Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Ice9ine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat

Greetings Renlisters.

In the spirit of helpfulness, for those seeking info on front facing, rear seat, child carseat for 2012 ½ 991 coupe (or thereafter), see info below.

I needed a front facing, rear seat, child carseat so my 5 year old. My experience and suggestions are below:

Cosco Scenera: Owners who have it say it fits great. It’s no longer in production and those still listed in the supply chain (i.e. on Amazon) may be over priced or probably not in stock. I ordered two from Amazon (separate vendors) and both sellers processed the order, then had to cancel it due to unavailability.

Diono Radian RXT Convertible: Ordered it, tried it, returned it. Didn’t fit well in the 991. Heavy, too tall, touched headliner, too many straps and clips, hard to install, straight back that left a large gap at the rear base of the seat due to angle of 911s bucket seat. I RMAd it immediately.

Britax Marathon 70: This is a very good and safe carseat used in my wife’s car. I found it fits the 991 rear seat. Latch attached and 5 point harness. Not much legroom for the child though and sits high, almost touching headliner. Very secure and felt safe. I think this is still in production but has been given a different model name.

Maxi Cosi RodiFix Booster Seat: I called customer service for the Cosco Scenera to see if it was replaced by a newer model with the same dimensions. The answer was no. Doral Juvenile, the parent company of Cosco, also manufactures carseats under the Safety First and MaxiCosi brand names. The CSR suggested the Maxi Cosi RodiFix Booster Seat, which I subsequently purchased and it fits great in the 991. It’s latch secured (nice latch rail system on a small, pedestal base which fits 911s rear bucket seat) and uses the rear seatbelt (not 5 point harness) to secure the child. Very well made, fits securely and well in 991 back seat. Great construction, smooth back and sides that won't scratch the leather of the 991 bucket seat, head and torso side protection, easy to install/remove, adjustable headrest, available in many colors. If you check the MaxiCosi website, there are 3 videos which demonstrate its features and operation. I purchased it on Amazon and am very happy. I can recommend this child car seat based upon actual ownership, assuming you child is the the right size/weight for this seat.

Last edited by Ice9ine; 03-27-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the rundown. My kids are in the back quite a bit for short trips and don't complain too much. These threads always help me rationalize the decision to purchase a 911.

My 8 year old doesn't use a booster. My little guy just turned 5. He fit OK without a booster but the belt rode a little high on the neck and the lap belt buckle is sort of high, so the lap belt didn't fit snugly. With this booster he fits great. A few other rennlisters use it. I got it at target for $13 and the bottom doesn't have any sharp edges.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Bought that exact same one for my 6yo son. Fits perfect so he can ride in "daddy's race car."

You can't beat the price.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:23 PM
chatt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bubblebum is the best booster...
Old 03-27-2015, 02:04 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice9ine
I needed a front facing, rear seat, child car seat so my 5 year old can ride shotgun in my 2012 911S
I'm confused. Where I'm from, 'Shotgun' always meant front seat beside the driver, not rear seat.

As in calling "Shotgun!" when you wanted the front seat.

Are you calling the rear seat 'Shotgun'?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

For those looking for a ISOfix/latch equipped booster I modded a Clek Ozzi and it works great... it is the right width aside from the bulky arm rests that made it a touch too wide to fit. What I did was flip it over and with some tools removed the arm rest and reassembled. It works perfect and fits as if it was OEM.

Kid loves it too and the belt sits at the perfect height across her neck and legs... the high buckle point for the rear belt helps there too. I'll try and take a pic for those that are interested.

Originally Posted by hawc
I'm confused. Where I'm from, 'Shotgun' always meant front seat beside the driver, not rear seat.

As in calling "Shotgun!" when you wanted the front seat.
Agreed, up here in Canadia-land calling 'shotgun' always refers to the front passenger seat. The rules for calling 'shotgun' however differ from person to person.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:12 AM
AlpineJoe
4th Gear

Thanks for the post! had been trying different seats until I read your post. Ordered the Rodifix and it fit perfectly for my C2S 991. My little guy is psyched to finally be in daddy's car!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SMZ
Thanks for the rundown. My kids are in the back quite a bit for short trips and don't complain too much. These threads always help me rationalize the decision to purchase a 911.

My 8 year old doesn't use a booster. My little guy just turned 5. He fit OK without a booster but the belt rode a little high on the neck and the lap belt buckle is sort of high, so the lap belt didn't fit snugly. With this booster he fits great. A few other rennlisters use it. I got it at target for $13 and the bottom doesn't have any sharp edges.

+1 on this booster - it's like they made it for back there. You can also pick them up on Amazon prime in a bunch of different colors.

One other interesting thing for folks to be aware of - the back seat in the Cab is much more vertical than the Coupe. I thought my kids might protest this when I switched to a Cab, but they love it even more than the Coupe
The following users liked this post:
gnne60 (01-17-2021)
Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM
SB
Instructor

I use Porsche seat and it works well except that it rests at a slight angle towards the center. Can someone please post a pic of Rodifix with the back fully extended up?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Dubloh7
Track Day

Any info on rear facing......
Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 AM
cpt_slow
Instructor

Don't quote me on this but I don't think rear facing is an option.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 AM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubloh7
Any info on rear facing......
There is a thread on 6speed that addresses this. I don't have it handy but the short answer is that it's a huge pain in the *** but there is at least 1 viable option (with the front passenger seat all the way up and folded). I have my first spawn arriving in September and have pretty much written off the rear facing option. Once they can front face there are a lot of options.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I use the Cosco Top Side Booster on one side...

Amazon Amazon

...and the Porsche carseat on the other side.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95504480291.html

The Cosco fits perfectly in the back. As another poster mentioned, the Porsche seat angles slightly. It is way overpriced for a booster seat (I know, shocking!) but I do like how it guides the seat belt for my younger children. I have a 4, 6, and 8 year old. Whatever two are riding with me, the youngest gets the Porsche booster. The both the 6 and 8 year old fit fine with the Cosco seat - the seat belt fits properly on them, not on the neck or too far on the shoulder. I still prefer the youngest in the Porsche seat, though. Eventually we will move on to Cosco seats on both sides as they outgrow the Porsche booster - my 8 year old is nearly too big for for the Porsche booster already.

Hope this helps!

BTW, first thing my son said when he rode with me: "Daddy, it sounds just like a race car!"

Why yes, son, yes it does....

They fight over who gets to ride with me...
Old 04-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

BTW, another poster in another thread pointed me in the direction of the Cosco booster...love that I have it in grey/black - matches my Basalt Black/Platinum 991 C2S

Also, I buckle the seat belt through the arm rests of the Cosco seat to secure it when there are no kids in it - otherwise it will slide all over the place back there...
Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

i got a rearfacing in there...you have to play with the front seat though (basically all the way up and forward)

Quick Reply: Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat