Sponsored by:

991 GTS Track Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GTS Track Test

I haven't been able to find any 991 GTS Nurburgring lap times. Porsche was testing the GTS at the Nurburgring last year but never released any official lap times. Makes you wonder if they were not happy with the results... Obviously the GTS was positioned between the S and GT3 so naturally one would want to know how it stacks up against it's siblings. I'm guessing lap times would be pretty close to an S and no where near a GT3. It would be nice if the lap times were officially listed just like all the other track focused models in its segment.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:41 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I agree, it would be nice to know, but in the end who really cares?.....the GTS is a street car, the GT3 is a track focused car that is relatively nice to drive on the street. If I ever drive the Nurburgring to work a few seconds off I guess would be nice, otherwise I'll just have to "suffer" in a GTS.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

seems like the wider tire than the S and the powerkit should put it ahead of the S, but agreed, that would be an interesting stat. cheers.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I agree, it would be nice to know, but in the end who really cares?.....the GTS is a street car, the GT3 is a track focused car that is relatively nice to drive on the street. If I ever drive the Nurburgring to work a few seconds off I guess would be nice, otherwise I'll just have to "suffer" in a GTS.
I agree. How many people drive "The Ring"? Never understood why so many people are so concerned about lap times around the ring. People get so excited about a few seconds differential over a 14 miles course, or however long it is.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
I haven't been able to find any 991 GTS Nurburgring lap times. Porsche was testing the GTS at the Nurburgring last year but never released any official lap times. Makes you wonder if they were not happy with the results... Obviously the GTS was positioned between the S and GT3 so naturally one would want to know how it stacks up against it's siblings. I'm guessing lap times would be pretty close to an S and no where near a GT3. It would be nice if the lap times were officially listed just like all the other track focused models in its segment.
since it really just recently opened back up for the season i think you will see sport auto do a supertest on it sometime soon. hope its a GTS2 with PDK! i bet it screams!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

This. The GTS is a Carrera S with a few options added. Nothing more.

Not even on same planet as GT3.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
This. The GTS is a Carrera S with a few options added. Nothing more.

Not even on same planet as GT3.
BINGO! We have a winner!

Porsche hasn't released GTS times because they know the GTS is an options package, technically not a new model at all. For marketing purposes they want to call it a model and pretend it fits in like a model so they talk about it being in between the S and the GT3. Which, technically, it is. But no more so than any other similarly optioned S. Which lap times would reveal. So: no official lap times!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
BINGO! We have a winner! Porsche hasn't released GTS times because they know the GTS is an options package, technically not a new model at all. For marketing purposes they want to call it a model and pretend it fits in like a model so they talk about it being in between the S and the GT3. Which, technically, it is. But no more so than any other similarly optioned S. Which lap times would reveal. So: no official lap times!
You can bet the added 30 HP over an S would show a significant improvement in lap times on such a long track.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Way closer then you may think....

Look at the times @ 10:00 mark

991 GT3 1:27.28
991 50th 1:28.93

A 1.3% difference? (my math could be off)

All subjective and lots of unknowns, but they are not a "world" apart. They both are from the 918 though.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 03-26-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Way closer then you may think....

2015 Porsche 911 GT3: The Ultimate Drivers 911? - Ignition Ep. 121 - YouTube

Look at the times @ 10:00 mark

991 GT3 1:27.28
991 50th 1:28.93

A 1.3% difference? (my math could be off)

All subjective and lots of unknowns, but they are not a "world" apart. They both are from the 918 though.
funny I was going to quote the same video
Old 03-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
since it really just recently opened back up for the season i think you will see sport auto do a supertest on it sometime soon. hope its a GTS2 with PDK! i bet it screams!
+1
Old 03-26-2015, 03:44 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
You can bet the added 30 HP over an S would show a significant improvement in lap times on such a long track.
True. But so would the added weight and higher coefficient drag will negatively impact the GTS. The ring is Porsche's training ground for all their sports cars and they publish lap times proudly for the C2S and GT3 but not the GTS?!?!?! Makes you wonder why that is... Similar case with Ferrari saying they beat the 918 ring lap record but refuses to release official lap time.

Obviously most of us are not here to buy cars based on lap times but when it comes to sport cars lap times is a stat that sport/racing enthusiast will want to know on a particular model. And if a manufacturer especially Porsche who basically uses the ring as their official testing ground and not to mention literally located in their backyard doesn't release lap times for a 911 GTS people will start to notice.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

True. But so would the added weight and higher coefficient drag will negatively impact the GTS. The ring is Porsche's training ground for all their sports cars and they publish lap times proudly for the C2S and GT3 but not the GTS?!?!?! Makes you wonder why that is... Similar case with Ferrari saying they beat the 918 ring lap record but refuses to release official lap time.

Obviously most of us are not here to buy cars based on lap times but when it comes to sport cars lap times is a stat that sport/racing enthusiast will want to know on a particular model. And if a manufacturer especially Porsche who basically uses the ring as their official testing ground and not to mention literally located in their backyard doesn't release lap times for a 911 GTS people will start to notice.
its unlikely to be slower than an S, nor faster than a GT3 ... how do the various figures (drag, weight etc) compare ... we can probably interpolate the time pretty accurately given the 2S and GT3 times.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Way closer then you may think.... Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77xV5upNGAI Look at the times @ 10:00 mark 991 GT3 1:27.28 991 50th 1:28.93 A 1.3% difference? (my math could be off) All subjective and lots of unknowns, but they are not a "world" apart. They both are from the 918 though.
Wow. Interesting.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

True. But so would the added weight and higher coefficient drag will negatively impact the GTS. The ring is Porsche's training ground for all their sports cars and they publish lap times proudly for the C2S and GT3 but not the GTS?!?!?! Makes you wonder why that is... Similar case with Ferrari saying they beat the 918 ring lap record but refuses to release official lap time. Obviously most of us are not here to buy cars based on lap times but when it comes to sport cars lap times is a stat that sport/racing enthusiast will want to know on a particular model. And if a manufacturer especially Porsche who basically uses the ring as their official testing ground and not to mention literally located in their backyard doesn't release lap times for a 911 GTS people will start to notice.
A 62lb difference and a DC of .29 vs .30. Where it may lose a little there. It will make up for in handling. The wide body of the GTS is superior in the handling department. Even if the hp was muted. Which it isn't because the sprint to 200km is .7 faster than the S. The handling would be far superior and yield faster lap times.

Quick Reply: 991 GTS Track Test