Sponsored by:

2014 991 S backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 991 S backup camera

I'm looking at buying a 991s. It has insane options. But no front/rear sensors. No backup camera. I was told that a camera could be installed factory. The radio just needs a re flash. Anyone have experience of this.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
I'm looking at buying a 991s. It has insane options. But no front/rear sensors. No backup camera. I was told that a camera could be installed factory. The radio just needs a re flash. Anyone have experience of this.
2 ways this could go... 1)install third-party sensors and camera, and 2)check with Porsche as to whether you can buy all the parts from the 2015+MY 991s to "retrofit" front and rear park assist and park distance control or whatever it is called...

I am sure both can be done. However, I don't recall ever coming across a third-party PDC installation. But a rear camera install? Yes. Check out this DIY I put together last year: 991 C4S Rear Camera Install There are numerous posts on this board and others on this topic. I did the rear camera job myself entirely, and spent maybe $1,000 versus an installer that would have charged me in the range of $1,500-$2,500 if not more.

As for the option of retrofitting -- I have to believe that the costs will be prohibitive. You would have to replace both front and rear bumper covers, repaint them, get the controllers and other bits for the sensors, add the camera, and reprogram everything. I would guess your costs might be inthe $4-10k range, with a lot of variables if you went this route.Maybe you could source used parts or something, not sure I would go that route. But if you are someone who is going to heavily modify your 991, why not get the option added by replacing the front and rear covers?

Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:02 PM
gusp
Instructor

I was worried about the same thing when buying my S. No backup camera or parking sensors.... what am I going to do??

However, once I started driving it, I got over it real fast. I'm glad I didn't let it stop me from getting the one I really wanted.

Good luck
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Do you really need this?

I understand it on a truck or large SUV, but never even come close needing it on a 911. Maybe your circumstances are different though.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:59 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You definitely don't need it. But the sensors saved my *** yesterday. I hate the e-brake. I guess I had released the parking brake and didn't realize it while sitting in the parked car. All of a sudden the sensors go off. The car was rolling back and I hit the brake inches from rolling into the car behind me. Careless, I know, but saved me anyway.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:15 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Installed a license plate backup camera on the DD that ties into the double din receiver. Little bit of work installing it but it works great and cost was only $ 40. They also make mini camera's that tie into the rearview mirror that are pretty neat. Lots out there to choose from. I never felt the need for the parking sensors on such a small vehicle and don't like the way they look.02 T
Attached Images   

Last edited by 77tony; 03-23-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I added sensors and camera!!
Old 03-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Installed a license plate backup camera on my DD and tied it into the double din receiver. Little bit of work installing it but it works great and cost was only $ 40. They also make mini camera's that tie into the rearview mirror that are pretty neat. Lots out there to choose from. I never felt the need for either the parking sensors or backup camera on such a small vehicle.02 T
My 991 did not come with the sensors either. I would actually like to have them because there is a cement wall about 25 feet behind me when backing out of my garage. Plus I park in a underground parking ramp at the office. There are cars in the row right behind me.
The back sensor is really all I would need. So how does that rear license plate sensor thing work? Where would I buy something like that? And I am not tech savvy so would have to have somebody install it. Who would do that and what would be the cost of installation? I would not need the camera.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:49 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

I can't resist addressing the comments about whether a backup camera is needed or not.... Front camera, parking sensors, nah you can probably do without in my opinion on the 991. And if we are purely talking about situations for parking, sure, the rear camera isn't "necessary". Just like self-parking cars isn't necessary.

But telling someone that a rearview camera isn't needed in a 911 / any small car is just ignorant. The car isn't big enough to need a camera? Really? Kids only get run-over by SUVs / large sedans or something? Are we all such great drivers that we don't need that extra bit of safety? Heck, we don't need ABS because we are so great at stopping without wheel lockup, so what do we need that expensive option for???

I for one am happy to pay whatever for an option that is a very small price to pay for the extra "insurance" it provides. I would have preferred it as OEM option on my '14 C4S, but it wasn't available yet. So I installed a fully-integrated camera system last year.

Maybe most of the guys on here don't have small kids around their garage, but my kids are very active outside, and in the span of just 30-90 seconds -- the time it takes me to get my iPhone plugged-in, put on my sunglasses, whatever -- they can creep-up behind my car and not be visible to me by just glancing at the side mirrors, rear-view mirror, or spinning my head around to look out the rear window! I've had neighborhood kids, playing hide-and-seek, get under my wifes SUV to hide! Do what I can to keep the garage from being a playground, I have to be vigilant.

So I am always extra-cautious pulling in and out of the garage. And the camera I installed was primarily for this reason alone. For example, here are some pics I snapped for a friend of mine who made the same ridiculous comment "why would you ever need a rear camera?" Take a look, and tell me you wouldn't want the extra insurance that the camera provides that you won't injure someone, or just damage the car? In this case it is just a helmet and scooter, but it could have been the neighbors 4yr old daughter drawing with chalk!

Sitting in my garage, looking through center rear-view mirror:

Looking through the rear window directly:

And here is what I see in my PCM with the car in Reverse: (Sony camera gives me direct-down AND wide angle views!)

And last, what I saw when if I got out of the car and looked...

Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
My 991 did not come with the sensors either. I would actually like to have them because there is a cement wall about 25 feet behind me when backing out of my garage. Plus I park in a underground parking ramp at the office. There are cars in the row right behind me.
The back sensor is really all I would need. So how does that rear license plate sensor thing work? Where would I buy something like that? And I am not tech savvy so would have to have somebody install it. Who would do that and what would be the cost of installation? I would not need the camera.
Tied it into the double din receiver so when so when shift lever is placed in reverse it comes up on the double din screen. Hunt down a good stereo installer that's familiar with 991's or at a minimum show your installer Plenum's DIY PCM removal over on the 6speed forum. T
Old 03-23-2015, 03:57 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plenum
I can't resist addressing the comments about whether a backup camera is needed or not.... Front camera, parking sensors, nah you can probably do without in my opinion on the 991. And if we are purely talking about situations for parking, sure, the rear camera isn't "necessary". Just like self-parking cars isn't necessary. But telling someone that a rearview camera isn't needed in a 911 / any small car is just ignorant. The car isn't big enough to need a camera? Really? Kids only get run-over by SUVs / large sedans or something? Are we all such great drivers that we don't need that extra bit of safety? Heck, we don't need ABS because we are so great at stopping without wheel lockup, so what do we need that expensive option for??? I for one am happy to pay whatever for an option that is a very small price to pay for the extra "insurance" it provides. I would have preferred it as OEM option on my '14 C4S, but it wasn't available yet. So I installed a fully-integrated camera system last year. Maybe most of the guys on here don't have small kids around their garage, but my kids are very active outside, and in the span of just 30-90 seconds -- the time it takes me to get my iPhone plugged-in, put on my sunglasses, whatever -- they can creep-up behind my car and not be visible to me by just glancing at the side mirrors, rear-view mirror, or spinning my head around to look out the rear window! I've had neighborhood kids, playing hide-and-seek, get under my wifes SUV to hide! Do what I can to keep the garage from being a playground, I have to be vigilant. So I am always extra-cautious pulling in and out of the garage. And the camera I installed was primarily for this reason alone. For example, here are some pics I snapped for a friend of mine who made the same ridiculous comment "why would you ever need a rear camera?" Take a look, and tell me you wouldn't want the extra insurance that the camera provides that you won't injure someone, or just damage the car? In this case it is just a helmet and scooter, but it could have been the neighbors 4yr old daughter drawing with chalk! Sitting in my garage, looking through center rear-view mirror: Looking through the rear window directly: And here is what I see in my PCM with the car in Reverse: (Sony camera gives me direct-down AND wide angle views!) And last, what I saw when if I got out of the car and looked...
+1. The backup camera provides an added safety feature and is a MUST have for all my cars.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 PM
vaderone
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I followed Plenum's install of the Nav Tv camera and love it. Where I live parking spots are tight and I appreciate the additional safety aspect and not running over someone especially a child.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:54 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaution321
+1. The backup camera provides an added safety feature and is a MUST have for all my cars.
+2. This is a great pictorial as to why it's my preference to have the back-up camera.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:19 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Thanks, guys.... And sorry for the "rant".

Old 03-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Or you could do what people did for 100 years. Look behind the car be fore you backup!

Quick Reply: 2014 991 S backup camera