Sponsored by:

Pirelli falls into Chinese hands

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leveragedsellout
I would offer up a similar survey 3 years later...coming in at 9th place...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-p-zero-page-2

And I'm not sure I trust any country touching the Mediterranean with QC either. Not exactly a region known for work ethic.

Bottom line is you are going to have a hard time living life avoiding products made in less than desirable locales and industries will continue to consolidate - and more often than not those products are just fine. Michelin makes tires all over the world - including several Asian countries - but who made those 1.3 million recalled in 2013? Canada. And who made the 100k recalled 6 months before that? South Carolina.

It's all a crapshoot - i just do the best i can with the information i have.

Well there's just a huge difference between "made in China" and "conceived, designed, made, managed, etc. in China". Clearly many products are made there that are very high-quality, however those products are generally made under the strict supervision of a company headquartered in a country from outside China. Chinese companies themselves are almost always in bed with the Chinese government if not outright owned by the Chinese government, and the relationship is so completely corrupt that the whole idea of quality control is a fantasy. This is why you read about dogfood from there that kills dogs, or children's toys covered in lead paint.

H.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The most interesting thing about this thread is the way it shows how average guys have totally absorbed and parrot back the desired talking points. Pirelli didn't "fall into" Chinese hands, like they set a trap, or were just sitting there and one day hey, look what fell out of the sky! Chinese hands earned the money, went looking for better uses, found Pirelli and bought control. Whole different meme.

Then theres the idea they only copy but can't conceive, design, etc. Pretty much what the Europeans said of the US way back when. Didn't work for them. Won't work for us. Won't work on pollution, which is just a normal phase (anybody remember the name of the American river so polluted it caught fire several times?) and it sure won't work on Government, not coming from a country financed by Goldman Sachs, a country so rapidly slipping down the economic freedom rankings we're not even in the top 10 any more.

Anyway, what's the diff? So Pirelli makes OEM. In the aftermarket, its still gonna be Bridgestone.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuck911
The most interesting thing about this thread is the way it shows how average guys have totally absorbed and parrot back the desired talking points. Pirelli didn't "fall into" Chinese hands, like they set a trap, or were just sitting there and one day hey, look what fell out of the sky! Chinese hands earned the money, went looking for better uses, found Pirelli and bought control. Whole different meme.

Then theres the idea they only copy but can't conceive, design, etc. Pretty much what the Europeans said of the US way back when. Didn't work for them. Won't work for us. Won't work on pollution, which is just a normal phase (anybody remember the name of the American river so polluted it caught fire several times?) and it sure won't work on Government, not coming from a country financed by Goldman Sachs, a country so rapidly slipping down the economic freedom rankings we're not even in the top 10 any more.

Anyway, what's the diff? So Pirelli makes OEM. In the aftermarket, its still gonna be Bridgestone.
I just re-read the whole thread and I can't find where anyone said the Chinese "only copy but can't conceive, design, etc." Was that post deleted or something?

H.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hoppah
I just re-read the whole thread and I can't find where anyone said the Chinese "only copy but can't conceive, design, etc." Was that post deleted or something? H.
It's Chuck! What can you say?? It's all entertainment with some good stuff thrown in once in a while. Bouncing between that line between genius and insane like I've stated before.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:56 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by STG991
It's Chuck! What can you say?? It's all entertainment with some good stuff thrown in once in a while. Bouncing between that line between genius and insane like I've stated before.
I guess I'll wait for the good stuff and ignore the straw men.

H.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hoppah
Well there's just a huge difference between "made in China" and "conceived, designed, made, managed, etc. in China". Clearly many products are made there that are very high-quality, however those products are generally made under the strict supervision of a company headquartered in a country from outside China. Chinese companies themselves are almost always in bed with the Chinese government if not outright owned by the Chinese government, and the relationship is so completely corrupt that the whole idea of quality control is a fantasy. This is why you read about dogfood from there that kills dogs, or children's toys covered in lead paint.

H.
So they can make it, but not conceive or design it. And you don't even realize that's what you said. And you guys are criticizing me? Wow.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:06 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuck911
So they can make it, but not conceive or design it. And you don't even realize that's what you said. And you guys are criticizing me? Wow.
So first it's a straight straw man, then you compound your problem with an explanation that puts words into my post which I did not say. Please point out where I said "they can[not] conceive or design it".

I'll be waiting.

H.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I'm not sure, but you aren't implying that Japan is a 3rd world country? I can assure you it isn't..

To the OP: Controlling interest doesn't mean they are going to change specifications and such.
Nope, and I don't consider China 3rd world either. I was actually trying to say that very good tires (Bridgestone) come from Asia already. Rubber trees do grow there (mostly SEA). Been to both countries many times and they are very impressive. Now Mexico makes tires and I would rather buy from China though I have never had any problems with my Continentals from Mexico. I agree, the specs won't change!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I imagine that Pirelli tires will be made the same way at the same factories.

i am a michelin man myself however....
Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 PM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"Pirelli’s headquarters will remain in Milan, as will the company’s research and development, which has become more key in recent years as the manufacturer has focused on high-end tires that have better margins. "

And at this point they will only own half of the 26% stake owned by the CEO (other half owned by Rosneft - scary scary russians!). They can't even induce the tender to acquire the outstanding shares given where the stock is trading.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I have a political take on this, I won't support the Chinese economy on this or any other purchase as long as I have an alternative choice from another country. Why? Because I studied the China extensively in college and am convinced they intend to become a Superpower, and they are at odds with the United States. Eventually I believe we will clash militarily and purchasing any of their products helps fuel their economy and in turn their military buildup. While I may not have a choice in computers and smart phones, I do in tires and cars.

Think I'm an alarmist? Here's just a couple of things to note in recent news...

http://www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bill...crete-in-China

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/55n...outh-Chin.html

And besides, Michelins work better on 991's anyways....
Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have a political take on this, I won't support the Chinese economy on this or any other purchase as long as I have an alternative choice from another country. Why? Because I studied the China extensively in college and am convinced they intend to become a Superpower, and they are at odds with the United States. Eventually I believe we will clash militarily and purchasing any of their products helps fuel their economy and in turn their military buildup. While I may not have a choice in computers and smart phones, I do in tires and cars. Think I'm an alarmist? Here's just a couple of things to note in recent news... http://www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bill...crete-in-China http://www.livemint.com/Politics/55n...outh-Chin.html And besides, Michelins work better on 991's anyways....
Not a matter of if, but when.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenemy
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 PM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have a political take on this, I won't support the Chinese economy on this or any other purchase as long as I have an alternative choice from another country. Why? Because I studied the China extensively in college and am convinced they intend to become a Superpower, and they are at odds with the United States. Eventually I believe we will clash militarily and purchasing any of their products helps fuel their economy and in turn their military buildup. While I may not have a choice in computers and smart phones, I do in tires and cars.

Think I'm an alarmist? Here's just a couple of things to note in recent news...

http://www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bill...crete-in-China

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/55n...outh-Chin.html

And besides, Michelins work better on 991's anyways....
You "think" they "intend" to become a super power? That is i like saying you think an Olympian intends to win a medal. Why the hell wouldn't they intend on becoming a super power? I think most would argue they are already there.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
That's it - "Bouncing between that line between genius and insane"! I also like to think of him (you, if you're reading this) as the straw that stirs the drink!

And wasn't it Lake Erie (or maybe it was Huron or Ontario) that caught on fire - although maybe it was a river, I only vaguely remember it.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

That was the Cleveland family night out BBQ on the Cuyahoga River.

Quick Reply: Pirelli falls into Chinese hands