Sponsored by:

991 GTS on order - Still some option issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 991 GTS on order - Still some option issues

Since 2 months, I have a 991 GTS on order.

This is the configuration i choose:

991 GTS Carrera coupé

Rhodium Silver
Interior GTS leather/alcantara with Rhodium stitching

- Comfort Package (PCM, Navi, Bluetooth, Cruisecontrol, Parkassist front and rear with camera, Heated seats, Dimming rear view mirrors, Rainsensor)
- GTS interior
- Manual gearbox
- PASM sport -20mm
- 18 Way adaptive seats Sport Plus with memory
- Power Steering Plus
- Fuel tank 90l
- Sunroof (not glass)
- Design interiorlight
- Bose soundsystem

Delivery june.

My issues about some options:

- I'm still thinking about the bucket seats. They are more beautifull with the carbon finishing, and they have a better support to do some trackdays. They also fit perfect the manual gearbox = drivers car! Why do i doubt? I thing they sit too low. I'm 5,7 ft, and my wife, who also want to drive this car, but not very often , is only 5,2 ft.

- The colour. Rhodium vs GT Silver?

What do you guys suggest?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pass on the bucket seats. Sit VERY low and difficult to get in and out of. Not useful for everyday driving. Purely for dedicated track use. I happen to like Rhodium silver. Many prefer GT silver but ti tends lean a bit too much toward gray for my taste. To each his own. A very personal preference. Get what YOU want :-))
Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Honestly I LOVE GT silver...as far as the buckets, I'd skip them...they look cool but just don't rock on the practicality side and unless its a race car, why do that to yourself?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 AM
GTSwest
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Rhodium is a beautiful silver and would save you considerable $$$ over GT, rhodium is very dynamic and looks best in filtered sunlight or a cloudy day - direct sun produces a very bright almost white silver. Either silver will be the easiest colour to care for over the long term and hides dust or dirt extremely well.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Rhodium the color in your avatar OP? Still trying to figure out if that press photo is Rhodium or GT.

Lucky you for living in Europe. I love that we have these options. I would definitely get LWB's. I think they are awesome and are stunning in a CF interior GTS, especially with contrast stitching. They feel awesome, and will definitely be a conversation piece. They are comfortable and very supportive both for long trips.

If you don't need the rear seats I would delete those as well.

Is it going to be a road car or track car? You didn't say what wheels, but if road car I recommend CL's, since you will only be changing tires summer/winter, or not if you have a third vehicle (unlikely in Belgium, but you never know...)

Also, I would consider a rear wiper if you don't think it ruins the look of the car. We get a lot of rain north of you, and it is a great option to have. I like it for the rain, and early morning dew we often get when leaving the car out overnight.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent
I would pass on the bucket seats. Sit VERY low and difficult to get in and out of. Not useful for everyday driving. Purely for dedicated track use. I happen to like Rhodium silver. Many prefer GT silver but ti tends lean a bit too much toward gray for my taste. To each his own. A very personal preference. Get what YOU want :-))
Fair observation, they do sit low and can be difficult to get in and out of. That said, I have Sports Buckets in my 997.2 GTS and for me they are totally fine for every day driving and obviously not for dedicated track use. The thing is, I think they are a good choice if you are reasonably limber and not excessively large. (Full disclosure, I am 5'9" and 160# (that would be 1.75 m and 72 kg) and can touch my palms to the floor without stretching.). It is possible to shim the seats up a bit but it might only be a cm. or so.

The good news is there does seem to be a market for Sports Buckets so you could easily sell them if you don't like them or can't make them work. The bad news is that if you order Sports Buckets you may not get the wiring harness that will allow you to replace the seats with the 18-way seats (a good question to ask your dealer).

In the end, like many non-custom products, Sports Bucket Seats, with only a fore-aft adjustment, are made with the average-sized person in mind. If you fall outside of that envelope they may simply be unworkable. As stated above, I too am a big believer in getting what you want. The 18-way seats, however, seem to be universally loved so I don't know how you could go wrong with those. Think of it this way. Your car connects with the road through its tires and if you put cheapie tires on it you will get less than optimal performance - you connect with your car through the seats and if you are not comfortable with your position your enjoyment will be diminished. So, get the seat you feel you'll be most comfortable in.

Insofar as color - that is on you. I prefer vivid colors but that has nothing to do with your decision. Someone once gave me a bit of advice on choosing a color that I'll pass on. Physically look at both colors you are interested in. Now turn your back and walk away for about five seconds. Now look back at the car/color. In your heart you will know which one to pick - the one that just makes you think, "Wow, that's a beatiful car!" - not the one makes you think, "That's nice, I think I can learn to love it. If you have the "Wow" response to both colors, just flip a coin!

Best of luck - we all should have these decisions to make on a daily basis.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:00 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Delivered yesterday. Pick up next week.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Looks amazing!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Originally Posted by BMWMB
Delivered yesterday. Pick up next week.

Awesome! Is that GT silver?
To the OP, I changed my GTS order from Rhodium Silver to GT Silver. The Rhodium Silver had this light blue hue that is nice, but the more I stared at it and I thought that it might be a better color for a female. My wife told me "hell no, your not getting that color", she liked the GT Silver as well. My 7 yr old said the same thing. No disrespect to anyone owning this color. It's still a great color, but I guess it wasn't for me.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Great in either color. Nice spec. Enjoy!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:54 AM
BMWMB
Instructor

It's Rhodium. This was my first choice! Ok, there is al little bit of blue in this colour, but not much, not like for example Silverstone on BMW M cars, but that makes it very bright, and that's why i love this colour.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:00 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

A Mercedes can also bring driving pleasure!!!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWMB
A Mercedes can also bring driving pleasure!!!
Haha! Nice!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

LOL, love it!

Quick Reply: 991 GTS on order - Still some option issues