Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli falls into Chinese hands

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was thinking to get Pirelli - now I won't even if they're free.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
That was the Cleveland family night out BBQ on the Cuyahoga River.
Arggh, that's right. Now I remember. I was thinking of one of the great lakes, or an area of one of the lakes, that was so polluted that there was a sludge upon the surface.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Never been a Pirelli fan always preferred Michelin. Just put Super Sports on my 4S and love the way they drive over the OEM Pirelli's that came on the car.

But I also just returned from China last week, my 3rd trip there this year. I have been going there for close to 25 years. Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Europe and eastern bloc before that. I have put China made product down the Runway Shows in Paris, Milan and New York so I know they can make great stuff well if they choose. Do they want to be a Super Power? Don't kid yourself they already are a Super Economic Power which is the only thing that really counts today. It doesn't matter how big your cannon is anymore it's about how big your bank account is. We said similar things about Japan and most of own and appreciate Japanese made products.

Will I drive their cars or use their tires, most certainly not. But they want to be legit in the lux markets. It would be foolish for them to screw with Pirelli. It's the corruption that really causes most of their issues so it will be interesting to watch while riding on my Michelins. Just my two cents.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Nope, and I don't consider China 3rd world either. I was actually trying to say that very good tires (Bridgestone) come from Asia already. Rubber trees do grow there (mostly SEA). Been to both countries many times and they are very impressive. Now Mexico makes tires and I would rather buy from China though I have never had any problems with my Continentals from Mexico. I agree, the specs won't change!
Sorry, I see. Whats funny is that I have a friend (more of an acquaintance) actually thought that everyone in Japan still carries Katana (Samurai Sword), as he saw Kill Bill Vol. 1...I **** you not...
Old 03-25-2015, 10:59 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Accident using the new Chinese tires!! Kidding!

A 959!! Was in love with the car back in high school! Only 337 units built. Wow.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503239...er-speeding-on
That'll buff right out.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL at some in here. Keep wearing those tin-foil hats folks. China is a Economic Superpower already. Who gives a **** if Pirelli is owned by a Chinese company. I will pick the best tires for my car regardless of brand.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 AM
rwschill
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Porsche will look for another OEM, maybe M
Old 07-27-2016, 10:18 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts

Considering we all think of a Porsche as a high end German car. regardless of whether a Chinese Pirelli tire is better or worse it is kinda hard to see "made in China" on the rim of the tire on these cars. Seems like Porsche may not like it either but if China becomes Porsche's largest market all bets are off.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shandyman5
LOL at some in here. Keep wearing those tin-foil hats folks. China is a Economic Superpower already. Who gives a **** if Pirelli is owned by a Chinese company. I will pick the best tires for my car regardless of brand.
Things "made in China" is different than "own by China." When it's just "made in China," the parent company sets the engineering parameter and control the quality of the production. If they don't meet that QA, they won't do business with them.

When the Chinese company "owns" the company, it's a different story.

I know Chinese company culture very well, what I will say is quality is not the #1 priority. #1 is profit, #2 is more profit, and #3 is how they can cut corners to make even more profit.

But let's get real, Pirelli is of the worst tire brand in its segment. There's not much they can do to screw it up further. I hope the new leadership will improve on, worse case it still remains the poorest performing tire in its class and the cost will drive down to match its poor performance. .

And to everyone, don't forget the Firestone and Ford Explore incident. American founded tire company and made in Decatur, IL. It would be so much easier to blame the poor Chinese manufacturing, but it was made here in the U.S. of A.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The Chinese own half of the USA. At this point, who owns Pirelli is peanuts. We have bigger issues
Old 07-27-2016, 08:07 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The Chinese own half of the USA. At this point, who owns Pirelli is peanuts. We have bigger issues
I don't buy Chinese-made products either and will not be getting OEM tires, in this case.
Screw their greed and low quality, corner cutting cheap crap.

Off to Michelin!

P.S. Will they rename the brand to:
1. Chinelli
2. Cheaprelli
Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I don't buy Chinese-made products either
You consume Chinese products every day. 24. 7. FYI.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

As I'm viewing the forum on my Chinese made iPhone....
Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
As I'm viewing the forum on my Chinese made iPhone....
Yup, I'll grant you that. Some things are unavoidable but many are, such as:
1. Clothing
2. House hold items take a tad of searching but are out there
3. Hell, I make sure that the paper clips I buy are made in Taiwan!
4. German cars are an obvious choice for us all and ouch, did we spend or what?

To stay somewhat on topic, will a dealer agree to install identical-in-size-performance non-OEM tires or should we look elsewhere when the time comes?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:21 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
To stay somewhat on topic, will a dealer agree to install identical-in-size-performance non-OEM tires?
Yes.

Quick Reply: Pirelli falls into Chinese hands