blues and greys and also bring back colors from the 70s.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:57 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
I know, I know.
I've had the rear wiper on 3 cars now, and on a DD I think it is very useful, on some days even essential. I will definitely get that on my next DD Porsche.

Looks like a well thought out build! Should be an amazing car.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
For some reason the rear wiper (2.8lbs) calls out to me, just like the fire extinguisher.
Yeah. Well its not just the weight you're adding. Its adding something that one application of Rain-X renders superfluous for life. Its adding something that if used will scratch up glass that otherwise would look new forever. Its adding something that interrupts the sublime lines of the most beautiful 911. Something that every time you look in the mirror blocks a little of your view. The last time anyone asked about ordering the rear wiper, the quintessential reply was not merely no but, good God man NO!

If you were another one of these clueless newbs I couldn't care less but you seem like such a nice well-intentioned Porsche person I can't just walk away. Good God man please! You can always yank the extinguisher later but the wiper is for life!

Quick Reply: Lava GTS on Order!