Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

35% all around, except front.
Only way to Roll!!...lol
Old 04-22-2015, 11:25 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Full disclosure - I live in WA state. I had all five done with 35% 3M Crystalline. It is amazing how much heat it blocks. My wife's MDX was a greenhouse until we did her car. I like that it isn't dark and doesn't really reduce nighttime vision. Their is some reflectivity so from the outside in sunlight I have a bit of privacy from the paparazzi! Overall I highly recommend the Crystalline approach.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:30 AM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

All of you are right, tinting all 5 at 35 percent is money! However ,not worth it to me to get pulled over by the CHP's late night for dark tint. Do not want more reasons to get pulled over. In Southern California they will be more then happy to pull you over for front window tint. Wished I lived in Nevada or Arizona!
Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

woodranch,

I also live in SoCal and went through the same thought process as you. Ultimately I went with a 50% tint on all 5 windows. Its enough to reduce the incoming heat, but not enough to get the attention of the CHP. Theoretically...

YMMV,
DaveGee
Old 04-24-2015, 01:57 AM
recondo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
woodranch,

I also live in SoCal and went through the same thought process as you. Ultimately I went with a 50% tint on all 5 windows. Its enough to reduce the incoming heat, but not enough to get the attention of the CHP. Theoretically...

YMMV,
DaveGee
DaveGee...I'm also in SoCal. Do you have pics of the 50% tint on all 5. I'm getting my tint done this weekend and am debating about going to dark but prefer it...however if 50% looks clean, my opt for that!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:11 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Not sure where you are in SoCal, but my car will be at Hergescheimer in Lake Forest today for its first oil change. I'll shoot some pictures when the sun comes up.

DaveGee
Old 04-24-2015, 11:53 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
woodranch,

YMMV,
DaveGee
50% (even 40%) is very unlikely to have a problem.
You can even do the WS at 80%, which really helps with heat.

35% is where it starts to get risky.
A good rule is open sunroof and/or roll down oposite window, when you see police. Rolling same window is too obvious (a friend got a ticket for that).
Old 04-24-2015, 01:25 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Here's a couple of admittedly bad pics. There's no sun today...

DaveGee
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2015, 02:47 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
You're over-thinking it. SoCal is so full of nice cars, and most have their side windows tinted. Cops don't even think twice about it, unless maybe if you do limo tint.

I did 35% on all 5 windows on my GTS, and have all windows tinted on my other cars too. Never been pulled over or ticketed for it.

Besides, even if you do get a ticket for it, it's only a small fine, and you don't even have to remove the tint.
A friend of mine (in So Cal), very careful driver, got stopped for tinted sides (fairly light - done at the dealer when she bought it), on a Cayenne. Got a fine and told to remove the tint....
Old 07-01-2015, 05:50 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

All depends on your motivation for tinting.

I had all windows tinted 35% to block the interior reflection I was getting in my black-on-black 2013 991. Surprise! Though the temperature inside was dramatically lower, there was no effect on the annoying reflection.
The guy from Birmingham, AL who bought it had all the tinting stripped because it looked too "Miami". He never gave it a chance to see if he needed it to deal with elevated temperatures in B'ham. It has become a garage queen.

I have the same annoying reflection in my 2015 GTS. Rather than waste the money on tint, I bought a windshield screen to reduce the temperature when parked outside. I am living with the same annoying reflection on my beautiful Yachting Blue interior that I had in black. Judging from other Rennlisters, it does not matter the color of your interior. The reflection of the interior is an attribute of the beast that we must live with.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
All depends on your motivation for tinting.

I had all windows tinted 35% to block the interior reflection I was getting in my black-on-black 2013 991. Surprise! Though the temperature inside was dramatically lower, there was no effect on the annoying reflection.
The guy from Birmingham, AL who bought it had all the tinting stripped because it looked too "Miami". He never gave it a chance to see if he needed it to deal with elevated temperatures in B'ham. It has become a garage queen.

I have the same annoying reflection in my 2015 GTS. Rather than waste the money on tint, I bought a windshield screen to reduce the temperature when parked outside. I am living with the same annoying reflection on my beautiful Yachting Blue interior that I had in black. Judging from other Rennlisters, it does not matter the color of your interior. The reflection of the interior is an attribute of the beast that we must live with.
I had a horrible reflection on my last 911 with Luxor Biege interior. With the black/red interior I have now in my GTS, I have practically no reflection at all. The only reflection I do get is that of the chrono clock, but otherwise nothing. Far cry from horrible reflection I had with the luxor.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:32 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is actually in the shop right now getting tinted. With my C2 Cabrio being triple black, I didn't want to go too dark on the tint...

So...I went with ceramic tint at 50% for the sides and back glass and did a clear ceramic for the windshield. Expecting to get 43% heat block with the ceramic and the windshield done.

I have no idea how the 50% will turn out... but with the black paint, black top and back interior, I think it should be a good contrast. Will post some pics tomorrow for others benefit that may be considering various shades of tint.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't 911s come with "green tinted heat-insulating glass" as standard or do these not do a good job at keeping the heat out?

Under Air+Conditioning
http://www.porsche.com/all/comparemo...el3=&compTab=5
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 AM
cutolo91
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dark black but only the rear one!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the tinted rear option shown above is only available in Europe. In the USA, the vehicle must be classified as a Truck or SUV in order to have any factory tint on the rear windows.

Almost all manufacturers claim their factory glass is solar absorbing or heat reducing - and it probably is to an extent - just not nearly at the level you would receive by adding a quality aftermarket window tint film like 3M Crystalline.

Quick Reply: Tint Opinion Question........