Sponsored by:

Rear window cleaning....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rear window cleaning....

Is it only I that thinks cleaning the inside of the rear window is the biggest pain in the a--. If anyone has tips or advice on how to get the inside of the window really clean , I would appreciate it! I sweated like a pig back there and still see towel swirls and is not really that sparkling clean. Advice or products would be appreciated. I do not use micro- fiber towels to clean but specially known window towels and Adams cleaner....
Old 03-22-2015, 08:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Split into two parts. Left side. Right side. Don't try to clean in one stage.

Make your own glass cleaner. One part denatured alcohol to two parts distilled water in a spray bottle.

Use only glass dedicated 100% white terry cloth towel. Never washed with or dried with fabric softener.

Spray glass cleaner into towel. Wash glass. Take another towel. Buff dry.

Done. Win concours.

For the large 991 windshield I split into 4 sections. Top left. Bottom left. Top right. Bottom right.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If you think yours is tough, try doing it with a harness bar! I sweated like a pig too, until I figured out there's a better way. Griot's makes a funky looking triangle on a stick tool made just for this. I've never tried it! Instead I take some nice thick 100% cotton hand towels- not wash towels (too small) not bath towels (too big). Although you might want to use a large bath towel to cover your fabric/leather back there before you start. Speaking of which, if there's any leather near the glass you want to condition do that first.

Then spray a generous amount of Griot's Glass Cleaner. Anything will work, I just like Griot's because its clear (no dyes) cleans well and comes with a sprayer you can adjust accurately to avoid misting everywhere. Whatever you use, the key is to use enough so the cleaner and towels do the work, not you!

Take the first towel, fold it, and clean around the edges. Fold it again so anything dirty or wet stays away from the glass. If in doubt, grab another towel. This time you are going to wipe in one smooth steady motion all the way from one side to the other. Gradually lift the leading edge as you go along, so that you're always lifting the grime off the glass. Especially as you get to the end at the other side, you want to be pulling/lifting that edge so only clean towel is on the glass. Fold the towel again, move down a bit, repeat.

(Experienced readers will recognize this technique as very similar to the one I also recommend for washing, detailing and toweling off. Well, there you go!)

Take your time. Don't wipe fast. Your goal is for the towel to clean and absorb everything in one pass. Go too fast, the towel can't absorb everything, you may leave a streak. Yes it is the opposite of what everyone does and sounds counterintuitive. Whatever. It works.

At the bottom where its tight you fold or roll the towel to get in there and do the same again. None of this back and forth business everyone does. That works great other places where you have the room to move. Back here it has to be once and done.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM
woodranch
Pro

LexVan, were do we buy these white terry cloth towels from or chuck911 were do you get your cotton towels? Thank you very much!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
LexVan, were do we buy these white terry cloth towels from or chuck911 were do you get your cotton towels? Thank you very much!
Target had good ones years ago. I think the brand was Vaaroom. Something like that in their automotive section.

Just buy cotton hand towels on sale and cut in half. Not too think.

Only use for glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-free-windows/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...lishing-towel/

Use cotton for bed sheets and drying off after a shower (or sweating like a pig after cleaning interior in full sunlight). No need to touch a car with it.

For glass >>> Lint free!

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...02/16-x-12-S1/
Old 03-22-2015, 11:36 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

http://www.asseenontv.com/detail.php...308431b8354ae7

Love it.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

You guys want to know the secret to clean, streak - free glass? It's all in the towel, not the liquid. I can use plain water and get it sparking....you need to buy a glass microfiber towel and only use it for glass. Guaranteed to work or send me your towel and I'll buy it from you. You can get them from many detailing supply shops....try it!

http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html
Old 03-23-2015, 08:30 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You guys want to know the secret to clean, streak - free glass? It's all in the towel, not the liquid. I can use plain water and get it sparking....you need to buy a glass microfiber towel and only use it for glass. Guaranteed to work or send me your towel and I'll buy it from you. You can get them from many detailing supply shops....try it!

http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html
It's rare that the doctors allow DRC out of his padded room and give him a computer to use, so take advantage of this window. He speaketh the truth, although I do confess to also using a high quality window cleaner such as "Invisible Glass". I also use the triangle thingie that Chuck referred to up above, to get those tight corners. But also having these really fine dedicated MF glass towels makes it easier and reduces leftover lint, streaks, etc.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM
woodranch
Pro

Default Auxiliary Bluetooth Streaming

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
My wife has this thing where every so often she just has to replace perfectly good bath towels. So I have her check the tags, fold them, and add to the stack by the car.

Only problem is, I now have so many perfectly good 100% cotton towels I hate to see them go to waste and its frustrating reading about all the new technology fibers that clean so good just having one in your glove box sucks all the dirt and dust right onto the towel. It almost enough to make me part with the $10. Probably would, if it would get the pig sweat too…. What's that? Absorbs seven times its weight in pig sweat??? I'm in!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 AM
STG
Race Director

$3.32 today only guys!! Glass Microfiber!

Product Description

The Glass Microfiber Towel is designed specifically to be a lint free and streak free way to clean your glass. Its tight weave clings to glass making it very difficult for streaks and contaminates to be left behind. The tight bond it forms with the glass helps the force exerted from your hand be more evenly distributed throughout the glass cleaning process. Use one side of the towel to apply a glass cleaner and then buff away any residue with a dry part of the towel. This towel can be washed (no fabric softener) and re-used over and over again. If you are used to paper towels, newspapers, rags or other tools to clean glass you will be thoroughly impressed with this microfiber glass towel.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...ily-03-26-2015
Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM
woodranch
Pro

Bought a couple a few days ago after your other post.Waiting for them to arrive!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:38 PM
GT John
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to say first that I'm a clean window junkie. Having had a car with a full cage (GT3) you need to get creative to clean the rear window. Considering the rear window does not really get "dirty" you really do not need cleaner. Most of the time you only have to remove the film that builds up on it (front windshield as well). I just use the same triangle shaped tool tool mentioned above with a good thick microfiber cloth like you would use to remove wax. Using the tool to guide the cloth, fairly aggressively rub the entire glass and it will remove the film amazingly well. This was a tip I got from a guy in the glass business. Try it out... Again, I do this on the inside of my windshield as well. Also, I agree about the microfiber glass cloths, a must for streak free windows.

Quick Reply: Rear window cleaning....