Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak-Retaining Bar Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 03:40 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Coolant Leak-Retaining Bar Experiment

Got the idea from the recent discussions on coolant leaks. Thanks for that!

About $38 in parts. Need to buy the retaining bar and 3 longer E10 bolts to accommodate the thickness of the bar. Part #s in photo.

I have a very intermittent tiny drip, so figured I would try this retaining bar and see if it’s a quick fix. Or not.

I’ll follow up once I’ve got some miles on it.

Figured if I take it apart to clean the surface and replace O-ring, I’m going to use the retaining bar anyway. So why not try it first? 🤔

Very simple install, had maybe 3 ounces of coolant drip out when I was installing the bar.
Put a small container under the coolant pipe before you loosen the bolts.
Work fast!

The bar is a clever design with some tabs machined in to distribute pressure evenly across the entire mating surface of the coolant pipe (tried to capture in last pic).

Needed a Torx E10-1/4” socket, small wobble extension helped, but prob. not necessary.

Hope it works! 🤞🏽🤞🏽

Part #s

Retaining bar

Machined tabs/flange to distribute force evenly.

Photo by member “IXLR8” of common leak.

Last edited by Jpbarnlight; 04-20-2024 at 08:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jpbarnlight:
IXLR8 (04-15-2024), Jim981CS (04-16-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 07:58 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

I don’t want to get too overconfident, but since I put the retaining bar on, I haven’t had one drip of coolant.

Not a scientific experiment, but seems to be working so far! 🤞🏽

Last edited by Jpbarnlight; 04-20-2024 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 06:54 AM
SafetyP1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting, so instead of taking it all apart to fix the drip, you e just added the retaining bar?

When I spoke to Porsche Reading UK, they told me the part number in your picture was for a boxter or cayman. But I guess it’s the same pipe as our 991.1.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:33 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

yes, I just cleaned up the area and added the bar.

I had a small drip, enough that you could see pink residue around the pipe often after a drive.

Nothing after I added the bar.

I think it’s worth a try, from my experience.

Last edited by Jpbarnlight; 04-21-2024 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:16 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyP1
Interesting, so instead of taking it all apart to fix the drip, you e just added the retaining bar?

When I spoke to Porsche Reading UK, they told me the part number in your picture was for a boxter or cayman. But I guess it’s the same pipe as our 991.1.
The technical service bulletin calls for both 981 and 991 for model years 2014 thru 2016 for this loss of coolant repair with the same part numbers.
Jim

Old 04-22-2024, 10:54 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpbarnlight
Got the idea from the recent discussions on coolant leaks. Thanks for that!

About $38 in parts. Need to buy the retaining bar and 3 longer E10 bolts to accommodate the thickness of the bar. Part #s in photo.

I have a very intermittent tiny drip, so figured I would try this retaining bar and see if it’s a quick fix. Or not.

I’ll follow up once I’ve got some miles on it.

Figured if I take it apart to clean the surface and replace O-ring, I’m going to use the retaining bar anyway. So why not try it first? 🤔

Very simple install, had maybe 3 ounces of coolant drip out when I was installing the bar.
Put a small container under the coolant pipe before you loosen the bolts.
Work fast!

The bar is a clever design with some tabs machined in to distribute pressure evenly across the entire mating surface of the coolant pipe (tried to capture in last pic).

Needed a Torx E10-1/4” socket, small wobble extension helped, but prob. not necessary.

Hope it works! 🤞🏽🤞🏽
I installed the retaining bar today, after I procrastinated a year to install it. I wanted to prevent a future leak. Thanks for your tips! The only thing I might add is to crack all 3 bolts loose then remove the 2 end bolts first and clean the plastic flange. Coolant will not start to leak / flow until the center bolt (in the water jacket) is removed. And when installing the retaining bar install the center bolt first to stop the coolant flow/leak. And yes work fast. Also wear a short sleeve shirt or roll up your sleeves before removing the center bolt and remove your Apple Watch to save coolant clean up….ask me how I know.😂
Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim981CS:
Jpbarnlight (04-22-2024), wkearney99 (Yesterday)
Old 04-22-2024, 11:03 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
I installed the retaining bar today, after I procrastinated a year to install it. I wanted to prevent a future leak. Thanks for your tips! The only thing I might add is to crack all 3 bolts loose then remove the 2 end bolts first and clean the plastic flange. Coolant will not start to leak / flow until the center bolt (in the water jacket) is removed. And when installing the retaining bar install the center bolt first to stop the coolant flow/leak. And yes work fast. Also wear a short sleeve shirt or roll up your sleeves before removing the center bolt and remove your Apple Watch to save coolant clean up….ask me how I know.😂
Jim
Excellent! 😀

Yeah, I got quite a surprise when the center bolt came out and coolant started flowing quickly. I didn’t realize there was a proper order to do it.

So far, all good. Zero drips!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jpbarnlight:
Jim981CS (04-22-2024), SafetyP1 (04-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak-Retaining Bar Experiment