Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Club Coupe - I got the call...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:10 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Now the big question is, is this a financially stupid decision?

Ahh...that IS the big question. If you have any wish to make this buy collectible in the least, get the manual transmission. And be prepared to wait 20 + years to see a valuation on the car over and above price paid.

Or you could take that $ 140K and put it in Apple Stock, where in 20 years it will be worth a million. Yes. projections either way, I know...but my money is on Apple.

That is not really an investment grade car but to a very select few, PCA hardcore types. To everyone else its a Porsche 911. I owned a Special Edition Porsche at one time - it wasn't worth any more at resale than a standard car with similar options. If you want to get a NEW Porsche with the best collectibility and a 918 is too much, then the GT3 RS is the one to get. In the purple.

Cars make lousy investments unless you happen to hit just the right model and can hold it for half a century. I used to own a 1970 911E and sold it for $ 2,500 with 256K miles on it in 1980. Today that car would be worth around $ 60,000 unrestored. But if I'd have put that $ 2,500 in Apple Stock in 1980 it would be worth $ 755,000 today

Buy it because you want it. That's the right rationale.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Now the big question is, is this a financially stupid decision? Ahh...that IS the big question. If you have any wish to make this buy collectible in the least, get the manual transmission. And be prepared to wait 20 + years to see a valuation on the car over and above price paid. Or you could take that $ 140K and put it in Apple Stock, where in 20 years it will be worth a million. Yes. projections either way, I know...but my money is on Apple. That is not really an investment grade car but to a very select few, PCA hardcore types. To everyone else its a Porsche 911. I owned a Special Edition Porsche at one time - it wasn't worth any more at resale than a standard car with similar options. If you want to get a NEW Porsche with the best collectibility and a 918 is too much, then the GT3 RS is the one to get. In the purple. Cars make lousy investments unless you happen to hit just the right model and can hold it for half a century. I used to own a 1970 911E and sold it for $ 2,500 with 256K miles on it in 1980. Today that car would be worth around $ 60,000 unrestored. But if I'd have put that $ 2,500 in Apple Stock in 1980 it would be worth $ 755,000 today Buy it because you want it. That's the right rationale.
... The last sentence... Exactly. I consider my car as a reward for hard work - not an investment - leave that to the portfolio and real estate. I love the club coupe... Love it!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

I also agree with drcollie. While the 60th Club Coupe may depreciate slightly slower than other GTSs, it will lose value. So, not really a great "investment."
I got the email yesterday and confirmed my desire to purchase within 15 minutes. I decided I wanted a somewhat unique, low production volume Porsche and I actually like the "Club Blau" color.
As a side note, the 50th Anniversary Club Coupes are holding their values quite well versus the general Porsche population.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks all for the comments.

Yeah, I don't think this is rational as an investment... at least not in the foreseeable future. It would, however, be great to see lower depreciation than other 991 variants are experiencing. I think the 50th anniversary Club Coupe is a good analog. I was poking around to see how those are holding up and struggled to find information, so good to know they're reasonably holding value.

Do I want it? Absolutely! Not having seen it in person, it's a total head-turner. I'm very partial to the bright blue and love the Exclusive duck tail.

Now I need to get back to work to counterbalance the reward!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for all you winners! The GTS club coupe looks amazing. I imagine it will hold its value better than many other models, but that aspect notwithstanding, it's a great looking and really unique specimen.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Thanks all for the comments.

Yeah, I don't think this is rational as an investment... at least not in the foreseeable future. It would, however, be great to see lower depreciation than other 991 variants are experiencing. I think the 50th anniversary Club Coupe is a good analog. I was poking around to see how those are holding up and struggled to find information, so good to know they're reasonably holding value.

Do I want it? Absolutely! Not having seen it in person, it's a total head-turner. I'm very partial to the bright blue and love the Exclusive duck tail.

Now I need to get back to work to counterbalance the reward!
Great looking car, but the ducktail is not exclusive. The color, labeling and steering wheel stitching are unique, but most other features can be ordered on other models. I saw it in person in Daytona and was very impressed with the overall look.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:28 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Great looking car, but the ducktail is not exclusive. The color, labeling and steering wheel stitching are unique, but most other features can be ordered on other models.
Right - confusing - I used capital "E" Exclusive as that's what Porsche calls it, rather than meaning exclusive to this car.

I was next to a 991 with the duck tail at the Monterey Parade concourse and thought it looked fantastic!

And, yeah, seems as though the reaction from those who have seen it in person is overwhelmingly positive. Really good to hear!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

debate with the wife still ongoing.... 21 hours left. I agree with drcollie... Buy it because you want it.

I did call PCA today and asked about MY. Its going to be a 2015MY. I was surprised by that and not too happy about it either. From the standpoint that its just another 911 I'll already be eating 1 year of depreciation.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting thread. But would it be worth buying to resell in the short term? Would someone really pay more for it in 3-6 months or will it just be another used 991?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
debate with the wife still ongoing.... 21 hours left. I agree with drcollie... Buy it because you want it.

I did call PCA today and asked about MY. Its going to be a 2015MY. I was surprised by that and not too happy about it either. From the standpoint that its just another 911 I'll already be eating 1 year of depreciation.
That's not what the form says that was sent out. The form has "991 MY G", the 2015 MY letter is F, so G is 2016. Which is what the form has.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to be honest and say I was passed around 3 times as they searched for the answer so not sure they knew what they were talking about
Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

An excellent article on this car in the MAR Panorama states that Club Coupe #1 (the only one built so far) is a MY 2015. All 59 subsequent cars, which will all go to lottery winners, will be MY 2016 vehicles.
Club Coupe #1 will be the grand prize in a PCA Members Only Raffle in which all PCA members can participate.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I've confirmed with Vu that they will be MY 2016.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:40 AM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been checking my email, now I can stop. Kind of relieved, not sure what I would have done.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:47 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I think the car is very handsome and might have signed up for one if they offered it in a convertible variant. But also I temper that with what I assume is a full MSRP price tag on this, doubt you will get any kind of discount. To me, not being independently wealthy, I know I can walk onto almost any Porsche lot and get a new 991 at 10% off MSRP as long as its not a GT3. So is that car worth $ 10K + extra for the paint and badge? To some it is. I would probably take the $ 10K and buy a good exhaust and set of HRE wheels (hey! That's what I did!) over a stock GTS.

I'd be interested if you are able to get a discount on it from the dealer...keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Club Coupe - I got the call...