Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab GTS order in Lava orange, Carmine or White?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
I was told that you cannot take a cabriolet out on most tracks - is that correct?
Depends on the track, the event host, and the nature of the cars safety features ... in many cases you can ...

Originally Posted by Bacura
I love the Lava Orange. I wish that it would have been an option for my 50th. Mexico blue is still my favorite.
me too!

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Another vote for Lava Orange......

(Although if it was me, I would get sapphire blue - man, I love that color!)
+1
Old 04-24-2015, 04:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
I was told that you cannot take a cabriolet out on most tracks - is that correct?
Tons of us have tracked Boxsters over the years. Brey Krause makes a roll-bar extension that gets the protection high enough for helmet clearance, but can be removed on non-track days and doesn't mar the factory finish. I don't know if they have an innovative option for 911 Cabs also -- probably tougher since they don't have a fixed roll hoop like the Boxsters. But you could check.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:20 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Tons of us have tracked Boxsters over the years. Brey Krause makes a roll-bar extension that gets the protection high enough for helmet clearance, but can be removed on non-track days and doesn't mar the factory finish. I don't know if they have an innovative option for 911 Cabs also -- probably tougher since they don't have a fixed roll hoop like the Boxsters. But you could check.
I was told by the dealer that they all come with "roll-bars" that come out in case of a roll over. Not sure if this qualifies as true roll-bar for a track. Probably not?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by sanchezdds
I was told by the dealer that they all come with "roll-bars" that come out in case of a roll over. Not sure if this qualifies as true roll-bar for a track. Probably not?
As Larry mentioned, it's totally a function of track rules PLUS rules of the organization you are tracking with (i.e. who's sponsoring the day? PCA? Miata Club? BMWCCA? etc.) I don't think anyone, though, that requires rollbars would accept the auto-deployment type. One reason is that the inspector has to measure the clearance above your helmet to make sure the bar is high enough to keep your head protected in the event of a rollover. They can't possibly do this unless the bar is deployed, which I don't think you can do at will in a Porsche like you could on the MB 500SL. (Sorry, never owned a 911 Cab, so I'm not sure about where the bar is or how it works.)
Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I wonder if it (RS) will still be there in 3 wks time when I'm in Stuttgart?

it does look a little unpleasantly "salmony" in the pictures...
Hey Larry, I also saw the ultraviolet in the factory parked - now that is a great colour! I am sure you will see them if you do the factory tour. They are on the production line daily it seems. Sven Theis at Porsche Exclusive can also show you the sample - ask Jaime Dhillon to arrange a visit with him. Lava Orange would not be my choice

All the best for your trip next month!

Henry

Last edited by JUPJAI; 04-26-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:05 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yet another white 991? lol most common and trendy 991 color it seems..
i vote carmine or lava. maybe lava if you're looking for a little flash, carmine if you're looking for understated flash.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:56 AM
thomnellie
Racer

If you're worried about resale, stick with white, black, or gray. My dealer says that other colors are tough to move off the lot. They are generally the most popular colors across the automotive spectrum.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:59 AM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Originally Posted by thomnellie
If you're worried about resale, stick with white, black, or gray. My dealer says that other colors are tough to move off the lot. They are generally the most popular colors across the automotive spectrum.
I do not care about resale value. I want to buy a car for me to enjoy, and not thinking of the next owner. I just want to make the right choice, so I can own this car long term. I know is a personal choice, but I am honestly confused.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:03 PM
thomnellie
Racer

I have been torn picking the color on my next GTS. I went to the dealership today, and realized its not an easy decision to make. I know its a personal preference, but any suggestions that could help me with the decision.

I might track the car once or twice a year. Do you think its better to get the CL wheels or the usual 5 lug wheel?
Don't know how you feel about Guards Red, but I think it looks stunning on a cab/targa when seen in person, especially with the top up and black wheels. Plus, you don't pay extra!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
Don't know how you feel about Guards Red, but I think it looks stunning on a cab/targa when seen in person, especially with the top up and black wheels. Plus, you don't pay extra!
IMO, there is too much orange in Guards Red. You don't notice how much orange it has in it until you get Guards Red next to a "true" red.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:57 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Default Thank you guys!

I am actually really liking Carmine Red. I have not been a fan of red cars, but Carmine is the way a red should look like. The more I look at it the more I am starting to like it, especially with the dark accents of the GTS. I have hears too many negatives on the Lava Orange, so I might be switching the color.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:21 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

I am actually really liking Carmine Red. I have not been a fan of red cars, but Carmine is the way a red should look like. The more I look at it the more I am starting to like it, especially with the dark accents of the GTS. I have hears too many negatives on the Lava Orange, so I might be switching the color.
After seeing the Carmine Red GTS Targa at the car show, I wouldn't think of any other color!
Old 04-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
Hey Larry, I also saw the ultraviolet in the factory parked - that was a great colour! I am sure you will see them if you do the factory tour. They are on the production line daily it seems. Sven Theis at Porsche Exclusive can also show you the sample - ask Jaime Dhillon to arrange a visit with him. Lava Orange would not be my choice

All the best for your trip next month!

Henry
Cheers!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

it's California...the goal is to turn as many necks as possible 180 degrees. Lava Orange, black top, black leather interior, Pt or Black wheels,Black or CF exhaust tips.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:54 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

I do not care about resale value. I want to buy a car for me to enjoy, and not thinking of the next owner. I just want to make the right choice, so I can own this car long term. I know is a personal choice, but I am honestly confused.
LOL, weird that you quoted me before making this statement, since

a) I am the last person on earth who has ever bought a car thinking about resale, and
b) I merely informed someone who asked about tracking a cab that Brey Krause might have a solution for them if they wish to search.

And for the record, I totally think you should get either Lava or Carmine, and I would be delighted with either if I wanted a bright 911. I'd also be delighted with Guards. Yes it has orange in it, but then you're considering Lava. I do think that in a car-crazy place like coastal California Guards might not stand out as much as either of the other two simply because it's been The Porsche Red for 40 years. (And before Eduardo points out that actually, over the past 40 years there have been no fewer than 11 standard Porsche reds, and Guards was in fact introduced 43 years ago, not forty, let me clarify that I was waxing somewhat hyperbolic there. )

Quick Reply: Cab GTS order in Lava orange, Carmine or White?