Sponsored by:

Oh no! Not again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Playing dumb is the best move.
If it will get fixed under the existing open claim, just let it be.
Let the body shop deal with the insurance, they know the game best.
Just make sure body shop is reputable and not the type that cuts corners.

Last thing you want is insuramce thinking you have high accident count and a 2nd car fax ding.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I agree. Pisses me off too. It's like they are in a contest to see how close they can come to your rear bumper.
rule of thumb, if you cannot see where the car in front rear wheels meet the road you are too close, you will not be able to pull out around them if needed,
and closer, you are too close, and further away, you are wasting inter-car
space...

to the OP, I would report the 2nd incident to the responsible parties insurance.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Stevie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UPDATE 3/24/15

Porsche of Huntington has just selected Supreme Auto Collision (http://www.supremeautocollision.com/Services.html) after releasing a previous body shop and my car is the second from this dealer. Supreme now has 3 Car-o-Line benches and looks like they want to do business with Porsche but here is the thing:

After removing the bumper and disposable impact bar, there was a small dent in the frame, about the size of a quarter. When I got there to inspect, it was covered with bondo, despite my request not to begin repairs. The owner states that they had it on the rack and all the points checked out. I advised him that Porsche requires the frame to be replaced not repaired. He strongly feels there was not the kind of damage as in "So you think its just a bumper job, eh?".

I think there may be more issues if they pulled the engine and replaced it (having to go back to Porsche for the pull; back to the shop for the frame replace; back to Porsche for the engine install; back to the shop to complete the work.) What is the worst of 2 evils: Pulling the engine and hoping they put it back right or, buttoning it up with just the evidently damaged pieces replaced?

Is there a definitive Porsche line for such questions as to when the engine and frame must be replace? Who do I trust? (destroying the car is not an option)

Thanks_Steve
Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Whatever it takes to get the car back to its original state.
No expense should be spared and it's certainly not the body shop owners call on what is right for your car.

If there was a dent in the frame, he should have stopped right there and contacted Porsche.

Sorry for your hassles, but these cars are so precise that I would go the long and painful way to ensure that it's done right. If that means the dealer has to yank the engine and flatbed the car to the body shop, then so be it.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Final point, the body shop is going by aesthetics and not a pinpoint balanced vehicle.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The body shop should be able to properly drop the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The body shop should be able to properly drop the motor.
OMFG! Body shop guys shouldn't even be let near any tool required to pull or drop a motor much less allowed to use said tools. On any car.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
OMFG! Body shop guys shouldn't even be let near any tool required to pull or drop a motor much less allowed to use said tools. On any car.
+1
Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duxsi
Whatever it takes to get the car back to its original state.
No expense should be spared and it's certainly not the body shop owners call on what is right for your car.

If there was a dent in the frame, he should have stopped right there and contacted Porsche.

Sorry for your hassles, but these cars are so precise that I would go the long and painful way to ensure that it's done right. If that means the dealer has to yank the engine and flatbed the car to the body shop, then so be it.
+1
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Not even sure Supreme is an Approved Porsche repair shop, so don't know why Huntington is having them do it. Sounds to me that he has no clue and just wants to get it done asap and collect $. Throw in your zip code to check out approved shops.

https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...&submit.y=-108
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Listen to Porsche nuts and Larry.

No authorized Porsche Collision Center Shop would:

Put bondo in a dent in the frame.

Remove the engine at the body shop (even a Porsche Authorized one)

The car needs to go to the dealer, have the engine removed, the car go back to the body shop and then back to the dealer.

FYI, the body shop that posted that thread "So You think" is one of only a few in Los Angeles.

If that shop didn't listen to you, proceeded to fill a dent in the sub frame with bondo and is arguing with you, get your car out of there ASAP.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:41 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, the Body Shop is considered the "expert professional" and the insurance company will jump all over a bondo-the-frame solution, if the Body Shop says it's OK to do it.

If you can get the Porsche Shop Foreman (or other Porsche Rep) to condemn your frame, then the Body Shop may fall in line and perform the frame replacement.
I think this is a slim chance, but might be worth a try.

If not, you need to find the highest rated Porsche Certified Shop and take your car there.
Be prepared for the 1st Body Shop to want to charge you for shop time and storage, while they had the car.
Pay it, plus towing, if need be, to get your car moved to a better shop.
I doubt the insurance company will support you on moving the car, but they should cover your costs in the end.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for the shout out regard our bumper post. I'll have to keep the post quick so let me only add that if you've done your research, it's generally a good idea to take the advice of the shop (again, assuming you've done your research). A successful shop doesn't need your business that bad to compromise their rep. Because this is what we do, we have WAY more expertise than we could ever convey.

Happy Rennlisting!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Stevie, why didn't you take your car to Sam Zamir's shop to begin with??

Sam Zamir, your shop can do a motor remove and replace on a 991, right??

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-28-2015, 01:01 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I want to amend, expand and add precision to the above. That's a general statement.

I've seen too many 'insurance approved' shops with tools little more sophisticated than a hammer and the results of their work. I've spent non-trivial time over the last 20 years finding and fixing issues caused by such shops. The crap I've seen done to Porsche's - from work done poorly to parts the insurance company paid for that were not replaced - leads to that generalization. I would never let a body shop chosen at random work on a car I cared about.

There are always exceptions to generalizations. This:

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir
Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for the shout out regard our bumper post. I'll have to keep the post quick so let me only add that if you've done your research, it's generally a good idea to take the advice of the shop (again, assuming you've done your research).
... is much better. The key is to do research.

From the other thread:

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir
At the Porsche Training center, we do this exact repair (and a similar job on the front and sides) on training cars (called white body cars). And we are encouraged to risk mistakes and mess up there (versus in the real world). We let the service department handle the mechanical portions (they have their own training), just as they leave these things to us.

So if this car ends up at a non-PACC, since they can't even get the parts, they will just patch the cosmetic and pretend they never saw this damage?
It's clear that Sam's shop is one of the exceptions. They've obviously committed-to, and invested-in, doing the job correctly.

For any car for which one has an attachment - as opposed to a car that's going to get 'used up' - it's necessary to find shops that demonstrate the above commitment to quality.

Quick Reply: Oh no! Not again...