Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Porsche Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also change a PSE to a switchable aftermarket and wire the switch to the PSE button. Did this on a Boxster but will leave PSE on the CGTS. Sound is just too good!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:24 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Are you sure the drone is caused by the PSE and not the sound symposer? When I drive my car in normal mode (which I rarely do), and turn on PSE. I do not notice any drone, or very little. However, if I put the car in Sport mode, I do hear some drone when cruising at low rpms, around 2,000. I am pretty sure the sound symposer only is active in Sport or Sport Plus mode, therefore I attribute the drone I hear more to the sound symposer then PSE.
Right, Symposer drone is horrific.
Fortunately, my Symposer is long since disabled.
Tube removed and ports capped at cabin and at diaphram.

Yes, PSE drones (admittedly not that badly) at low RPM, with valves open.
I just prefer valves closed until the revs go up.
To me that is perfect.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:10 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
...It produces an annoying drone and I stuffed a microfiber rag in it.
Originally Posted by Marv800
I tried to do the same thing with my girlfriend to stop her annoying droning, but she fought me on it
Careful Marv -- don't forget about the side effects of having your girl on the rag.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Mosbrn78108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To everyone,

THANK YOU!! Looks like my next add-on is the PSE.

Mike
Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 PM
heartsurgeon2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2015 C4S - the sports exhaust is intoxicating in this car. if your able to afford it, I highly recommend it.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM
991RMX
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts

I am also trying to upgrade to the PSE, but the Greenville, SC and Atlanta, GA dealers are quoting $4800 - $5200 for a 2014 991 base. Based on what I've read, this is very high. If anyone knows of a better deal (without compromising quality of work or damaging my car) for the PSE, please share.

Thanks!!

Last edited by 991RMX; 05-18-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 991RMX
I am also trying to upgrade to the PSE, but the Greenville, SC and Atlanta, GA dealers are quoting $4800 - $5200 for a 2014 991 base. Based on what I've read, this is very high. If anyone knows of a better deal (without compromising quality of work or damaging my car) for the PSE, please share.

Thanks!!

$2,795 plus install. Not more than a couple hours.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html?Category_Code=991BASEENGINEEX2
Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM
991RMX
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
$2,795 plus install. Not more than a couple hours.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...1BASEENGINEEX2
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. I just need to find a reasonable quote for a quality install.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 991RMX
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. I just need to find a reasonable quote for a quality install.

The Suncoast package comes complete. On sale now too. Even the new button switch console!

Call Ryan over there and he'll get you set up. I'd order it, then call different dealers for quotes installing. With programming and everything, I assume not more than a 3 hour job on the base 991. The base gets all three mufflers replaced. The S without PSE, only gets the center muffler. Both get new exhaust tips and a new center button console with the PSE button added. They order it by your VIN so the rest of the options match!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
Right, Symposer drone is horrific.
Fortunately, my Symposer is long since disabled.
Tube removed and ports capped at cabin and at diaphram.

Yes, PSE drones (admittedly not that badly) at low RPM, with valves open.
I just prefer valves closed until the revs go up.
To me that is perfect.
I don't know whether there's something wrong with me or with my PSE, or whether I'm crying "the Emperor has no clothes," but I'm not a huge fan of PSE on this car (and I've had it and loved it on other 911s). Around town, it's great. GREAT. But at steady highway speeds, the drone is unbearable and I always turn PSE off. Maybe it's the symposer? Has anyone posted a DIY to disable or muffle the symposer? Admittedly, I don't even know where to find it.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I don't know whether there's something wrong with me or with my PSE, or whether I'm crying "the Emperor has no clothes," but I'm not a huge fan of PSE on this car (and I've had it and loved it on other 911s). Around town, it's great. GREAT. But at steady highway speeds, the drone is unbearable and I always turn PSE off. Maybe it's the symposer? Has anyone posted a DIY to disable or muffle the symposer? Admittedly, I don't even know where to find it.
I still don't get it -- not trying to pick a fight at all. I'm just truly confused about this question.

PSE is designed to be switchable, specifically so you can switch off the "LOUD" button at any time that it isn't pleasant for you. So in your case, why not use it "around town" where it's "great," and then switch it off on the highway when it's "unbearable?" That's exactly what it's for. I don't see why you would want to effect some other permanent solution that "disables" any part of the system, since that will undoubtedly have an effect of some sort on the sound around town where you love it. And then you won't have a button to get that sound back. And who knows if you'll even like the sound on the highway?

If I'm cruising on the interstate at a steady rpm, then I'm not hearing the sound of the motor in a pleasant way, so I'll often switch off PSE. It's not bothering me, per se, but it's not enjoyable either, unless I'm getting on it to pass somebody. But it's easy to just turn it off and let the cabin get a tiny bit quieter (it really doesn't make very much difference in my car under steady-state throttle, like cruising at 80 on the freeway).
Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Under the rear deck in the interior there is a symposer tube that some people sometimes stuff a microfiber in to quiet the droning in the cabin. There are pictures of it somewhere as a DIY.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I still don't get it -- not trying to pick a fight at all. I'm just truly confused about this question.

PSE is designed to be switchable, specifically so you can switch off the "LOUD" button at any time that it isn't pleasant for you. So in your case, why not use it "around town" where it's "great," and then switch it off on the highway when it's "unbearable?" That's exactly what it's for.
No fights being picked . . . it's all good.

I use PSE just as you've described . . . I switch it on around town and hear great gurgles and grunts and switch it off on the highway when it's unpleasant to my ear. But my issues are twofold . . .

First, it feels to me like PSE has become a bit of an urban myth. Everyone only posts how great it is and that it's a "must have". Yet when I posted my "drone" concern once before, I was amazed at how many other posters joined in and agreed that the sound from PSE could be unpleasant at constant highway speed. So I just feel that there is a downside to PSE that no one ever wants to admit. And my comment on the symposer was simply thinking about whether there was a solution to the highway drone while maybe still getting a benefit from PSE. I know others have disabled or muffled it and I am simply trying to understand why.

Second, I'm admittedly a bit disappointed. I've driven AMs and Masers that sound incredible in all conditions and I just wish my 911 did as well. And before anyone says it, there's zero chance that I'd buy an AM or Maser over my Porsche. But I do like their exhaust note.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:18 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

So, I owned a 2013 991 with PDK and no other accessories. That was beautiful but bored me with the PDK. However, I live 3 miles from I-10 and every time I took it up on I-10 and floored it, 2 things would happen: the exhaust would awaken to a deafening roar and the radio turned up the volume to compensate. What could be wrong with that?

I sold the 2013 and ordered a MT GTS. Now I get many variants on the performance and the sound of the The Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) in 3 differing flavors. I have only owned the GTS for two weeks. I am not yet sure I needed the exhaust in 3 differing flavors yet all my friends like the varying tunes. The bottom line is that the base 991 C2 will spice up its own exhaust. Just make sure you need something beyond PSE.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Default Killer Deal on PSE from Suncoast

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=closeout

Quick Reply: 991 Porsche Sport Exhaust