Sponsored by:

4/4S as DD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:22 PM
DPC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4/4S as DD?

Anyone use their 4 or 4S as a DD even in the winter with moderate snow or ice? Do you change to snow or all season (if they even exist for a 911) tires? It would be nice to be able to use one car and not switch…Currently I have a base 2015 911 MT and I love driving it and looking for an excuse to go to the 4 or 4S and sell my 335i and save a bit of $. Also would the 4/4S with same appropriate tires perform significantly better than the 2 for winter driving? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:32 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

DPC, I think many members use their 991s as year-round DDs. Snow tires are a must though if you live in an area that gets frozen precip. I think that most would tell you that snow is not a problem (with the right tires), but depth of snow can be a major problem. I don't drive my 911 in Boston winters because we regularly get snowfalls of 6 inches or more (much, much more this year). At those depths, your car's front end becomes a snow plow. And that's not very desirable!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC
Anyone use their 4 or 4S as a DD even in the winter with moderate snow or ice? Do you change to snow or all season (if they even exist for a 911) tires? It would be nice to be able to use one car and not switch…Currently I have a base 2015 911 MT and I love driving it and looking for an excuse to go to the 4 or 4S and sell my 335i and save a bit of $. Also would the 4/4S with same appropriate tires perform significantly better than the 2 for winter driving? Thanks!
An AWD would perform significantly better in the snow or rain, but like Hinckley said, you would need winter tires for sure regardless if you plan on driving through the winter. I have a Targa 4S and notice the grip to be great on wet roads.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

DD my C4s cab and did w the 997 too. BUT winter tires (Porsche approved) is a must if you drive in temps below 40F regardless of precip! Great car!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:11 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

To echo what others have said- Yes, you can use a 991 and just about any P-car as a DD in the winter, but laws of physics will always apply. Deep drifting snow, black ice, etc. and you have to think twice about attempting. But for me, in PA, the bigger consideration is what the road surface conditions are like -- It is rare that you are ever driving in snow-only. More likely it is slush, ice, salt chemicals, gravel, sand, or whatever your local municipality decides is the way to achieve their "clear road" policy here in the US. And in this region this also causes major potholes and rough surfaces in my area as the temperatures change rapidly day-to-day.

But I'll offer a rule of thumb: Not only should you run with "winter' tires for additional traction in the rain, snow and ice, but also anytime the average temperature is 40F or lower. Summer tire / rubber compound that the 991 comes with are just not engineered for temps below 40F. And I don't believe anyone makes an All-Season tire for the 991....
Old 03-27-2015, 09:35 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

This year I did not but as soon as I get a set of wheels freed up from their performance rubber I'm going to buy some winter tires for next year. I live in middle TN so we don't get much snow or sleet but this year and last we had a few more days then normal of the white stuff.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:49 AM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with above.
I've been driving my 2013 C4S with sport design kit all winter (Pittsburgh and Columbus) through slush and snow. Winter tires are a must in cold temperatures regardless of precipitation. You must be aware of potholes and irregularities. I drive extra carefully at night, especially long distances.

Just a heads up -- the 4 and 4s need 305 section rear tires for the included wheels and 305 section winter tires don't exist. So you'd have to get a different set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. I prefer not having to rip the tires on and off the wheels anyway as that can damage the finish on your wheels.

If you go aftermarket, prepare to pay at least $2k for a set of wheels and $1200 for winter tires (Pirelli sotto zero or Michelin alpin PA4).

If you go Porsche OEM, you can get the 19 inch set (wheels and tires) for $4200 (ask to price match suncoast parts). The 20 inch sets seems to be sold out at suncoast this year but this past fall I had my dealer price match down to $5000 from $6500 I believe (carrera S wheels and winter tires). It's getting warmer now so the dealer may have them discounted. You can always negotiate!!

The dealer will mount and exchange them for you and should store your other set, if you wish. Nominal fee.

I see it this way -- it's having 2 sets of wheels and tires -- which cumulatively will last twice as long. So you're paying for safety and usability in the winter and with the added benefit of longevity.

W
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
DPC, I think many members use their 991s as year-round DDs. Snow tires are a must though if you live in an area that gets frozen precip. I think that most would tell you that snow is not a problem (with the right tires), but depth of snow can be a major problem. I don't drive my 911 in Boston winters because we regularly get snowfalls of 6 inches or more (much, much more this year). At those depths, your car's front end becomes a snow plow. And that's not very desirable!
^^^ This

I used a 996 4S as a year round daily driver when I lived in Westchester and it was great in snow with snow tires. I had a second set of wheels with the snow tires and changed them myself with a floor jack in my garage - it was kind of a fun fall / spring ritual. The only problem, as pointed out above, is ground clearance. But it was never a big issue for me.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:40 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wwspeeds
Agree with above.
Just a heads up -- the 4 and 4s need 305 section rear tires for the included wheels and 305 section winter tires don't exist. So you'd have to get a different set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. I prefer not having to rip the tires on and off the wheels anyway as that can damage the finish on your wheels.
You sure about that statement? Not sure if 305 winters exist or not, but you aren't stuck having to buy second set of wheels if you don't want. Per manual, winter tires can be 295 in the rear. Summer rubber are 305s in the rear.

For example, I have a set of Mich Pilot Aplin snows mounted on a second set of the stock/OEM 20" "S" wheels that are stock to my 4S. They are 245/35 F and 295/30 R.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I drive my C2S year round with winter tires Nov-March and summer tires for the rest of the year. I LOVE driving it! Every day!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:54 AM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenum--
I looked into it and you may be correct about 295s being able to be mounted on 11 inch wheels. I was perhaps under the wrong impression that there were 2 different width of wheels made for the 991 -- "295" width and "305" width -- like the sport techno wheel. It does seem that the wheels may be all of the same width. I stand corrected!

I do, however, feel that taking the tires on and off your wheels can do damage to the finish.

W
Old 03-28-2015, 08:28 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

I DD a 991 targa 4S with Porsche winter tire set up. A fantastic DD, very confident in moderate snow, ice, freezing rain etc.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:28 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

295s can be mounted to the 11 inch wide rear wheels. I'm running a 295 PA4 on my TT for the winter on HRE Flow Forms (11x20), and the Pirelli 305s on the stock rims (also 11x20) for the summer.

Quick Reply: 4/4S as DD?