Sponsored by:

Roof Liner Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:29 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Roof Liner Rattle

Hi have a small rattle in my roof liner. It is exactly where the liner meets the rear passenger window. If I push it while driving the rattle stops. Would stuffing felt inside do the trick or by the edge where it meets the widow? Also I have no idea how much give the liner has to pull down a little ,to try to stuff some type of buffer(what could I stuff in there) that could quiet the rattle....Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:02 PM
jdthor
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rattle in the exact same place. I cut off a piece of cheap rubber floormat from walmart and stuffed it back there. The piece was about 1 inch by 3 inches and I think I folded it to create some tension. 991's have all sorts of rattles back there. I took out the rear seats and seatbacks and now I am rattle free.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 AM
woodranch
Pro

I tried to put a little felt between the liner and the window and did not solve the problem. Any thoughts on what I could stuff inside the liner to keep it from rattling. Obviously it is not rattling against the window. I need to stuff(any ideas) inside the liner to stop moving. Thanks again for being a newbie.....!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I would just have the dealer fix it because further yanking on the roof liner may snap an attachment point and lead to sagging due to gravity
Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't envy you, I had the same issues. Drove me crazy. At times I felt like I was the only person that noticed as others who road with me thought I was crazy.

Took multiple trips to the dealer to get it resolved (not sure how, probably with tape of some sort). I'm thankful those days are over.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 AM
woodranch
Pro

Thanks all. I think I will take it to the dealer.Don't want to mess it up.Seems like such an easy fix that I could do it myself....
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Thanks all. I think I will take it to the dealer.Don't want to mess it up.Seems like such an easy fix that I could do it myself....

ideally you show demonstrate that sound when you take it in .....also ask the service writer to assign the job to their best " noise guy " , as it seems that a life of working in a noisy environment causes the majority of the wrenches to " lose " their hearing for the rattle/squeak sounds that drive owners crazy
Old 03-31-2015, 03:04 PM
woodranch
Pro

Picking up the car this afternoon.Service advisor said the tech stuffed some foam up in the roof liner...They both went for a test drive and said it is ratlle free. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Hi have a small rattle in my roof liner. It is exactly where the liner meets the rear passenger window. If I push it while driving the rattle stops. Would stuffing felt inside do the trick or by the edge where it meets the widow? Also I have no idea how much give the liner has to pull down a little ,to try to stuff some type of buffer(what could I stuff in there) that could quiet the rattle....Any help would be appreciated!!!
Jumping in on this late... hopefully your rattle is gone. But when you said above that you stopped the rattle if you "push it while driving" are you talking about the actual roof liner trim piece above the rear window, or the rear passenger window? There are actually multiple trim parts there, and if you said pushing on the window stopped the rattle I would say you should also take a look at the window itself. I just did a DIY on replacing a rear side window, and can tell you there are various little guides and clamps that might be loose.... Just a thought -- I'm probably wrong.

good luck!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:52 PM
woodranch
Pro

Sorry I was not clear...If I pushed the liner right above the rear window the rattling would stop. Thats why I am hoping that sticking the foam inside the liner will do the trick.

Quick Reply: Roof Liner Rattle