Sponsored by:

Tint Opinion Question........

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:15 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tint Opinion Question........

Since I live in California I can only tint my back 3 windows. I have a Silver car and was wondering since so many of you have already tinted your windows and now know how the car looks after tinting how dark should I go so it really has a nice look. I think Limo dark is a little much but would love to hear as many opinions or advice from all of you that care to help me. I want to make the right decision the first time... One little issue I have is that I want to have it dark enough where you cannot see the roofliner from the rear window. It had a rattle up there so the techs had to put some felt up there to stop the rattles.They did stop the rattles but you can see the felt from the one side looking thru the rear window and the roof liner hangs a tad bit lower on one side(but the rattle is gone!) . I am figuring dark tint will hide that.. sorry to ramble but love all of your help!Thank You
Old 04-21-2015, 11:50 PM
riozilla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I have about 30% VLT ceramic tint all around (except front the windshield) on my 991. Pics below to give you an idea.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:05 AM
recondo
Track Day

Rio: the rear looks a little darker? Is the sunroof open by chance? I'm also looking to tint and am going to Tustin based on a recommendation but was gonna also go 30-35% but now may get fronts a little darker? Thoughts? Where did you get yours done? I'm a little concerned they will ruin back seats when they tint rear and back windows :-(
Old 04-22-2015, 12:10 AM
woodranch
Pro

riozilla do you think the tint enhances the Silver? Would you do it again or change anything?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:12 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Must be the lighting, the Porsche glass roof sunroof was closed. I wouldn't worry about it so much, don't get limo tint. Do ~35% and it will look amazing.

I had mine done by Anthony at Exoticar in West LA. He's great. He just did my Rover also (pic below). I had the Rover done a bit darker due to baby in the back. Also harder to match the front and back window tints on Rovers as back windows are tinted at factory.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:38 AM
woodranch
Pro

I am thinking only doing back 3 windows. Don't feel like get pulled over for front window tints.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:49 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default PhotoSync

My primary consideration for tinting was maximum heat reduction without going overly dark. Premier in Fremont installed PhotoSync and I couldn't be more pleased, a noticeably significant improvement over the ceramic film they installed in my 981S a few years ago. Another big plus for PhotoSync is that you can apply to the front windshield without any loss of light - windshield was critical for me since no matter how effective a film is for the windows and rear, a great deal of heat will be generated through an unprotected windshield.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riozilla
I believe I have about 30% VLT ceramic tint all around (except front the windshield) on my 991. Pics below to give you an idea.
Zilla, your car is STUNNING!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by recondo
Rio: the rear looks a little darker? Is the sunroof open by chance? I'm also looking to tint and am going to Tustin based on a recommendation but was gonna also go 30-35% but now may get fronts a little darker? Thoughts? Where did you get yours done? I'm a little concerned they will ruin back seats when they tint rear and back windows :-(
The rear window darkness effect is due to to the seat backs blocking light from the windshield.

I have 40% Photosync all around and kind if wish I went a bit ligther on the rear side windows to make appear less dark.

Valid concerns on rear seats and seat backs (if they are leather).
You can very easily remove the rear seat lower cushion and put a thick blanket down in its place.
If you have leather seatbacks, consider covering them also.
I had a couple shoe scuffs put in my plastic seat backs, but they cleaned off fairly well.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:05 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a 35% tint suits the car well. I've attached pics of my Agate TT with a 35% tint; had the same tint on my white C2S. I think the tint really complements the glass roof (if the OP has one).
Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2015, 05:49 PM
woodranch
Pro

I think I am passing on the tint due to the fact I can only do the back 3 windows legally . I think the car looks unbalanced when only the back 3 windows are done. Need all 5 tinted to look good.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:08 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely agree with you on that. I've been stopped a couple of times for my tints, but was just told to drive safely after showing a PBA card.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Originally Posted by woodranch
I think I am passing on the tint due to the fact I can only do the back 3 windows legally . I think the car looks unbalanced when only the back 3 windows are done. Need all 5 tinted to look good.
You're over-thinking it. SoCal is so full of nice cars, and most have their side windows tinted. Cops don't even think twice about it, unless maybe if you do limo tint.

I did 35% on all 5 windows on my GTS, and have all windows tinted on my other cars too. Never been pulled over or ticketed for it.

Besides, even if you do get a ticket for it, it's only a small fine, and you don't even have to remove the tint.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM
recondo
Track Day

Originally Posted by eg991
I think a 35% tint suits the car well. I've attached pics of my Agate TT with a 35% tint; had the same tint on my white C2S. I think the tint really complements the glass roof (if the OP has one).
That's the plan on my white C2S...just concerned with clean and matching fronts and tears...
Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM
recondo
Track Day

Originally Posted by lunarx
The rear window darkness effect is due to to the seat backs blocking light from the windshield. I have 40% Photosync all around and kind if wish I went a bit ligther on the rear side windows to make appear less dark. Valid concerns on rear seats and seat backs (if they are leather). You can very easily remove the rear seat lower cushion and put a thick blanket down in its place. If you have leather seatbacks, consider covering them also. I had a couple shoe scuffs put in my plastic seat backs, but they cleaned off fairly well.
Thanks Lunar...I might have to stand there and watch them while they do it because I am very concerned about that!

Quick Reply: Tint Opinion Question........