Sponsored by:

Water spots.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Water spots.......

Just was detailing my new(used) 991s and noticed a few water spots on the sun roof area. As I am not a detailer or close to one ,is it worth it to buy a (Griots)? random orbital polisher and try to remove them myself ? I am sure some of you are pro's as detailing your car but I know nothing with hand machines. Is it pretty basic? Thanks again?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Have your car paint corrected and sealed by a pro. It will take out all swirls/light scratches and spots. The paint sealer will give it a 1-2 yr (depending on care) protection against the elements.

In addition to being a top detailer in the USA, Moe is the best paint protection film installer in the USA as well.

Lucky you, he's next door to you. I WISH I had him nearby.

http://www.glisteningperfection.com/index.php
Old 03-21-2015, 04:07 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Just was detailing my new(used) 991s and noticed a few water spots on the sun roof area. As I am not a detailer or close to one ,is it worth it to buy a (Griots)? random orbital polisher and try to remove them myself ? I am sure some of you are pro's as detailing your car but I know nothing with hand machines. Is it pretty basic? Thanks again?
Yes, worth it. And yes, pretty basic.

The pro's love to promote the mystery of the dark arts aspect of it, and there is some truth to the idea that exactly how you do it and what you use does make a difference. But really, its wash, clay, polish and wax.

Alwaystry the least aggressive approach first. In this case that means wash, then clay. If you're lucky your water spots are mostly surface deposits and the clay will remove them. But water spots tend to etch into the paint, and this means you'll have to polish to remove them.

Your best bet is to get one of the Griot's package deals with Car Wash, Clay, Machine 4 Polish, Orange Polishing pad and Speed Shine. Any random orbital with hook and loop pad holder will do. You don't need a lot of power or pressure but a lot of guys feel cool hefting that big ol' Porter Cable around. If that's you go for it, but its totally unnecessary. As is a lot of stuff that goes beyond the short list above! Microfiber towels, bucket, you're pretty much done. With what you need to care for the paint, anyway….
Old 03-21-2015, 12:13 PM
woodranch
Pro

Chuck with that Groits orbital is it pretty swirl free if you dont use much pressure?
Also I will try to clay it first....maybe I will get lucky!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuck911
The pro's love to promote the mystery of the dark arts aspect of it
Actually there is a lot to paint correction and professional auto detailing. I suggest you follow Moe Mistry's posts.

I also suggest reading this article by the guy who works on my car.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ing-02-26-2015

The level that they operate is far above the average guy spinning an orbital over a few cans of beer on a Saturday afternoon (Chuck).

It all depends on the level of result you expect out of your car finish.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Chuck with that Groits orbital is it pretty swirl free if you dont use much pressure? Also I will try to clay it first....maybe I will get lucky!
You're asking the guy (Chuck) who washes his car in the mountain rain and uses his hankerchief or bandana to dry it off??

With a little spit shine to top it off??
Old 03-21-2015, 12:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Some things the pros can do better than me. I'm the only one who ever washes my car though.

Pictures after a proper "pro" paint correction and sealant.

This car looks better than any car in any Porsche showroom.

But what do I know??

Old 03-21-2015, 01:11 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Chuck with that Groits orbital is it pretty swirl free if you dont use much pressure?
Also I will try to clay it first....maybe I will get lucky!
Zero swirls, regardless of pressure.

That's why you use a random. They're made with a pad that rotates freely. By design there's no way they can damage, at least not when used with the right pad and polish. You can always remove too much paint if you're determined!

Swirls are most commonly caused by toweling off, either with a towel with polyester in it, or a wadded up towel with specks of dirt/dust.

This is where it gets into the dark arts/details of how you do it area. Never use a wadded up towel. Whether drying, detailing, or removing polish or wax, your microfiber or 100% cotton towels must always be folded, so only the nice soft fabric and never the nylon-sewn edge touches paint. Turn, refold and replace long before you think is necessary. Especially when drying, but also when washing it helps to work only back and forth in straight lines. Its only safe to move in circles when working on a clean surface, like when using clay, polish or wax. Once you're done with that, for all general cleaning/drying, its back and forth. Gently, folded, no pressure, no swirls.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:16 PM
woodranch
Pro

STG991 got your airfare picked up.When will you get out here a do my car. Should be easy, same color as yours!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuck911
Zero swirls, regardless of pressure. Whether drying, detailing, or removing polish or wax, your microfiber or 100% cotton
Correction:

There are many different polishes (aggressive to very fine) and many different pads.

The pros have experience on what it will take, many times with multiple steps, to achieve the desired finish.

Swirls CAN be and ARE caused by buffers and pads. See what the stealerships do to brand new cars!

Never use cotton towels on a car finish. They do scratch. They were used prior to the invention of the microfiber towel.

I'm done!!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:32 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG991
Correction:

There are many different polishes (aggressive to very fine) and many different pads.

The pros have experience on what it will take, many times with multiple steps, to achieve the desired finish.

Swirls CAN be and ARE caused by buffers and pads. See what the stealerships do to brand new cars!

Never use cotton towels on a car finish. They do scratch. They were used prior to the invention of the microfiber towel.

I'm done!!
Breathe, man, exhale, let it out. Ooooommmm……

Anything will scratch if used wrong. Microfiber isn't magic. I returned some to the store one time when I discovered to my amazement it was the microfiber towel that was putting scratches in my car. Not one towel in the pile of 100% cotton towels I have used over 20 years now has ever scratched my car up like those microfiber towels did.

Speaking as a guy who's been doing this for over 20 years, there are some pretty definite groups that stand out to me. One group is professionals and pro wanna-be's who are fairly new to detailing. Full of passion these guys are dead certain of the superiority of their nano whatever yadda yadda. Watch some of these guys long enough you will notice they discover a new nano whatever yadda yadda every other week. Each one's the best!!! Can you feel my passion! Follow me to paradise!

Then there's a small group of professionals and other detailers who've been around long enough to have seen many yadda yadda cycles and take a more balanced approach. Griot's epitomizes this, but the AMMO guy is definitely in there too.

Of course there's the group that pays the pro's, and therefore having spent a bundle becomes dead certain that's the only way to go. (See: cognitive dissonance.)

Then there's the biggest group, the novice enthusiasts. These guys really do want to learn to do it right. Most of them just want to have a beautiful car to drive. A few want more, and get sucked into the wanna-be trap. Most though really just want to know if its possible to have a superbly gleaming car to drive every day, and if they can do it themselves, in a reasonable amount of time, with a reasonable amount of effort. (They can.)

The OP strikes me as an enthusiast, and I would much rather educate him than see him get shredded in the crossfire between the groups. So… breathe…..
Old 03-21-2015, 03:22 PM
STG
Race Director

I'd consider myself an OCD "pro" enthusiast!

I let the pro detailer polish and seal my car once every year or two. This takes out all the imperfections, fine scratches, and swirls that the previous owner did. We're talking two guys at it over a 6-8hr day.

After that point, I'm a big enthusiast in washing, detailing, and maintaining that finish. Proper washing and maintaining techniques will keep all those imperfections to a complete minimum going forward. The average wash personally takes me 3-4hrs. I never let anybody wash my car.

Once the sealant starts wearing off after a year or two, back to step one with a fresh paint correction and sealant.

Overall, nobody spends more time touching my car than I do.

** Don't forget, don't wash you car in any sunlight, and never let the water dry on it! Water spot issue number 1!!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
woodranch
Pro

I have heard 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar sometimes works on getting out water spots.Then you must re-wax over the infected area.Has anyone had luck with vinegar?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:16 PM
STG
Race Director

I have heard 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar sometimes works on getting out water spots.Then you must re-wax over the infected area.Has anyone had luck with vinegar?
Geez, for a minute I thought you were describing Chuck's ratio for Rum & Coke's!

He has to be on #6
Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

STG, I am so lucky to only live 15 minutes from you! The Viper Green C4 991 'S' arrived yesterday. You are more than welcome to wash it anytime you want
I hate washing cars

Quick Reply: Water spots.......